KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

OBD2 for the KTM Duke/RC

6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Mik.golf 
#1 ·
Searched our forum for such a device and to be honest only get more confused.
If not interested in soldering and figuring out connections but only want to buy a devise/cable that works on our bikes with a free app on a mobile phone, what to get?
Does anyone have any experience with this setup?

#4 ·
The cable is simple. There are only 4 wires, 12V, GND, and the two CAN-BUS wires. It's unlikely that they get those wrong.

Most (all?) OBD adapters which you can buy online for cheap are copies. But the technology is not exactly new.
I guess many adapters will work, just look for one which has a good rating from many people.
I think that is the one which I have, but not sure because I bought my one about 3 years ago.

Last but not least be aware that you won't see all Duke parameter even with the best OBD adapter because some information is not made available by KTM.

#7 ·
Hi, scallybert,
I currently live in a country without a KTM dealer (network) and am the moderator for the KTMLaos FB page.
In the short period, there was a KTM seller here who sold a total of 180 Dukes 200/250 (and 7 Duke 390 as the max cc here is 250).
Now without any support from KTM, most of these owners are left to swim without any backup.
As all these bikes are first-series I thought is a good idea to get the OBD2 scanner and KTM wire in order to diagnose the bikes for riders in need and perhaps erase some MIL warnings when appropriate.
When the borders open again for most the nearest KTM dealer will be in Thailand and a 300 to 1,000 km journey depending on where they live.
I'd figure this a little investment for a possible lot of joy.

#8 ·
I currently live in a country without a KTM dealer (network) [...]
I'd figure this a little investment for a possible lot of joy.
Cool.

I bought one to play around with, but haven't actually tried it yet.

The 2nd item is the adapter, which might be of more interest.

OBD 6Pin Diagnostic Adapter for Motorcycle : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

A friend of ours is a (seriously good) freelance car mechanic, and I don't think this will do anything like the kind of things he does (eg reset EFI 'Adaptations').

Sympathies wrt the dealer situation.

#11 ·
scallybert,

We can obviously go to extremes with our hobbies.
If money was no hindrance I would most likely already have bought a Genius device.
Also, I am somewhat old-fashioned when it comes to ordering stuff from the bays.
Still prefer ordering directly from a manufacturer or their dealers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.