KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 KTM Duke 390
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the engine oil of my 2017 Duke 390 to Motul 300V 15W50 from Motul 7100 15W50. The engine oil dropped close to 300 ml within 250 Kms. Today I noticed that there is smoke from exhaust when revved hard. The bike has run only 20000 kms and was regularly serviced. I don't see any reasons for it to have a damaged bore.
Have anyone else faced anything similar?
I have read somewhere that these racing oils such as 300v burns a lore more than normal oils to increase power. Is there any truth in this?

·
Administrator
2,247 Posts
The change of oil, when using the same grade 15W-50, should not be any problem.
What is the reason you changed the oil type in the first place?
A 390 engine should not burn this much oil after just 20,000 km.
What else have you done to this engine when changing to 300V and did she burn oil before as well?
I know of 1 case, on an old Euro3 690, where, from the factory, the minute ring was installed upside down, causing similar issues around the 20,000 km mark.
I am not aware that racing oils burn more oil than others although I have noticed on my 40,000+km Duke 200 that after putting Voltronic (racing oil) she does burn more.
Not as much as yours, perhaps 100ml on 3,000km which she did not do before.
I will be switching back to Motorex 4T semi-synthetic 10W-50 soon to see is the oil is the problem or if I need to open her up.

I changed the engine oil of my 2017 Duke 390 to Motul 300V 15W50 from Motul 7100 15W50. The engine oil dropped close to 300 ml within 250 Kms. Today I noticed that there is smoke from exhaust when revved hard. The bike has run only 20000 kms and was regularly serviced. I don't see any reasons for it to have a damaged bore.
I have read somewhere that these racing oils such as 300v burns a lore more than normal oils to increase power. Is there any truth in this?

·
Administrator
2,247 Posts
I would first try to switch back to the previous oil to see if there is a difference.
If still burning this much oil it is either your piston/rings, valve seals or a crack in the cylinder.

·
Registered
2017 KTM Duke 390
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When i checked the oil level today after a short ride, it's above the high level. 😵
I think the oil level was correct before as wel but the reading in the glass window was wrong.
Even after draining through both oil drain hole and oil filter hole, there is a lot of oil drained through the strainer. I guess this oil stays above the second oil pump.

·
Registered
2017 KTM Duke 390
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please stop stirring the pot and post factual issues rather than this.
It not serves anyone purpose.
Basically if you have nothing to do, don't do it here.
What do you mean? I saw low oil in my bike for 2,3 days after riding. I corrected it to the right level and now it looks likes there is more than that in it.

How is it stirring the pot?
Be mature and have some decency while replying. Being a mod doesn't mean you can talk like an a$$ to others!

·
Registered
560 Posts
It's not the oil, use a "stop oil burn" product and if it's not than it can be gasket/oil piston ring failure, valve guide problem, or any other oil leak problem.

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
I run 5100 in mine and do not notice unusual usage.
Just realized I could add more context to this reply. My 16 has 6400 miles on it, just blew the head gasket 400 miles ago and I had the motor apart to repair. Bore looked like new still when I had it apart, and I have run Motul 5100 in it since I got it with aprox 2600 miles on it. Now I have installed a thin head gasket kit in it and I do get a little bit of smoke if I start it cold and rev it before it gets up to temp, but once it is warmed up it no longer puffs any smoke. Either way, I still do not have the consumption you mention.

Also noticed you said you topped it off after checking the level after a ride, did you give it time for the oil to flow back into the crankcase (several minutes)? If not, you will notice the level looks low when you check it, but after sitting for 5 min or so, it will show properly. Just a thought.

·
Registered
191 Posts
FWIW I've switched from the stock oil to Motul 300V (15W50, as the manual recommends) after the first year, it ran the last season (incl. track days) with no perceptible oil loss. No smoke either.

The bike is still fairly young and low-mileage (2019, 4200 km).

Just a data point

·
Registered
55 Posts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts