KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been making some bolt-on cosmetic mods to my black 2015 Duke 390 US model, and would like to replace the headlight surrounds with the orange pieces from a non-US 125 or 200. There doesn't seem to be any way to order them through KTM USA dealers though. When I emailed KTMAmerica customer service to inquire about this, they did a total freak: "NEVER INSTALL PARTS NOT DESIGNED FOR YOUR BIKE! YOU COULD DIE HORRIBLY! Nevermind that the exact same black or white pieces for US 390's are also spec'd on some non-US smaller Dukes, but whatever. Asking a dealer parts rep to search the orange part numbers turns up nothing in the US KTM database.

I could order them from a Euro distributor (website or eBay), but the advertised prices are around $60-$70 apiece, plus that much more for shipping; an orange set could easily wind up costing $200-$300 (depending on combined shipping, etc.). Meanwhile, the black or white US pieces can be purchased for about $35/pair. So I'll probably just order those and then paint 'em myself, hoping for the best rattle-can match.

But just in case somebody here might have any other ideas on import parts, or might be parting a non-US bike, thought I'd seek further input first.

Thanks in advance,

J1J

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Maybe just try ordering parts # 3 and 4 with KTM USA.
In the past, I had similar problems in Thailand (at the previous import) but when just ordering a part number, although it could take a month, it went through.
Good luck.

Rectangle Font Line Slope Screenshot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried running those numbers by a few different KTM dealers -- locally as well as online suppliers I've used in the past -- and unfortunately they all said the numbers didn't show up in the US database.

When ordering parts for the old 620 Duke I that i sold earlier this year, there were occasionally pieces that did ultimately have to come from a European warehouse because they were no longer stocked in the US, but they were common with the US model, so they at least showed up in the US database.

I do appreciate your input, in any case.

J1J

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not called a specific non-US KTM dealership, but I have checked with online authorized parts retailers in Europe & UK (that's where I found part numbers for the orange pieces) that are similar to the online sellers I've used here, who are KTM dealerships that also sell online. Their prices for those two pieces (whether orange, black, or white) were similar to what I found from eBay sellers outside the US: roughly three to four times more expensive than the black or white pieces here.

I was just checking eBay again, and I can pick up the two pieces in black -- used but undamaged -- for $24 total, shipping included. It's looking more like I'll just experiment with painting them orange myself.

Guess I should try posting in the "Want to Buy" forum first though.

J1J

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well...I found a Singapore shop selling KTM parts & accessories that would sell me an orange set of headlight shrouds for just $22US.

But the DHL shipping adds $42.

So I guess it's rattlecan time.

J1J

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good suggestion; I could use to learn some new tricks. :>)

How difficult is it to apply to more geometrically complex shapes?

J1J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts