KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Brand new bike, about 30km on it
Did a checkup for any leaks since .. you know, KTM QC...
Oil level was at minimum. Investigated and found a possible explantion.
On the exhaust side there seems to be a missing plug. Oil seems to be leaking from there. Seems the hole is threaded
Can anyone confirm its a standard plug on these engine? Can see it on any part list

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same hole on mine. I cant figure out why or what function this hole has. Some kind of breather hole maybe?
Mine is bone dry and has a little dust around the hole, no sign of leaking at all. And I think it takes a little more to drain from max to min level. Maybe they just forgot to check oil level before handing it over to you? I know poor QC on a brand new bike...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Rotopeon,
Don't forget the oil level in these bikes must be checked when the engine is fully warmed up. On a cold engine the level will appear low, but will rise when the engine is warm. I hate the system, but it's what we've got. I try to remember to check the oil level after each ride. Which is backwards to what I've done my whole life...
Other than that, great bike, eh?

Cheers!
Craig

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well there is definitely signs of leaking down to the base of the engine. I will try to warm it up and see if it goes up a bit. Its a holiday here in Canada so nothings open. Will call the dealer tomorrow and worst case buy some oil, clean the leak and see if its coming back
The bike runs fine (and is a ton of fun) so we'll see

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well there is definitely signs of leaking down to the base of the engine. I will try to warm it up and see if it goes up a bit. Its a holiday here in Canada so nothings open. Will call the dealer tomorrow and worst case buy some oil, clean the leak and see if its coming back
The bike runs fine (and is a ton of fun) so we'll see
Tried warming it up and still bellow the eyeglass when the bike is leveled.... Will see what the dealer say tomorrow

·
Registered
135 Posts
I haven't physically confirmed it yet, but... I think what you will discover, if you lift out the plug wire boot and spray some electric cleaner down in the plug wire hole (leave the spark plug installed), the cleaner will run out that hole and it is a relief for any heat or moisture buildup in the spark plug cavity.
Or, as an alternate, you could stick your narrow tip blowgun in that hole and start adding air into it; it should relieve that pressure through the top where the plug boot rests into the head.
Make sense?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't physically confirmed it yet, but... I think what you will discover, if you lift out the plug wire boot and spray some electric cleaner down in the plug wire hole (leave the spark plug installed), the cleaner will run out that hole and it is a relief for any heat or moisture buildup in the spark plug cavity.
Or, as an alternate, you could stick your narrow tip blowgun in that hole and start adding air into it; it should relieve that pressure through the top where the plug boot rests into the head.
Make sense?
You are right! Blowing air into the hole you can feel it escaping through the top boot.
Now... why would there be oil coming out of it? Bad valve cover gasket?

·
Registered
135 Posts
The center tube is sealed to the valve cover with a circular seal/ring. Most likely, that ring is defective; ergo, that is the source of the oil flow you are describing. Have the dealer who sold you the bike confirm this is the case and warranty repair it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The center tube is sealed to the valve cover with a circular seal/ring. Most likely, that ring is defective; ergo, that is the source of the oil flow you are describing. Have the dealer who sold you the bike confirm this is the case and warranty repair it.
Those are some golden informations. Thanks DukeofSeven (y)(y)(y) Will call tomorrow

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick update, bike been sitting at the dealer for 2 weeks now. They changed valve cover seals and the round one we see above and the bike still leaked oil. They are thinking that the engine head casting is bad and they are waiting for the part from ktm.
Reached out to KTM Canada to complain about the delays for a brand new bike and they basically acknowledged that it was unfortunate but I was also lucky that the parts were available and not 4-5 weeks ETA for a backorder parts like other "cases" they have. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright last update! Got the bike back, finally.
They changed the engine head but they found out that the spark plug shaft was "spotted" so most likely the defect was from there. So they changed that also and all gasket a second time. Now bike is running great and i'm putting some miles on it till the first service.
On the plus side they borrowed me a duke 790 for the last weekend. What a beast! It was a thrilling experience driving that around for 500 miles in 4 days!
So thank you guys for the info and help!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Are you saying they believe the spark plug sleeve, number 25, was actually defective? the real culprit? because they replaced the head, then discovered it still leaked? Is that what you're telling us?

But ya know what? I'm gonna forget I just said that.
Please pass the sweet and sour shrimp.

Hoo-rah! Yur back up and runnin'!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well they ordered the engine head before dismantling it. So when they did dismantle the head, they noticed that the spark plug sleeve seemed to have a defect in it so they ordered a new one before reassembling it. When they got it they put everything back together with the new head and the bike was fixed!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts