KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the site for 160/60/17 rear tires for my 2019 390 Duke.... I saw reports from "it can not work" to "it works well". I have to order a new rear now and my dealer has problems getting the OEM 150/60/17 BUT he has a Michelin Pilot Street 160/60/17 which seems an OK tire. Anyone here that uses this? Comments? Shall I fit it or search further for a 150/60/17? Regards!

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
Search is great: bigger tire size

Ideally, a 140 width will give you the best riding performance at our 4" rim.
The OEM 150 will be the max (riding-wise) for a 4" rim.
This does not mean you can not put a 160+ tyre on it, it just means you will not be able to take advantage of the tyre profile as meant.

·
Registered
527 Posts
... just that wafer thin rear look... I'm going to try the 160... Regards!
Photo comparisons will be appreciated. Curious to see if the 160 does make a thinner, taller tyre or not. I’m guessing some will depend on construction.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Photo comparisons will be appreciated. Curious to see if the 160 does make a thinner, taller tyre or not. I’m guessing some will depend on construction.
I am very satisfied with the 160. It has a slightly higher profile that will bring the revs down a little for highway travelling. It fits the rim well and still has enough clearance on the chain side.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I see now what KTMasean meant about the profile of the tire. Because it's such a wide profile squeezed into a narrow rim, it arches out a lot, and you'll never ride anywhere near the edge.

In other words, your chicken strips will be massive.

You can see how much the tire arches towards the bottom of the tire here, the edge is very close to vertical. It would require leaning at like 80 degrees, which is impossible (most you can hope for is 50-ish under ideal circumstances).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can see how much the tire arches towards the bottom of the tire here, the edge is very close to vertical. It would require leaning at like 80 degrees, which is impossible (most you can hope for is 50-ish under ideal circumstances).
Handling is just pretty fine! (y)

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
Another aspect varoa is that the rubber patch in contact with the road is a lot smaller which is great for straight out riding as this reduces the rolling resistance but the moment you need to get on the brakes hard there will be a lot less energy reduction resulting in a far longer brake distance.
A pinched tyre also "falls" in a bend rather than that you steer it onto the bend.
But if J W C is happy we should all be.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Early days... I rode the 390 yesterday and my initial thoughts about the 160 rear tire is very good! So for now I will not want to go back to the 150. I will update as I go on... Regards!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Early days... I rode the 390 yesterday and my initial thoughts about the 160 rear tire is very good! So for now I will not want to go back to the 150. I will update as I go on... Regards!
Please post a picture of your tires near their edges. I'm curious how much of it you're not using.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure - I hope to ride the twisties soon!! Regards!
Please post a picture of your tires near their edges. I'm curious how much of it you're not using.
I took a 120 km ride of which 40 kms are twisties - unfortunately it was very congested with slower traffic and I could not really push the 390. However I include a left and right photo of the 160. It could go lower (more to the edge) with less / faster traffic but I think it is good. I am very satisfied! Good grip! Rides well! Regards!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts