KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Mat. I live in Auckland, New Zealand and I've had my Duke 390 for just three short weeks (after six very long months of waiting).

Being in the Southern hemisphere we're just coming into summer. So the riding is pretty good at the moment.

It's all a bit of a (re)learning experience for me at the moment, having been without a bike for 13 years. But the Duke is a brilliant tool for that particular job. A little less powerful than I had hoped, but quite capable of hustling along at licence-losing speeds.

Along with my riding skills, I'm also having to learn something a lot less palatable: to be comfortable as a living breathing cliché – the mid-life crisis biker. At least I didn't get a Harley, eh?

m

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome and congratulations. Please post some pics of your Duke 390 and tell us your impressions on the riding position and performance of the bike. Since in the US we do not yet have a 390 on which to sit.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
congrats on becoming an owner of a 390.
what bikes have you owned in the past? just trying to get an idea of what the 390 will e like for you

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bikes I've owned? Hmmmm ... a motley collection.

- Triumph Tiger Cub with the worst brakes of any motorbike ever made.
- Yamaha RD250 that seized with monotonous regularity (mostly because I ragged it mercilessly).
- Kawasaki Z250 that spent most of its life with a completely open exhaust, much to the dismay of everyone in a 1 mile radius.
- Yamaha XJ550 that was stolen twice. Once to be the getaway vehicle in a bank robbery.
- Moto Guzzi Monza that broke down the day I bought it and never ran again.
- MZ 251 that dragged me around London in all weathers and survived being dropped on average twice a year, driven into the back of a car once and completely neglected always.
- Kawasaki Z650 with nagging carbonation issues.
- Kawasaki KDX250 that actually ran on 2T premix (even the MZ had an oil pump) and was geared to climb walls.

No sports bikes and not much that is particularly recent. Nothing really big either. I think the 390 fits in quite well :)

m

·
Registered
533 Posts
LOL
to be comfortable as a living breathing cliché
welcome aboard badger! Is North America really the last place to be getting the Duke GAHHH. I want to at least fondle it in the garage during the winter, who doesn't ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
@badgermat

Being in the Southern hemisphere we're just coming into summer. So the riding is pretty good at the moment.
Must be nice! I am jealous of two things the fact you got the Duke 390 and the weather :(

well... How is it!? ;)

Welcome btw

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Just getting into summer while a lot of north americans here are preparing for winter, you know we're jealous :D At least you can keep us busy with photo's of your riding journeys

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just getting into summer while a lot of north americans here are preparing for winter, you know we're jealous :D At least you can keep us busy with photo's of your riding journeys
As soon as I work out how to edit my videos, I'll post a few rides up.

'til then, here's my Duke, sitting in the sun.

m

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts

Looks amazing out in the sun!

Do you have plans to get ride of the oem fender or are you just going to keep it as it is?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Looks amazing out in the sun!

Do you have plans to get ride of the oem fender or are you just going to keep it as it is?
Kinda.

When I ordered it, I was convinced that would be the first thing I'd change. But now I'm riding the bike and it's behind me, I don't see it all that often (who knew!) so I'm not nearly so concerned about it.

I probably will change it for the shorty version that Eikon has. Eventually.

m

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Kinda.

When I ordered it, I was convinced that would be the first thing I'd change. But now I'm riding the bike and it's behind me, I don't see it all that often (who knew!) so I'm not nearly so concerned about it.

I probably will change it for the shorty version that Eikon has. Eventually.

m
Do you know when it will become available? and any idea on what it will cost?

·
Registered
817 Posts
The R&G is around $170 au. Have a look on Ebay as there are some cheaper ones around. Theres also one that I found in Italy although its kind of boxy.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The R&G is around $170 au. Have a look on Ebay as there are some cheaper ones around. Theres also one that I found in Italy although its kind of boxy.
whats the name?

We can also use the tidy tails for Duke 125 and 200, I know not much shows up when you search around for Duke 390 tidy tail

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
whats the name?

We can also use the tidy tails for Duke 125 and 200, I know not much shows up when you search around for Duke 390 tidy tail
That is true, i doubt there's much of a difference, if anything the changes that need to be made will be minimal and something any DIY'er can easily do. It's not rocket science.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts