KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched our forum for such a device and to be honest only get more confused.
If not interested in soldering and figuring out connections but only want to buy a devise/cable that works on our bikes with a free app on a mobile phone, what to get?
Does anyone have any experience with this setup?

·
Registered
463 Posts
The cable is simple. There are only 4 wires, 12V, GND, and the two CAN-BUS wires. It's unlikely that they get those wrong.

Most (all?) OBD adapters which you can buy online for cheap are copies. But the technology is not exactly new.
I guess many adapters will work, just look for one which has a good rating from many people.
I think that is the one which I have, but not sure because I bought my one about 3 years ago.

Last but not least be aware that you won't see all Duke parameter even with the best OBD adapter because some information is not made available by KTM.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes, such kind of cable but have been warned some do not work (fully) with all OBD2 scanners?
I bought one of the cheapest bluetooth OBDII scanners, and it worked. I think it was priced at $5 or something. Anecdotally, this adapter is good enough =)

·
Registered
12 Posts
What do you intend to do with it ?

The impression I've got, is that the generic stuff doesn't do a great deal; and the specific kit is only available to dealers.

[Happy to be corrected on this...]

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, scallybert,
I currently live in a country without a KTM dealer (network) and am the moderator for the KTMLaos FB page.
In the short period, there was a KTM seller here who sold a total of 180 Dukes 200/250 (and 7 Duke 390 as the max cc here is 250).
Now without any support from KTM, most of these owners are left to swim without any backup.
As all these bikes are first-series I thought is a good idea to get the OBD2 scanner and KTM wire in order to diagnose the bikes for riders in need and perhaps erase some MIL warnings when appropriate.
When the borders open again for most the nearest KTM dealer will be in Thailand and a 300 to 1,000 km journey depending on where they live.
I'd figure this a little investment for a possible lot of joy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I currently live in a country without a KTM dealer (network) [...]
I'd figure this a little investment for a possible lot of joy.
Cool.

I bought one to play around with, but haven't actually tried it yet.

The 2nd item is the adapter, which might be of more interest.

OBD 6Pin Diagnostic Adapter for Motorcycle : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

A friend of ours is a (seriously good) freelance car mechanic, and I don't think this will do anything like the kind of things he does (eg reset EFI 'Adaptations').

Sympathies wrt the dealer situation.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Cool.

I bought one to play around with, but haven't actually tried it yet.

The 2nd item is the adapter, which might be of more interest.

OBD 6Pin Diagnostic Adapter for Motorcycle : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

A friend of ours is a (seriously good) freelance car mechanic, and I don't think this will do anything like the kind of things he does (eg reset EFI 'Adaptations').

Sympathies wrt the dealer situation.
These days it's not necessary to get one of those devices anymore. The cable and the OBD2 adapter with Bluetooth and a smart phone with software are all you need.
The Torque App costs (I think) 5USD and has all the functionality.

About what to do with it? Obviously diagnostics is an important part. You can see many parameters in the moment they happen and you can see possible problems which the ECU recorded. Another usage is that you let Torque record every detail of your trip. After the trip (I think also in between) you can look at a map of your trip with exact positions and times and speeds. It's interesting and maybe even a good logbook for people who make long trips and who want to be able exactly where they were at which date and time. And it's possible to export the data and check even more details like the temperatures, RPM, and many other data.

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Ede,

I was not aware of the trip/tour logging function.
I will definitely look into that as well.
Busy setting up 2 motorcycle tours in Laos as we speak, next week I will go to map the route around Savannakhét.
Authorities are working on a new loop called Champhone Loop (from the river there).
Before all has been "adapted" to attract tourists (once the borders open again) I like to take Lao bikers around in order to be able to see the before- and after modernisation.
In October we will be riding the Tha Khek Loop and visit a lot of caves, boat trip on the hydropower dam lake and bonfire camping style evening BBQ's and beer Lao.

These days it's not necessary to get one of those devices anymore. The cable and the OBD2 adapter with Bluetooth and a smart phone with software are all you need.
The Torque App costs (I think) 5USD and has all the functionality.

About what to do with it? Obviously diagnostics is an important part. You can see many parameters in the moment they happen and you can see possible problems which the ECU recorded. Another usage is that you let Torque record every detail of your trip. After the trip (I think also in between) you can look at a map of your trip with exact positions and times and speeds. It's interesting and maybe even a good logbook for people who make long trips and who want to be able exactly where they were at which date and time. And it's possible to export the data and check even more details like the temperatures, RPM, and many other data.

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
scallybert,

We can obviously go to extremes with our hobbies.
If money was no hindrance I would most likely already have bought a Genius device.
Also, I am somewhat old-fashioned when it comes to ordering stuff from the bays.
Still prefer ordering directly from a manufacturer or their dealers.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks, Ede,

I was not aware of the trip/tour logging function.
I will definitely look into that as well.
I don't find sample picture from my trips. Here is a link which shows how this looks like. On the original you can zoom in to see all the details.

That picture is from here. That pages shows a lot more of the available information. The text is in french but you will get the idea.
ELM327 + Torque : Un « Couple » gagnant pour observer et diagnostiquer son Ampera/Volt | Amperiste.fr

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That looks very interesting Ede,
I will have a closer look at this.
Now I'm riding and logging my tours with a Beeline Moto (before a Garmin Zumo) but if I can do this all in one device that would save some time and not forgetting to switch off various devices.
Thanks.

I don't find sample picture from my trips. Here is a link which shows how this looks like. On the original you can zoom in to see all the details.

That picture is from here. That pages shows a lot more of the available information. The text is in french but you will get the idea.
ELM327 + Torque : Un « Couple » gagnant pour observer et diagnostiquer son Ampera/Volt | Amperiste.fr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts