KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody fitted new sprockets, and chain....about to get first service done, was thinkin of getting orange z chain and orange all 47T end sprocket.....do this and a quick throttle mod...any thoughts..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Anybody fitted new sprockets, and chain....about to get first service done, was thinkin of getting orange z chain and orange all 47T end sprocket.....do this and a quick throttle mod...any thoughts..
I'd just wait until the original ones are shot... It'll come soon enough anyway!

·
Registered
817 Posts
There isnt any sprockets available. If you look in the latest Powerparts theres only options for the RC390.....anyone noticed KTM have ditched the 6 bolt hub and put a 4 bolt one on the RC?
I wouldnt expect any sprockets for the 390 for a long time, unless you buy one through Mostin.

·
Registered
533 Posts
There isnt any sprockets available. If you look in the latest Powerparts theres only options for the RC390.....anyone noticed KTM have ditched the 6 bolt hub and put a 4 bolt one on the RC?
I wouldnt expect any sprockets for the 390 for a long time, unless you buy one through Mostin.
I didn't even know there were Powerparts showing for the RC's, you have link perchance? I tried to navigate through the KTM Aus site but turned up no bueno...

Is Mos really the only with with D390 sprockets? He could do some real damage with that position right now ;)

Edit: nvm the link just saw mitch's thread :D

I see they have 4 bolt on the D125 and 200 interestingly enough... Why was the 390 special? is the 690 six bolts, that could be an option...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Dunno why the difference, I was wondering the same thing. Possibly initially worried but found the 6 was overkill or decided it wasnt worth the cost, if the RC starts snapping hubs we'll know it needs the 6 :)
The 690 uses the countersunk bolts like most sprockets on the market, the 390 uses the nuts and stop plate so changes would need to be made with bolts and hub.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Dunno why the difference, I was wondering the same thing. Possibly initially worried but found the 6 was overkill or decided it wasnt worth the cost, if the RC starts snapping hubs we'll know it needs the 6 :)
The 690 uses the countersunk bolts like most sprockets on the market, the 390 uses the nuts and stop plate so changes would need to be made with bolts and hub.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How would you know if a sprocket would fit the 390?

I found some sprockets in amazon and they are really cheap.

But I'm not sure if they would fit.

Here's one for example:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was at a ktm dealer a few weeks ago and I believe the 390 uses the same countershaft sprocket and the freeride 350 if that helps

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was at a ktm dealer a few weeks ago and I believe the 390 uses the same countershaft sprocket and the freeride 350 if that helps
]

Nice! Thanks for that info.

From the info given here:

KTM Freeride 350 2014 - Highlights

It's appears that the 350 free is BASED on "the successful engine of the 350 EXC-F"

I'm not sure if that also translates to it having the same sprocket size but checking on the amazon page, the sprocket would fit a 350 EXC-F. Hmmm

·
Registered
817 Posts
Both the Freeride and EXC ranges have bolt mounted sprockets not retaining plate sprockets like the 390. The spline will probably be the same but not retention type, oneday when I take the sprocket off the Duke I will check with an EXC spare I have. I also have a rear Im curious about as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Both the Freeride and EXC ranges have bolt mounted sprockets not retaining plate sprockets like the 390. The spline will probably be the same but not retention type, oneday when I take the sprocket off the Duke I will check with an EXC spare I have. I also have a rear Im curious about as well.
Nice. Let us know if it fits or not.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For anyone interested in a 47t rear sprocket, I can now get them for £47 it's about a fortnight lead time and unfortunately the price would be plus postage to wherever I'm posting it out to.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For anyone interested in a 47t rear sprocket, I can now get them for £47 it's about a fortnight lead time and unfortunately the price would be plus postage to wherever I'm posting it out to.
I would get those at that price... too bad there would be additional shipping + taxes

·
Registered
2019 KTM Duke 390 w/RapidBike Evo ECU piggyback
23 Posts
I recently did the 7500km service and since my chain was rusty and worn out unevenly I ordered an really cool kit from the USA with DiD chain and 15/43 steel sprockets.
I decided to go with 43T in the rear because I ride mostly on highways and it lowered down the rpm at 100km/h by about 6% which is very helpful for comfort (less vibrations) . It has no noticeable effect on fuel economy as engine needs to struggle a bit harder to push you against the wind.
I do not regret effectively elongating all my gears. 1st gear became actually useful so as 2nd and 3rd and 4th. The bike feels more relaxed and less like dirt bike; it feels more “mature” and gears are looooooong lol. I ride in 3rd and 4th in the city all the time now. There’s no need to switch to 5th unless I go on the hwy.
On the hwy, though things are interesting. If there’s traffic I use the 5th gear up to about 110km/h so it’s very useful and you don’t need to jump between 4th and 6th like before.
That means that the 6th is reserved only for flat roads with more than 110km/h.
Interestingly the top speed was reduced to 140km/h as the engine simply doesn’t have the torque needed to push against the wind. Theoretically I should be going faster, but in my case 43t sprocket made the bike slower at the top. Who cares!? I don’t ride faster than 120km/h anyways.

·
Registered
158 Posts
140 km/h!!!??? Dude, somethin' must be wrong(?). I'm using 16/43, with stock ecu, 2019, and mine has no problem pulling right up to 100 mph... [er, 161km/h, by interpolation]. So what gives?

Not criticizing. Expressing concern.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow.. yeah.. I don't get it.
But ya knowwwwwww...
I guess this, once again, just serves to prove to me, that my life is full of all kinds of inexplicable mysteries.
Personally, I'll take mysterious, any day, over [something I just edited out].

Anybody else to weigh in on this?
I'm at 14 feet above sea level, relative humidity is usually 70-95 %, temp is usually 72-95 F, fuel is Shell 93 US.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts