KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
I seem to be able to adjust my rear shock with the tool from the toolkit. It's easier from one side or the other, depending on which way you are turning the stepped ring. However, it's easy to scratch the frame - at least the scratches are on the underside.

I weigh 160 in my gear, and step #4 works for me. I have used an old trick to check if the front and rear springs and damping are roughly equal or not. I bounce on the seat, with and without holding the front brake, and use my "excellent ass" (ala Niki Lauda) to feel if they deflect equally.

Every time I think of the following scene in "Rush" I have to laugh. A must-see if you haven't already!

·
Registered
916 Posts
I seem to be able to adjust my rear shock with the tool from the toolkit. It's easier from one side or the other, depending on which way you are turning the stepped ring. However, it's easy to scratch the frame - at least the scratches are on the underside.

I weigh 160 in my gear, and step #4 works for me. I have used an old trick to check if the front and rear springs and damping are roughly equal or not. I bounce on the seat, with and without holding the front brake, and use my "excellent ass" (ala Niki Lauda) to feel if they deflect equally.

Every time I think of the following scene in "Rush" I have to laugh. A must-see if you haven't already!
I am not prepared to scratch my frame. You are going to leave yourself open to corrosion and flaking issues.
And Rush is a terrific movie, because it's about my hero !!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am not prepared to scratch my frame. You are going to leave yourself open to corrosion and flaking issues.
And Rush is a terrific movie, because it's about my hero !!!
Niki or Hunt? >:D
I live where there is never salt on the roads, and that powder coating seems pretty durable to me. Corrosion is not a concern.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Niki or Hunt? >:D
I live where there is never salt on the roads, and that powder coating seems pretty durable to me. Corrosion is not a concern.
I am currently wearing a Hesketh T shirt !!!!

Reactions: Ubik

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah, i have no issues either, stand on the right side of the bike, grab the coil wrench and the handle extension out of the tool pouch and just turn it from behind the frame
""coil wrench and the handle extension out of the tool pouch"" WTF? Pic please. I called KTM who told me the spanner wrench was not in tool kit but available to purchase for approx. $40.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
MalJohann, are you referring to the one that comes with the bike or something out of their catalog?
Not sure that its in the catalog, but you can order it over the counter at a KTM dealer, its specifically for the 390 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am from India. There is no rear shock adjustment spanner in the standard tool kit. However, I wrote to KTM India and they asked the local dealer to help me. They got one fabricated (and very beautifully too) and gave it to me. It works well without any danger of damaging the paint on the frame.

I am 80 Kg and the factory setting suits me perfectly. I tried stiffening the setting, but realised that the original one is best

·
Registered
916 Posts
I am from India. There is no rear shock adjustment spanner in the standard tool kit. However, I wrote to KTM India and they asked the local dealer to help me. They got one fabricated (and very beautifully too) and gave it to me. It works well without any danger of damaging the paint on the frame.

I am 80 Kg and the factory setting suits me perfectly. I tried stiffening the setting, but realised that the original one is best
There is one in the US tool kit, it just doesn't fit due to the angle of the rear section of the trellis frame.
I'm going to bend mine.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Honestly guys, it's not a long or hard job whipping the shock out... I think you're giving this too much thought maybe ?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Honestly guys, it's not a long or hard job whipping the shock out... I think you're giving this too much thought maybe ?
Not the point. Why would I pull the shock every time we ride two up?
I've owned dozens of bikes and never had one with a shock you couldn't adjust in the bike. :(

Reactions: Brammers

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Not the point. Why would I pull the shock every time we ride two up?
I've owned dozens of bikes and never had one with a shock you couldn't adjust in the bike. :(
Couldn't agree more.

Well, without being too argumentative, the 390Duke was never really designed with 2-up riding in mind. I agree with your sentiment to a great extent... but if you want 2 up riding, then really, the 390 isn't the bike to be doing it on ?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Well, without being too argumentative, the 390Duke was never really designed with 2-up riding in mind. I agree with your sentiment to a great extent... but if you want 2 up riding, then really, the 390 isn't the bike to be doing it on ?
Right, so for the few times I want to, why should I take the F'ing shock off.
Piss poor design.
I will not comment any more. Counter productive. If someone out there has figured it out, I'd love to see it.
Thanks

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hey look! I remembered, pic of the tools, and the position to increase spring rate, decrease would obviously be the opposite

I am running home right now to try that again!!!
I tried it once but it kept slipping off. I will be more persistent!!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Hey look! I remembered, pic of the tools, and the position to increase spring rate, decrease would obviously be the opposite
Mine didn't come with that C-spanner included?!

·
Registered
66 Posts
New for 2015? ... NA edition? I dunno...

21 - 40 of 67 Posts