KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick thumbs up to CB_Comp Moto ([email protected]) for helping me to the STR tyres I have been searching for, for over a year in Thailand with all others unwilling to order the uncommon 17" types for our bikes.
Scorpion Rally STR

Charliechun Buasri (Yim)
Assistant Managing Director
Comp Moto Co., Ltd
Mob : + 66 89 003 8886
Tel: +66 2 3201910

·
Super Moderator
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is, and I'm sure they will be after 2 sets of MT60's that are wonderful tyres for the surfaces I ride on as well as fantastic on wet tarmac these STR's apparently will be even better and quieter.
I'll report back ones fitted and done a few km's.

good on them, hope it is worth the wait for you

·
Super Moderator
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are and shipped to Nongkai for me (THB120), from here by a special courier to Vientiane (THB 1,000).
It was wonderful dealing with K Yim @ Comp-Moto who is perfect in English as well.
Now I just need to ride up some 700+ km to put them on my bike.

Guessing they are a BKK company.
Did they ship to you in Laos?

·
Super Moderator
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As promised my write-up on the Pirelli Scorpion STR's.
Got these fitted at a small bike shop in Vientiane called FT Performance, 1 man shop.
Left the capitol early morning on Feb 08th on a heavily overcast day.
About 30 minutes into the ride south it started to rain and never stopped that day.
Not the best of riding situations without rain gear :rolleyes:
Anyway, I figured it an excellent way to feel the new tyres in the rain even with these not bedded in.
It was indeed a long day soaked and cold at 19C ambient temps.

The next day visited one of the largest cave complexes in Laos at Tham Nam Non, near Kong Lor Cave.
This was a lot of mud after the rains and pebbles in the dried out river bed.
After this set off to complete the Tha Khek loop which is a combination of tarmac and concrete roads in a pretty hill scenery surrounded by karst mountains.
Spent the night in a little homestay with dinner around a bonfire outdoors with a couple of Vietnamese beers.

The next morning finished the loop and headed for the Mekong in Tha Khek town to continue along the river over tarmac, gravel and wood covered Bayley bridges to the city of Kaysone (Savannakhet) the first President of the Lao PDR.

After a good nights sleep, I set off on the new loop of Savannakhet (Xe Champhone Loop) visiting the monkey forest and the beautiful Hotay Pidoh Temple/library, this is mainly tarmac and some stretches of dirt road and gravel.
About 75km before reaching Pakse I opted to turn off to the right to visit the Phou Xieng Thong National Protected area which turned out to be a real off-road adventure of 7km on deep dust, rocks and challenging climbs and descents.

Long story short I can truthfully say that after 1,400 km's of STR riding these do not disappoint at all.
Cornering on tarmac is even better than my previous MT60 which I already thought amazing for 60/40 tyres.
In the loose sand, the front is "searching" more than the MT60's but on gravel and rocks, these STR's perform better.
All in all, these are definitely worth the wait and looking forward to more discoveries on this set of Pirelli's.

·
Super Moderator
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fender at such is the stock fender on my 2012 Duke but it was elevated by approximately 1.5 cm with the previous Pirelli MT60 tyre.
Now with the STR I have taken out the extension pieces again (not in this pic yet) to lower the fender to its original level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts