KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding and noticed my oil light flash for barely a second a few times so I immediately headed home and changed my oil as it was starting to be due, but the oil level was still good.

I then rode again and again after 30-60 minutes of riding the oil light lights intermittently but this time staying on for a few seconds at a time and releasing the throttle causes it to turn back off immediately.

I saw in another thread that this seems to be an oil pressure sensor issue, is that likely the case? Is it safe to ride the bike like this? I ride every day so I need this fixed ASAP if it's urgent.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I wouldn't be assuming that it's a sensor issue. It could be but first I'd change the oil and ensure filter is changed and screens are clear - clogged screens or filter can also cause this - but then you'd wonder what caused that. If that is OK then sensor or oil pump - sensor being easiest to eliminate.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't be assuming that it's a sensor issue. It could be but first I'd change the oil and ensure filter is changed and screens are clear - clogged screens or filter can also cause this - but then you'd wonder what caused that. If that is OK then sensor or oil pump - sensor being easiest to eliminate.
I did mention I immediately changed the oil and filters and the oil light came on 30-60 minutes later, seemingly when the oil gets hot.

How do I eliminate the sensor as the cause? You just mention it's easy to do.

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 KTM Duke 390
96 Posts
Any problem related to oil and oil pressure is critical top the life of the engine. If it were me, I'd assume the sensor being bad is the last thing to check and make sure rest of the oil system is healthy.

I'd follow Mirius's advice on how to approach troubleshooting this issue - check the strainers, open up the oil pump and inspect. If the problem still persists, change the sensor then.

How do I eliminate the sensor as the cause? You just mention it's easy to do.
Easiest way to eliminate is to replace it. From what I remember, a new sensor isn't too expensive.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I was riding and noticed my oil light flash for barely a second a few times so I immediately headed home and changed my oil as it was starting to be due, but the oil level was still good.

I then rode again and again after 30-60 minutes of riding the oil light lights intermittently but this time staying on for a few seconds at a time and releasing the throttle causes it to turn back off immediately.

I saw in another thread that this seems to be an oil pressure sensor issue, is that likely the case? Is it safe to ride the bike like this? I ride every day so I need this fixed ASAP if it's urgent.

Thanks
This has been a case with the post 2017 Dukes, wherein the dash randomly throws low oil pressure when doing high speed runs. There have been instances where a firmware update to the dash unit has solved this issue and there have been some instances where the oil pressure sensor was replaced and then the issue solved. Case in point, the oil pressure sensor can be replaced in home, it's a pretty cheap and easy fix.

Cheers!
VJ

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any problem related to oil and oil pressure is critical top the life of the engine. If it were me, I'd assume the sensor being bad is the last thing to check and make sure rest of the oil system is healthy.

I'd follow Mirius's advice on how to approach troubleshooting this issue - check the strainers, open up the oil pump and inspect. If the problem still persists, change the sensor then.

Easiest way to eliminate is to replace it. From what I remember, a new sensor isn't too expensive.
I did mention I changed the oil and filters as soon as I got home and the issue returned in less than an hour.

I don't know how to open the oil pump or even know where it is, is this a big job?

I had an issue with my printer where the part wasn't expensive but it was a full 2 day job to replace it, is changing the oil sensor this kind of huge job? Turns out a firmware update would have fixed my printer and I did that 2 day job unnecessarily.

This has been a case with the post 2017 Dukes, wherein the dash randomly throws low oil pressure when doing high speed runs. There have been instances where a firmware update to the dash unit has solved this issue and there have been some instances where the oil pressure sensor was replaced and then the issue solved. Case in point, the oil pressure sensor can be replaced in home, it's a pretty cheap and easy fix.

Cheers!
VJ
Mine is a 2017 so is mine affected by the issue? It's not clear if the 2017 are included the way you wrote it. Is a firmware update something I can do myself and if so where can I get the update?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Firmware updates are done by your dealer. Sensor location can be seen in this diagram

A similar diagram shows the location of the oil pump. Neither are overly complicated to change, but then that sort of statement can be misleading since we don't know how familiar you are with this sort of work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went on another ride and it behaved the same, it's fine for about an hour or so and then the oil light flashes on for a very short period from time to time. I think this suggests a bad sensor as the pressure probably drops as the oil heats up and becomes less viscous, so maybe the sensor is overly sensitive.

Can the sensor be replaced without having to remove major things in the way? About how long of a job is it? Do you need to drain the oil to change it?

Also while I'm ordering parts I can tell my clutch sensor is failing as I need to hold the clutch a certain way before the engine will start. Can I change just the clutch sensor/switch or do I need to change the whole lever?

Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went on yet another ride (yes that's the 3rd ride today lol) and even though I think I rode for longer I'm not sure I noticed the oil light at all, if so it was a flash I caught out of the corner of my eye and I was looking at the dashboard more than usual expecting the oil light.

I don't know if the issue is resolving itself slowly after the oil change or I'm not sure but maybe the outside temperature was a bit cooler which may have helped.

·
Administrator
2,613 Posts
Check the mass cable on the engine block, this might not be fully tight and can through all sorts of funny error stuff.
When at it, check the battery connections as well.
To replace the oil-press sensor you do not do anything else.
Disconnect the wire, unscrew the sensor, put the new sensor in and reconnect the wire.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Do not start the engine until it is diagnosed as a problem with the sensor. If the sensor is ok, working the engine with oil pressure issues risks an engine failure with a very expensive repair!

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do not start the engine until it is diagnosed as a problem with the sensor. If the sensor is ok, working the engine with oil pressure issues risks an engine failure with a very expensive repair!

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk
I know this can be a very high level warning which is why I stopped within seconds of seeing the light flash. I did some research online and in other oil light threads on this forum and it was said that as long as the light doesn't stay on and the oil level is ok it most certainly is a bad sensor.

I have already gone on several rides since and while it got a bit wort immediately after the oil change (instead of the light flashing for a fraction of a second it would sometimes stay lit for a few seconds), but on every ride after that it either never lit at all or I might have caught it flash for a fraction of a second the entire ride.

I will order and replace the sensor ASAP to make sure that's the issue but it seems to be resolving itself since the oil change.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Mine is a 2017 so is mine affected by the issue? It's not clear if the 2017 are included the way you wrote it. Is a firmware update something I can do myself and if so where can I get the update?
The 2017s were the most recalled for firmware update, owing to erroneous notifications on dash, HLU failure, Low Oil Pressure, ABS failure, most were rectified with subsequent firmware updates. Recommend you check your firmware and if not get it updated to the latest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts