KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Im curious to know what grade and brand everyone is using on their Duke. The manual has 15W50 while others are using 10W50 and my dealer changed mine with 10W60 on its first service so that's what Ive continued to use.
Its currently Motorex but Im planning on changing over to Motul, on the EXC its given me quiter gear changes so Im hoping I can get the same effect on the 390.

Anyway looking forward to everyones opinions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi ,
The thumb rule in Engine OILs is lower first digit and higher last digits are always good for the engine.
so manual says 15W50. either you can go 10W50 good or 10W60 Better or 5W60 BEST. !!
Make sure it is 100% synthetic and NO NO Mineral oils must be used.
I will use the 10W50 100% Synthetic PAO from Caltec as my Bro works there so can get it at 50% price. :)
Cheers !!

Post a pic of the Titanium Paint that you did to mock the 690 !!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Dan1 ...i'm on 10-60W too ... but i added 100ml of ZX1 ... this ZX1 is micro oil metal treatment i used for 6 of my cars including the 1970's Mini Cooper .... and i had no time to test it when i meet the accident 2 weeks ago .... sincerely speaking ZX1 is a cheater oil hehehe :D:D:D... you should know what i'm saying...

though i'm resting at home ... i have some ideas on new mod for my 390 when he's back from the wshop .... :p

·
Registered
100 Posts
Currently sticking to Motul Syn. 15W50 (1100 Kms so far).
Might give the 10W50/60 or 5W60 a whirl if I can find it at the 5000Kms service mark.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Good call on going with Motul, one of the best brands in the business! I put their oil into everything. Used to run 300v on my old track car :D

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Motul 7100 15W50 FS. Running is smooth and I always used Motul oils, even for my other rides.
Might try the 300V - heard that it's even better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Motul 7100 15W50 FS. Running is smooth and I always used Motul oils, even for my other rides.
Might try the 300V - heard that it's even better.

Planning to use 300V on my bike as well. Its coming up on it first service shortly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi All,

Had the oil changed to Motul 300v 15w50 today. The bike runs real smooth now. This is the only oil thats gonna be put in my bike from now on.:)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah good reminder TP, Ive been running the 10w60 Motul for a bit now and Im happy with it. Engine is quieter through gear changes....not perfect....just better. Hasnt used any but then it never does ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
300v 15w 50 drained oil.

Greenish Tinge still intact to some level even after running near about 5000 kms.

The KTM service engineer advised me that 300 v is a racing oil and might harm the engine at high temps, is it so.... if yes i have been using the same since last 10,000kms.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
300v 15w 50 drained oil.

Greenish Tinge still intact to some level even after running near about 5000 kms.

The KTM service engineer advised me that 300 v is a racing oil and might harm the engine at high temps, is it so.... if yes i have been using the same since last 10,000kms.

I thought racing oils were made to handle high temps since you are constantly at or near redline??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Actually the main reason for the advise is sales oriented what I understood, since the service center only has Motul 7100 to offer, I bought the 300v bottles from outside. Thus they are losing an amount of 1200 Rupees ($18 or so). At first I too panicked about the same but after riding more than a few thousand km s what i notice is my revving is more free r than the ones using 7100 & smoother operation all through.

Foolish tech guy XD

Obviously a racing oil will be able to bear heat well where acceleration & redlining are the main concern thus causing enormous amounts of heat...

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
How does anyone on here KNOW what the best oil is? All just supposition.
Like anything else, through research and own experience. Truth is, the best oil should be based off the OEM recommendation, with modifiers for local conditions or use, where those conditions are extreme.

·
Registered
375 Posts
How does anyone on here KNOW what the best oil is? All just supposition.
For the last 10 years I was testing each oil brand and kind of it in 3 aspects: 1 - How the gearbox clutch fell after a new oil. 2 - How it could deal with the extreme hot weather of Rio de Janeiro. 3 - Look the aspect and viscosit of oil after the recommend time of use.
300V 15w50 has the better performance in each case and I tested more than once.
It was used in my old Buell XB9S that has a HD Mod engine Air Cooled that warm a little bit :D
Luis

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm using Mobil 1 15w50 from Walmart or Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts