KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just bought a 2015 duke 390 with 5600 miles and did the oil change. I have already put 1.8 quarts in and the glass still doesn’t show any sign of oil. Does anyone have an idea of what could be happening here??
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
When you have emptied the old oil, changed the oil filter for a fresh one, you measure out 1.7 litres of oil and pour that in, the job is done.
If you like to verify the level, at least run the bike till the cooling fan has come on (operating temperature), then switch off the engine, wait for a minute, set the bike upright on a horizontal plane and the level will show between min. and max. on your sight-glass.
There is a search (top centre of this page) where these often questions will show you a whole list of repeated answers: Search results for query: sight glass oil level check 24 pages. ;)

PS. that engine looks horrible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeap!!! I got a rear swing arm stand.
That might be it - is it level (front to rear) when on the stand? I don't think it would be - it would be canted forward a bit normally with a stand. It should be checked on level ground, with both tires on the ground and off the side stand with the bike upright. See if that makes a difference in the reading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That might be it - is it level (front to rear) when on the stand? I don't think it would be - it would be canted forward a bit normally with a stand. It should be checked on level ground, with both tires on the ground and off the side stand with the bike upright. See if that makes a difference in the reading.
Oh gosh , I feel stupid!! That’s what it was!!!
Thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you have emptied the old oil, changed the oil filter for a fresh one, you measure out 1.7 litres of oil and pour that in, the job is done.
If you like to verify the level, at least run the bike till the cooling fan has come on (operating temperature), then switch off the engine, wait for a minute, set the bike upright on a horizontal plane and the level will show between min. and max. on your sight-glass.
There is a search (top centre of this page) where these often questions will show you a whole list of repeated answers: Search results for query: sight glass oil level check 24 pages. ;)

PS. that engine looks horrible.
I did search but nobody had the same situation I did. I bought the bike like that. It was sitting at somebodies backyard at the beach.
There is rust everywhere!!
Do you have any hints of how to treat that??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh gosh , I feel stupid!! That’s what it was!!!
Thanks a lot!!!
Glad you got it figured out. Most bikes have a pretty precise set of steps for checking the oil level - some that have a dipstick require you to remove the dipstick, wipe it clean, insert it without screwing it in, remove it, then check the level - most people would (logically) screw it back in, then unscrew it to check the level, but that ends up showing there's too much oil.

As long as the Duke 390 is on level ground, both tires on the ground, bike upright and the oil level is between the two marks on the sides of the sightglass, then it's correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
btw: because the sight glass isn't very easy to read if you don't have someone else handy to balance the bike upright (and not tilted forward on a stand), I use a little telescoping mirror to check. Picked it up for a buck or two at someplace such as Home Depot or Harbor Freight (had it long enough to have forgotten which).

It's useful for wiring hollowbody guitars, too. :>)

J1J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts