KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hola!
Am a complete noob when it comes to motorcycles. I have been exclusively confined to four wheeled cages and the Duke 390 is going to be my first motorcycle. I plan to use it mostly for high traffic city commutes and once a month highway touring.

I heard about the low end jitter issues and have some mods planned. I don't know if they're stupid, so some of you more experienced riders might be able to point out any obvious flaws.

Intended outcomes:
I don't plan to ride it super fast, maybe cruise around 100kmph. And I need the low end torque for riding around the city traffic (I live in a very densely populated area).

Planned mods:
1. Powertronic ECU
2. Airbox Mod (DNA stage 2 airfilter, it works similar to the coober one)

Mods am unsure about:
1. Front sprocket change to 14T (borrowed from duke 250)
2. Decat pipe with stock exhaust (my concern is that I would need to get the ECU tuned from a professional with a dyno if I mod both the cat and airbox, that is something I would like to avoid. Also, can't go with aftermarket exhausts with the decat due to legal reasons).

Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks for your time :)

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
First of all, welcome SJ to the forum,

Secondly, kindly use the search option to look for answers to your questions as most of the issues you are wondering about have been discussed (at length in most cases).

Planned mods:
1. Powertronic ECU / good idea!
2. Airbox Mod (DNA stage 2 airfilter, it works similar to the coober one) / why? and what do you mean 'it works similar to Coober'?
An air filter does exactly that, it filters the air being used in the combustion chamber and a Coober is similar to a PowerTRONIC device. If you mean the Coober air-box lid, this allows for more air into the air-box but does not filter the air (enough) further downstream as an air filter does for example a DNA air filter.

Mods am unsure about:
1. Front sprocket change to 14T (borrowed from duke 250) / if mainly riding in town, yes.
2. Decat pipe with stock exhaust (my concern is that I would need to get the ECU tuned from a professional with a dyno if I mod both the cat and airbox, that is something I would like to avoid. Also, can't go with aftermarket exhausts with the decat due to legal reasons). / When riding in town (mainly) why do you want to de-cat the pipe? Is there not enough pollution around you? If the environment is not your concern, a PowerTRONIC will take care of fueling when opening up intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Moving back one stage. What year is the bike? I wasn’t aware Coober did an air filter mod. Don’t confuse air filter upgrade on a gen 1 bike with the air filter lid mod (Coober) on a gen 2 bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, welcome SJ to the forum,

Secondly, kindly use the search option to look for answers to your questions as most of the issues you are wondering about have been discussed (at length in most cases).

Planned mods:
1. Powertronic ECU / good idea!
2. Airbox Mod (DNA stage 2 airfilter, it works similar to the coober one) / why? and what do you mean 'it works similar to Coober'?
An air filter does exactly that, it filters the air being used in the combustion chamber and a Coober is similar to a PowerTRONIC device. If you mean the Coober air-box lid, this allows for more air into the air-box but does not filter the air (enough) further downstream as an air filter does for example a DNA air filter.

Mods am unsure about:
1. Front sprocket change to 14T (borrowed from duke 250) / if mainly riding in town, yes.
2. Decat pipe with stock exhaust (my concern is that I would need to get the ECU tuned from a professional with a dyno if I mod both the cat and airbox, that is something I would like to avoid. Also, can't go with aftermarket exhausts with the decat due to legal reasons). / When riding in town (mainly) why do you want to de-cat the pipe? Is there not enough pollution around you? If the environment is not your concern, a PowerTRONIC will take care of fueling when opening up intake and exhaust.
Moving back one stage. What year is the bike? I wasn’t aware Coober did an air filter mod. Don’t confuse air filter upgrade on a gen 1 bike with the air filter lid mod (Coober) on a gen 2 bike.
Sorry, I think I fudged up the terms. What I meant when I said airbox mod was the airlid thingy (coober being the more common brand for it). DNA makes one too, they call it a stage 2 airfilter.

@Mirius I am awaiting the delivery for the bike, it is a 2021. Also, is it you on YT by the name Moto Mirius? Thanks for all the content. Helped me understand some of the mechanics better. Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts