KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I recently purchased a used 2018 390 Duke that i put 500 miles on over a brackish week. More recently i had it towed off the highway after an upshift from the on-ramp because doing so caused a "pop" followed by a cloud of dark smoke to erupt from my exhaust. I just took the airbox cover to poke around and found oil pooled in the bottom of it as well as splatter on the frame and chain but only on the left side of the bike.

I'm hoping someone could tell me what happened. Prior to the event I stalled out before reaching the highway, the oil light was on so i topped it off with 10w-30 and went on my way, it's my only guess for the cause of the malfunction. I'm under warranty, but I'd really like to avoid missing work to drop off a bike in the middle of the day.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yep. When you overfill engine oil it will pile up in your Airbox and the oil will suck it through the air intake and you will get blueish smoke... there is drain hole as shown below.
Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle tire Crankset Motor vehicle

You can remove the plug and try to drain it that way...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Can perhaps be excess blowby that caused the engine oil to accumulate at the AF box and that can possibly be due to overfilling. Worse, you could have blown your main seals right off due to excessive pressure. Clean the AF housing, drain the old oil and top up with fresh oil, and I hope the bike turns out clean.

Good luck.

Cheers!
V

1 - 4 of 4 Posts