KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you are supposed to change your helmet every five years according to the manufacturers, if they are used all the time.

But having just started riding again, l have my Roof Diversion R010 and Arai RX7 which have been stored in boxes in the cupboard since 2007.
Both were pretty much new at the time and cost UK£300+ (about $500) just for the Arai. Can l still use these helmets? As in will they still be safe to use, obviously l can use them but l don’t want to if they are going to fall to pieces in a crash.

The liners etc all look OK, like new in fact. Both helmets l believe are fibreglass, certainly the Roof one is.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Judgement call , with the helmet on does it feel loose , what condition are the lining materials in , is your hair longer shorter non existent now ? Sure we can all listen to the "experts " but nobody tests old helmets to see if they still work as they were designed to years down the line . It's not in the manufacturers interest to prove old helmets still work they would rather sell you a new one . Do some research and make your own decision , new ideas new tech comes along all the time .

·
Registered
44 Posts
everything has a product life cycle, things will deteriorate. But I must admit when I first started biking back in the dark ages all my gear was hand me down, I think I wore a helmet for 5 years that was 5 years old and had been in an accident before I got it, I think we referred to it as PROOF it works.. Armour in a jacket what the **** was that? The only thing in the Jacket was the beers in the inside pockets...they kept cold on long trips, I had a denim jacket that could hold 8.

here is an article on expiry..Why Do Motorcycle Helmets Expire? ? Motorcycle Central

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, reading that l guess l should be looking at a new one.
I’ve actually still got the AGV helmet that l bought when l passed my test in 2000
Not that l ever wear it.
Time to throw that away too.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, reading that l guess l should be looking at a new one.
I’ve actually still got the AGV helmet that l bought when l passed my test in 2000
Not that l ever wear it.
Time to throw that away too.
I have a bunch of helmets and bought 2 new ones when I bought the Duke.
The foam dries out (off-gasses) and goes brittle with time, doesn't provide the same protection.
If you are the sort of guy who doesn't tighten up their helmet strap, don't worry about it.
Got a $50 head? Wear a $50 helmet!

I still keep my old helmets. The grandkids wear them around the yard, I lend them to that sketchy dude who is always borrowing stuff and I keep one at the cottage and in the trunk of the car, cuz, you never know?

What do you expect out of your helmet?

Trailriding, I hit an unmarked cable across a trail and went over the handlebars at about 30mph. I was knocked out cold with bruises on my scalp from the foam waffle pattern.

Years ago, out on a Sunday street ride a car brake-checked me. I clipped the side of the car with my knee and it knocked me off the bike. Landed on my helmet and put a pavement grind mark 270 degrees around the helmet. No head injury.

Got a $50 head? Wear a $50 helmet!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Can’t argue with that.

Going to look at new helmets tomorrow. This looks OK and got a “Best Buy” in a magazine test.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/product-reviews/helmets/2016/october/ride-review-nolan-n87-helmet/
I opted for the modular opening full face helmet for its versatility. I've used them on the snowmobile and love them.

And this is a moose in the background:

This is a HJC Korean made helmet that meets standards (DOT, not the highest) and prices out at $250-$300cdn. I do like the built in sunglasses. Can reach up and drop them on at will. I like that I can open the face up for air and visibility.

They are slightly heavier than a same quality fullface shell and lock securely to hold shut in an accident. Opening is one intuitive touch on the red button.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What happens to all the older unsold helmets in your local dealers do they return them to the manufacturer as not fit to sell after a certain time on the shelf ? Do they warn buyers of "new" helmets that they were manufactured a few years ago so should be replaced sooner . Do manufacturers mark helmets with a sell by or use by date . Speaking here as someone who buys "new" on a regular basis and personally managed to put a 4" crack in the shell of a top of the range shoei while my head was in it . If you want to see how much force that took place an old helmet on the floor and try hitting it with a sledgehammer !

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the post above, l never considered a flip front or modular helmet so will try one out.

All my helmets have a label inside with the date of manufacture.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't throw them away.
That is a nice retro looking helmet.
Display them, you got a man cave, a garage, a shed?

Reactions: Hedgepig

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well today l got my new Arai helmet and it’s a revelation after the old Roof one and my old AGV.
It’s quieter, more comfortable, doesn’t steam up, has a wider viewing angle and is lighter.
Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't throw them away.
That is a nice retro looking helmet.
Display them, you got a man cave, a garage, a shed?
That’s exactly what l plan to do, on a shelf in my workshop.
After all they represent my biking history.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts