KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thank you! Why did you choose non-iridium spark plug?
there is an ongoin rumour on internet that iridyum plug might blow up somwhow,thats why i didnt want to take a risk.i am no expert but why take the risk right :)
besides spark plug is cheap,iridyum ones lasts longer but i am willing to change my non iridyum often :ı

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts
Guy's and ladies,

If you type in "Iridium" in the search box, top centre, you will come across a gazillion post on the subject including the myth that iridium would be bad.
The fact is that iridium is a far more resistant material and as such will last far longer than the Bosch/NGK or other brands of conventional copper plugs.
Heat ranges that vary from brand to brand are the determining factor and cross-references are readily available on the web.
So why use iridium? Because you now you take out/exchange the plug only once compared to at least 3x the more conventional plugs and at a certain point in time we will all experience the challenge of the spark plug on our bikes.
There are a lot of Duke/RC riders using iridium plugs for years now (I included on a 200 & 390) and I still need to come across the first factual evidence of an iridium plug causing damage on its own.
Please use the search option more often and you will see most of these topics have been addressed as far back as 2012 (if not mistaken). Have a look here; Spark Plug Types?

·
Registered
390 Duke 2013
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Guy's and ladies,

If you type in "Iridium" in the search box, top centre, you will come across a gazillion post on the subject including the myth that iridium would be bad.
The fact is that iridium is a far more resistant material and as such will last far longer than the Bosch/NGK or other brands of conventional copper plugs.
Heat ranges that vary from brand to brand are the determining factor and cross-references are readily available on the web.
So why use iridium? Because you now you take out/exchange the plug only once compared to at least 3x the more conventional plugs and at a certain point in time we will all experience the challenge of the spark plug on our bikes.
There are a lot of Duke/RC riders using iridium plugs for years now (I included on a 200 & 390) and I still need to come across the first factual evidence of an iridium plug causing damage on its own.
Please use the search option more often and you will see most of these topics have been addressed as far back as 2012 (if not mistaken). Have a look here; Spark Plug Types?
KTM official service has actually changed the stock plug to NGK iridium one yesterday without any additional commentary :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
In response to the question about the bike feeling all herky-jerky and not smooth at speed, I would also check the chain tension. If the chain is too loose, it can be a source of jerkiness when rolling on and off the throttle.

As others have mentioned, the 390 isn't a super smooth running bike due to its' high strung single cylinder, but it shouldn't feel unstable or super unruly at speed.

·
Registered
390 Duke 2013
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
In response to the question about the bike feeling all herky-jerky and not smooth at speed, I would also check the chain tension. If the chain is too loose, it can be a source of jerkiness when rolling on and off the throttle.

As others have mentioned, the 390 isn't a super smooth running bike due to its' high strung single cylinder, but it shouldn't feel unstable or super unruly at speed.
You are correct, it's just KTM :) I was told yesterday that the Duke is absolutely fine!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts