KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have Rapid Bike Easy and it makes its job. Just last week rode without it whole week and it was terrible on low rpms. Easy instalation, plug and play, without wire cutting.
I recomend

·
Registered
502 Posts
Is it because in stock form, it runs so **** lean to pass emissions that it cannot run smoothly?:rolleyes::rolleyes::serious:

Ha! Emissions are always a factor. If you’ve ever driven a vehicle with a lightened flywheel you’d be very familiar with the same lumpy, jerky, clutch slipping experience people complain about with the 390.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ha! Emissions are always a factor. If you’ve ever driven a vehicle with a lightened flywheel you’d be very familiar with the same lumpy, jerky, clutch slipping experience people complain about with the 390.
Very familiar. In the 1980’s I removed/lightened/8-doweled/rebalanced the flywheel on my 1966 type 1

Reactions: Mirius

·
Registered
502 Posts
Very familiar. In the 1980’s I removed/lightened/8-doweled/rebalanced the flywheel on my 1966 type 1

Exactly. And I’m guessing you did it for exactly the reason that people choose KTM rather than more mid market oriented offerings. My Duke certainly revs and shuts off massively faster than my sports touring Bandit. Modern software can do a lot with fly by wire systems but you can’t eliminate the laws of physics. I’m now going to have to check some part numbers to see if The improved smooth running of the gen 2 bikes is just software or if they played with the balancer shaft. Given I’ve seen commentary that the gen 1 bikes are faster...

·
Registered
103 Posts
+1 vote for a rapid bike evo. Whole new bike now. Buy the exclusive version. Way better price.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi Mad M. I went against my word and purchased a Rapid Bike Easy instead of the BoosterPlug. I chose the Easy because I am going to leave the engine/air box/exhaust in the stock configuration. I like quiet.

With that said, the RBE arrived yesterday. I installed it today, paying careful attention to route the wiring harness so that it cannot be seen, nor interfere with anything HOT. I placed the control unit under the pillion seat. There is even a small cutout on the left side of the under seat box for the harness to lay/pass into the compartment. Took about 2:15 to install.

Best 200$ spent!!! As others have stated, it transforms the motorbike. It actually makes it ‘civilized’ in the lower revs of the lower gears. Everything that it should be from the factory. Of course it cannot be this way due to the very lean condition of the AFR in order to appease the emission authorities.

There was a hiccup. After starting the second time, the CEL came on. I did the 15:30 idle period to reset the ECU. Even disconnected the battery for a short while. I also turned the fuel potentiometer to +1 (down from +2). Test rode it again and it still runs/rides like a dream. After a few more engine starts/stops/ key cycles, the check engine light went out after startup.

I would recommend the rapid bike easy for a simple device to improve the ride-ability of the 390

·
Registered
673 Posts
Hi Mad M. I went against my word and purchased a Rapid Bike Easy instead of the BoosterPlug. I chose the Easy because I am going to leave the engine/air box/exhaust in the stock configuration. I like quiet.

With that said, the RBE arrived yesterday. I installed it today, paying careful attention to route the wiring harness so that it cannot be seen, nor interfere with anything HOT. I placed the control unit under the pillion seat. There is even a small cutout on the left side of the under seat box for the harness to lay/pass into the compartment. Took about 2:15 to install.

Best 200$ spent!!! As others have stated, it transforms the motorbike. It actually makes it ‘civilized’ in the lower revs of the lower gears. Everything that it should be from the factory. Of course it cannot be this way due to the very lean condition of the AFR in order to appease the emission authorities.

There was a hiccup. After starting the second time, the CEL came on. I did the 15:30 idle period to reset the ECU. Even disconnected the battery for a short while. I also turned the fuel potentiometer to +1 (down from +2). Test rode it again and it still runs/rides like a dream. After a few more engine starts/stops/ key cycles, the check engine light went out after startup.

I would recommend the rapid bike easy for a simple device to improve the ride-ability of the 390
I also had the CEL come on after installing the RBE unit.
I turned the fuelling control from +2 to +1 as you did
After a couple more rides the CEL went out and has not come back on.
The RBE still works when set to +1

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ditto! +1 and all is good. No CEL

I pulled the battery and put mine away for the winter as of yesterday

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
I never heard of any PowerTRONIC users having any lights come on, really?

·
Registered
673 Posts
It’s not a Powertronic, it’s a Rapid Bike Easy

I guess that’s why it has adjustable settings in case the bike ECU throws an error code

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have never heard of anyone using a Powertronic, except for one

·
Registered
502 Posts
I never heard of any PowerTRONIC users having any lights come on, really?

Does PowerTronic auto tune or does it use maps? Even maps will throw codes unless you have the same setup and environment as applied when the map was created.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts