KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2018 KTM DUKE 390/1980 DUCATI 900SS MHR/2016 YAMAHA MT-125/1953 BSA DBD34 GOLDSTAR
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all
Had bikes all my life, brought this at a fair price, and enjoyed the 111 mile ride back from collection. First job remove mirrors, then remove decals as I’m not a teenager, tail tidy and far too small plate, awaiting new pipe to clear the silly cat and baffle, then we are there. Anyway hope you are all well and enjoying bike life 👍👍
10449FD9-0AD9-4FC0-A200-0F041D63795F.jpeg

·
Registered
168 Posts
You need a rapid bike easy thing on it so it runs smooth at low revs. Mine was really jerky when manoeuvring, so much so I'd always have the clutch half in.
We just need some dry weather now 🙄☔

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am also an "old guy" collecting my Duke 390 on the 10th! ITs a 2017 model...completely stock. Are you going to put bar end mirrors on, or just do away with them completely? Hope you continue to enjoy the bike. I will post some pics when I get it, and more as it evolves into a mini-beast!

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke
20 Posts
”Old Guy” here too, riding a 2020 KTM 390 Duke, and loving it! Turning 50 this month. Slowly moding the bike, put bar end mirrors, LED turn signals, short tail, and soon a slip on exhaust.

Love the graphics on the bike, I would not remove them no matter how old I am :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Reactions: EdC

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love to read this!
The club 390 Dukers over 50 is growing. I thought I was the only one.
Since you're all long time riders like me, do you feel the 390 is big enough?
I absolutely love it but I'm starting to think I would like something slightly bigger in a year or two. The 790 may be too big, I'm really curious to see the upcoming 490.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke
20 Posts
WooHoo! Btw, I’m a new rider, this is my very first bike, and I’m loving it. I could see jumping up to a bigger bike in 2 years, but I need to cut my teeth on this bike before I get that 1290 Super Duke R! If I’m going up, I might as well go all the way up to my favorite bike.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Put these bar end mirrors on from ebay, £19. Good quality tinted glass with metal backs. Yes I took the stock ones off 😆.

The bike lives in the shed in the background so I had to get the height down

·
Registered
2018 KTM DUKE 390/1980 DUCATI 900SS MHR/2016 YAMAHA MT-125/1953 BSA DBD34 GOLDSTAR
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi
Great to see other 50+ riders enjoying smaller capacity bikes. I find it’s quick enough for me and if I do need more speed I have other bikes I can use. I do tend to remove decals on my bikes (not the classics thou) as I think they look so much better without lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm 53, and in love with my Duke. I can get any bike I want, but since you can't really use 200 hp in any way that is even faintly safe on the street, why bother? Guess that kind of thinking is how I know I'm getting old! Or got old, actually...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi
Great to see other 50+ riders enjoying smaller capacity bikes. I find it’s quick enough for me and if I do need more speed I have other bikes I can use. I do tend to remove decals on my bikes (not the classics thou) as I think they look so much better without lol.
Another over 50 rider here, been riding 30+ years and owned loads of bikes up to 1000cc, now bought a 390 to take over commuting duties from my XSR700, but it may replace it altogether.

·
Registered
612 Posts
46 here.

The 390 is peppy enough for my taste. The 790 is a hooligan bike, if you just want more power with the same manners, the 690 is what you're looking for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice I’m not alone in being ‘that old gezzer, who rides that bright orange bike’ 👍🤣

·
Registered
4 Posts
My bike was delayed, it now arrives Wednesday! Yep the over 50 Duke 390 forum grows! I too am 53, and like GSX95, just can't justify the need for more power where I will be riding it, I just want a fun bike! Waiting to go on the bike: bar end mirrors, tail tidy, R&G orange paddock stand bobbins, Austin Racing "styled" slip on. Yeah feel a bit bad of not trying the real one, but I will be ordering the "real" AR high mount exhaust, the wife said I have spent enough for now. Reading some of the other posts, many of us suffer from our wives simply not understanding bikes!

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke
20 Posts
My bike was delayed, it now arrives Wednesday! Yep the over 50 Duke 390 forum grows! I too am 53, and like GSX95, just can't justify the need for more power where I will be riding it, I just want a fun bike! Waiting to go on the bike: bar end mirrors, tail tidy, R&G orange paddock stand bobbins, Austin Racing "styled" slip on. Yeah feel a bit bad of not trying the real one, but I will be ordering the "real" AR high mount exhaust, the wife said I have spent enough for now. Reading some of the other posts, many of us suffer from our wives simply not understanding bikes!
Hahahahaha! Sup up that bike! Us 50 year olds are still kids at heart, and the 390 is our toy! I’ve done some mods to mine, and I’m loving it even more! It’s funny how many young kids love the look of the bike and give me compliments on the look. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts