KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying a new chain and I am a bit confused, I read that the stock chain is 520 VX3 so I am wondering whether I can use a 420/428 size chain

this one is a 520/120 link chain

should I stick with a 520 ? what difference would it make ?

also regarding sprocket Im thinking of continuing the stock size15/45, so would any sprocket work or would it have to be something KTM specific or something

thinking of taking one of these

·
Registered
262 Posts
the 420s were pretty much only used for racing, where they also replace them all the time, because they are 'lighter'...

but they stretch a lot faster, so everything wears out a lot faster, especially on a thumper that's not being run at higher/smoother rpm all the time.

Most ppl just stick with a high quality aftermarket 520 setup. I don't know the market and suppliers in Japan, so I can't advise you there.

I'm sure one of the other guys should be along soon, to chime in. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi! I use the lightest 520 on my 125. It's DID ERS3. It's Race chain for small cc bikes so I think it will hold up nice. But its non-O ring chain, which means it needs more care and does not hold up for long as O-ring or X-ring chains. It was about 500g lighter then original.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts