KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve not used the Duke 390 since September
It’s unlikely to get any use until March, the bike is kept in my garage which is dry and heated.
Is it better to warm the engine up every so often, or just leave it until the spring?
The battery is on a maintenance charger. I’ve rotated the wheels a couple of times to prevent flat spots on the tyres.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Personally, I would start it up (at least) every 2 weeks, and let it run through a complete warm-up cycle (until the fan functions).
I'd also park the tires on double-stacked cardboard flats (if I didn't have stands to lift them off the ground with).
But that's just me.

The weird thing about starting it up, tho, rather than just leaving it, usually comes to bear if you/I live in a high humidity area.
If you heat it all up, it tends to draw in cooler/wet air (to the crankcase) every time it is in the post-running process;
thankfully, moisture does not bond with modern synthetic engine oils, so that point is kinda moot.

If it was up to me, I'd say "There's no way I'm gonna have a bike in the garage and just ignore it/never touch it".
Plus, if I go to start it up and something goes/sounds wrong to me, the time to get it fixed is when I can't really ride it (but the dealer is still open).
It's a great time to get leaks fixed that are obvious or developing... so yeah, run it.

:)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Best to leave it until your next ride.
I hope you have drained the oil after the last ride, have the engine cooled down end refiled with fresh oil & filter.
If you start and heat up the engine periodically, you can have a build-up of condensation (due to temp rise/fall) which will contaminate the oil.
There is a section named "Storage" in my 2x Duke manuals as well (both my Dukes are first Gen).

·
Registered
333 Posts
I too would just leave it. But as with KT I’d also recommend the storage section of the manual which starts with an oil change. Never leave old oil sitting in an engine.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it’s only done 400 miles since the first service a few months ago.

So is that still classed as “old oil” ?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Personally I’d leave it with only 400 miles but I’d take it out every so often on a dry day and get it properly hot. The issue with used oil is that it degrades especially with heat and one of the by products are acids that can etch steel such as bearings if left to separate out over time.

That said this is one of those contentious issues where everyone has an opinion about whether certain oils are more or less affected. So I will leave it with KTM says so. Which reminds me I have a bike that’s been sitting for a couple of months without being run....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve not used the Duke 390 since September
It’s unlikely to get any use until March, the bike is kept in my garage which is dry and heated.
Is it better to warm the engine up every so often, or just leave it until the spring?
The battery is on a maintenance charger. I’ve rotated the wheels a couple of times to prevent flat spots on the tyres.
I would not start until it can be ridden for 20 minutes or so. Fuel stabilizer is really important to prevent stale , gummed up, fuel and $$$ in clean up. Also fill the tank to the top to prevent condensation and rust in gas tank. Move it around once a month, compress the forks and rear suspension a few times to keep the seals lubricated. Otherwise they may invert next spring and that'd be problematic. Clean the bike as dirt attracts moisture.

·
Registered
900 Posts
As little fuel as possible according to KTM.
A plastic tank will not have the rust issues as did the old steel ones.

I would not start until it can be ridden for 20 minutes or so. Fuel stabilizer is really important to prevent stale , gummed up, fuel and $$$ in clean up. Also fill the tank to the top to prevent condensation and rust in gas tank. Move it around once a month, compress the forks and rear suspension a few times to keep the seals lubricated. Otherwise they may invert next spring and that'd be problematic. Clean the bike as dirt attracts moisture.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As little fuel as possible according to KTM.
A plastic tank will not have the rust issues as did the old steel ones.
KTMasean, Thanks for correcting and pointing that out. I've been told that plastic condensates also, but with fuel additive it should not cause issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts