KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Group!

Did the paperwork today on a 2019 390 Duke. The bike is in the crate so I am picking it up next week. I am so excited and it appears this is a fantastic support group. A couple of quick questions to be sure I have everything straight:

What manuals etc. come with the bike?
How many keys should there be?
Is the Bluetooth active or is this separate / additional charge feature?
Does the bike require a valve adjustment at the first 600 mile service?

Thank You in Advance!
Rob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Group!

Did the paperwork today on a 2019 390 Duke. The bike is in the crate so I am picking it up next week. I am so excited and it appears this is a fantastic support group. A couple of quick questions to be sure I have everything straight:

What manuals etc. come with the bike?

How many keys should there be?

Is the Bluetooth active or is this separate / additional charge feature?

Does the bike require a valve adjustment at the first 600 mile service?

Thank You in Advance!

Rob
Hello and congrats on your new purchase. The bike comes with both an English and Spanish manuals, 2 keys (my 2nd was under the back pillion), the Bluetooth functionality is there but you have to download the KTM app for the phone. As far as the 600 mile service, my dealership told me that 2017+ 390's don't require any valve adjustment until the 7k mile mark.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
Congrats to you!
I have a 2019 as well. Mine came with one owners’ manual in English (article number 3213940en), two factory cut keys ( the router cut style).
The TFT screen is where you will turn on the Bluetooth feature and pair your phone and/or headset. You do NOT need to download the KTM app as it is for the big bore Adventure series KTM motorcycles.
2019 models do not need a valve check/adjust at 600 miles according to the manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome! I also just picked up my Duke a few days ago, seems as the other guys have answered your questions. I hope your fortunate enough to live in a warm climate ahah. My dukes gonna have 1km sitting in my garage until March ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the feedback! I live in Florida so the best part of the riding season is just starting.

·
Registered
230 Posts
2 keys - mine came with a really nice KTM binder with a KTM pen and the manual in English and Spanish. Its a good place for keeping all your service records.

Bluetooth is totally active...there is NO download needed. you'll just link your phone via the TFT display.

Service is required @ 600 miles. The valve thing is a point of contention around here. I'm am in PA and I can tell you this. When I brought my 2018 in for 1st service. They told me that KTM no longer requires/recommends a valve check. However, they also told me that this makes the 1st service significantly cheaper. IIRC I paid like $250 for the first service.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Folks,

I don't know what is different on the 2019s, but when I bought my 18 in march, the dealer told me the valves didn't need adjustment until the second service (about 9200 miles).
I just check mine this weekend at ~2000 miles, and both exhaust valves were tight
(.1 mm vs .15 - .20). The intakes were at the minimum ( also .1mm vs. .1 - .15). All adjusted to maximum opening now.
It is quite a pain to get to the valves, but not difficult. Very tight in there. At the suggestion of many, I removed the radiator for more room to work. Well worth the trouble in my opinion. I glad I didn't wait until 9200 miles to check them!

Great bike though. You'll love it!

Cheers!
Craig

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Folks,

the dealer told me the valves didn't need adjustment until the second service (about 9200 miles).

That’s the third service dude. The second service is at 4500 miles.

I’ve just had the 4500 mile service, so I might have a look at valve clearances after your experience!

What coolant did you use after removing the radiator?

·
Registered
230 Posts
There's two KTM Apps. You may need the free one (KTM My Ride Connect). I do for my 2018 to control my phone/music. The pay one is for the turn-by-turn nav for the adventure bikes.
Android phone or something? Because I have an iPhone and never needed any app. It's just a BT connection and then the handlebar controls work.

Also everyone - if you use the phone controls a lot (I do) I recommend you set up a shortcut or "Favorite" from the TFT menu. I use the up arrow to bring up the phone controls so I don't have to go digging through menus while riding. I just hit the UP from the main screen and bam - music/phone control.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Android phone or something? Because I have an iPhone and never needed any app. It's just a BT connection and then the handlebar controls work.

Also everyone - if you use the phone controls a lot (I do) I recommend you set up a shortcut or "Favorite" from the TFT menu. I use the up arrow to bring up the phone controls so I don't have to go digging through menus while riding. I just hit the UP from the main screen and bam - music/phone control.
Yep, Android phone. And I second the favorites suggestion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry if this is posted twice...
But yes, Moazman is correct. I should have said "second major service" (when the dealer said the valves get checked).

I just re-used the coolant. It only has ~2000 miles on it and looked new. I added some distilled water to make up for the small amount I spilled. Since the manual calls for replacement every 4 years, I'll replace it next time I check the valves and use whatever coolant KTM suggests. I like to support my local dealer, but I also prefer to do my own service work. I'll do oil changes every 2500 - 3000 miles. The factory interval seems a bit long to me.

My theory on why the dealers mostly say the valves don't need adjustment at the first service is that maybe the valves on most bikes are still within spec at 600 miles so they don't get changed. But by 2 or 3 thousand miles the vales are tight as things are still breaking in. I don't know. But it's cheap insurance to check.

Cheers!
Craig

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello Everyone,

Thought I would follow up here. So the bike came with the binder, owners manual, tool kit, 2 keys, key card, pen, and some marketing wank.

The 1/2019 manual states that the valve adjustment is to be checked every 9,300 miles. Thanks to everyone who responded here!

Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts