KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations on the best plug and play piggy back ECU for a 2018 to make the bike smooth at low rpm

A full exhaust system including decat is in the cards.
I don't want to mess with custom maps just looking for smooth low end performance.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
My only experience is with PowerTRONIC on a 200 and a 390 Duke.
I am happy with them but as said have never tried any other brand.
In your case, Coober is not good as this unit is only meant to correct A/F on modifications bought from Coober or Powerparts KTM.

Anyway, I'll get the popcorn out ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
IF I were to try one, I believe I would choose the BoosterPlug

·
Registered
356 Posts
In the research I did it appeared all were happy with it. Plug n play too without hacking the harness.

I am just saying it is the one I would choose.

I could be wrong but I believe the BP corrects the ultra lean condition of the FI That causes the unsteady low speed/rpm behavior of the engine.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Please let us stay with facts:
The booster plug to what I have learned from it ONLY fools the OEM ECU into thinking the ambient temperature is a couple of degrees C colder than it actually is, period.
What piggybacks requires to "hack" (whatever you mean by this) the OEM harness?
PowerTronic, as well as Coober, come with their own harness that runs beside the OEM one.

For the PowerTRONIC units, these adjust A/F ratio AND ignition. They also are pre-configured to run an upshift QS.
These are also customer adjustable through software that anyone can download f.o.c.

It will be helpful to only state facts on here in order to help people with questions, my opinion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The BoosterPlug will correct the fueling low down... and yes it does tell the ECU that it is approx 20 deg. colder so the the ECU richens the fuel mixture (mostly when in open loop if I remember correctly). I have tried this on other motorcycles and it surely helped. Thing is that it is rather pricey for what you actually get.... IMHO....

·
Registered
356 Posts
In the research I did it appeared all were happy with it. Plug n play too without hacking the harness.
Fact: I did limited research and it appeared all users were happy with the BP. Fact: no cutting of the bikes wiring harness was required
I am just saying it is the one I would choose.
Fact: it is the piggyback ECU I would try if I were going to purchase one
I could be wrong but I believe the BP corrects the ultra lean condition of the FI That causes the unsteady low speed/rpm behavior of the engine. Fact: it corrects the ultra lean condition of the ecu by tricking it in order to enrichen the fuel mixture
IF I were to try one, I believe I would choose the BoosterPlug. fact again
Please let us stay with facts:
The booster plug to what I have learned from it ONLY fools the OEM ECU into thinking the ambient temperature is a couple of degrees C colder than it actually is, period.
What piggybacks requires to "hack" (whatever you mean by this) the OEM harness?
PowerTronic, as well as Coober, come with their own harness that runs beside the OEM one.

For the PowerTRONIC units, these adjust A/F ratio AND ignition. They also are pre-configured to run an upshift QS.
These are also customer adjustable through software that anyone can download f.o.c.

It will be helpful to only state facts on here in order to help people with questions, my opinion.
Excuse me Your Honor. Please show where I did not state facts!!! Or keep your negative comments to yourself. Fact

·
Registered
67 Posts
The service guy at my dealer told me to shift when I asked power commanders. He said he has seen nothing but headaches from them. Downshift to boost the revs out of the hesitation zone and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
673 Posts
OK
I fitted a Rapid Bike Easy which solved the low speed running issues in my Duke 390.

The unit works by telling the ECU that the mixture is too lean, so it runs slightly richer.

Fuel economy is barely affected, according to the screen maybe 3 or 4 mpg less, if that.

The unit does not improve the performance.

But the bike is so much smoother, no lurching and kangarooing when in slow moving traffic.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
I think most piggybacks do roughly the same.
If I understood correctly the RBE (lightning) also comes with a self-learning option that some claim will again be countered by the OEM ECO over time.
As for the PowerTRONIC units, see the power chart below, a marginal increase in power over the full range and yes, it smoothenes out the (too) low rev issues some encounter as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
The service guy at my dealer told me to shift when I asked power commanders. He said he has seen nothing but headaches from them. Downshift to boost the revs out of the hesitation zone and you'll be fine.

This is perhaps the most on point advice. It’s a small single. They don’t like running at low revs (and neither do larger singles either). Sure you pay your way into making it run smoother but lugging it doesn’t do the engine any favours. Best solution is just to learn how to ride a single and keep the revs up. Cheapest solution too.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Well, all l can say is that since fitting the RBE my Duke 390 is much smoother at low RPM.

The module is a simple one with only one connection (exhaust lambda probe)
So l doubt that it has a learning facility.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, all l can say is that since fitting the RBE my Duke 390 is much smoother at low RPM.

The module is a simple one with only one connection (exhaust lambda probe)
So l doubt that it has a learning facility.
Yup, its the Rapid Bike Evo that has the auto-adaptive feature. The Exclusive version seems to be priced quite decently and you can add options like quikshifter!

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is perhaps the most on point advice. It’s a small single. They don’t like running at low revs (and neither do larger singles either). Sure you pay your way into making it run smoother but lugging it doesn’t do the engine any favours. Best solution is just to learn how to ride a single and keep the revs up. Cheapest solution too.
True! After riding about 1000 miles, I must have learnt to ride it properly because I don't feel the jerkiness any more.

But I can understand peoples frustration when riding in really slow traffic, because 1st gear isn't great for that, and 2nd gear can be lumpy at 15-20mph...

·
Registered
673 Posts
If your sole intention is to make the bike smoother and easier to ride at low RPM in low gears, then the RBE does just that.

I think there’s another brand that also works the same.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The long and the short of it is that people have different budgets / opinions .....

i agree that on a Gen 2 bike, the piggy back boxes do little more into tricking the ecu that it's cold and to bung a bit more fuel in ( bit like pulling the choke on in the old days).....God knows how they justify the price - but thats another story...

Saying that a single cyl is lumpy is a wide reaching comment - as well as my Gen 2 390, i also have a CB300R and its as smooth as silk - in town or out.. slow speeds or fast speeds....

On my Gen 1 390 i did the full monty trying to get rid of the jerkyness - and without a doubt - the best thing i did, by a country mile - was to change the rear sprocket to a smaller one.....

So when i got the Gen 2 390, whilst it was nowhere near as jerky as the Gen 1 - Something had to be done.......i changed the 44T standard sprocked for a 41T one - Viola - Job done - jerkyness gone.....for not a lot of money ..... but if you want to spend $500 on a piggy back and $500 for a can - fill your boots - it's your money !

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
Only the most basic of piggyback work by fooling the ECU that it’s cold. That’s why they are cheaper. The more £500 piggyback are much more sophisticated and you get what you pay for.

Everything is a generalisation at some point. Yes you can balance out a single so it’s smooth. Few manufacturers choose to do that because there is a price to pay. Extra mass has to be accelerated and braked. It’s why race cars are undriveable on the road and it’s why KTM don’t choose to do that on their bikes. It says says Ready to Race on the TFT on start up for a reason.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts