KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 KTM Duke 390 w/RapidBike Evo ECU piggyback
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that if you torque the rear wheel nut to the torque specified in the manual my rear wheel is very hard to turn. Like really hard to spin. (New chain is lubed well, brakes are not locked)
I noticed that my fuel economy got significantly worse when riding with a rear wheel tightened to the specification, but when I loosened it up a bit it’s fine, but now I don’t know how much is too loose!
Did anyone experience this? What can be done? What is the torque you are applying to the rear wheel nut?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I torque mine to factory spec. All is fine.
it sounds like the bearing spacer is not in between the two wheel bearings and they (Bearings) are being severely side loaded when you tighten the axle/nut

Reactions: Seagull

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it sounds like the bearing spacer is not in between the two wheel bearings and they (Bearings) are being severely side loaded when you tighten the axle/nut
Interesting, are you saying that a component is missing?

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
If you had the wheel of that is most certainly the case.
Perhaps you dropped a distancing bush/spacer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you had the wheel of that is most certainly the case.
Perhaps you dropped a distancing bush/spacer.
Hmm, I wonder how it looks like? I took off the wheel just to see where that spacer would go.
I gave the bike to a mechanic to change the chain and sprockets before winter storage. It’s possible that he dropped it, because before yesterday I didn’t disassemble the wheel after the mechanic did it. I certainly did not see anything extra laying on the ground after my assembly.

·
Registered
640 Posts
When you torque the rear wheel it applies pressure to the inner part of the wheel bearings. You could overdo the torque and it wouldn’t stop the wheel spinning. I agree that something is missing, misaligned or you have a bearing failure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you torque the rear wheel it applies pressure to the inner part of the wheel bearings. You could overdo the torque and it wouldn’t stop the wheel spinning. I agree that something is missing, misaligned or you have a bearing failure.
I’m going to compare what I currently have in there and if it’s still a mystery I’ll show it to the authorized KTM service technician. Thanks all.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The spacer we are referring to cannot be seen unless a wheel bearing is removed from the rim. In a sense, it looks like a precision cut piece of pipe and goes in between the two wheel bearings.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The spacer we are referring to cannot be seen unless a wheel bearing is removed from the rim. In a sense, it looks like a precision cut piece of pipe and goes in between the two wheel bearings.
Oh I saw that piece of pipe. I was able to easily remove it by hand and put it back in there when I put back the rear sprocket onto the black rubber “pillows” inside the hub.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
That distance bushing will not fall out when taking the wheel off though.
More likely it is one of de outer spacers that will be missing.
Pls compare what you have to the drawing I posted the link to.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Something is missing, or a bearing is failing.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Did you get this sorted John?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you get this sorted John?
No, not yet; haven’t been able to spend any time on it yet due to work. I’m going to post an update when I get to it. Thank you for checking. 👍

1 - 14 of 14 Posts