KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so im thinking of using plasti dip to make my fuel tank black. I eventually want to make the bike all black and orange (no white). I would prefer an orange tank but I figured it would be too hard to colour match. Have any of you used plasti dip before? Is it any good? What were the results like?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey guys so im thinking of using plasti dip to make my fuel tank black. I eventually want to make the bike all black and orange (no white). I would prefer an orange tank but I figured it would be too hard to colour match. Have any of you used plasti dip before? Is it any good? What were the results like?
Ive done my tank and headlight cover with plastidip, it works well.
The only problem I have is where my legs touch the tank on the sides it does rub and start coming off... you have to keep retouching it with a little brush and some plastidip thats you can spray into something.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive done my tank and headlight cover with plastidip, it works well.
The only problem I have is where my legs touch the tank on the sides it does rub and start coming off... you have to keep retouching it with a little brush and some plastidip thats you can spray into something.
looks awesome!
what did you do in terms of primer/number of coats/sealer?
also what brand of plasti dip?

·
Registered
38 Posts
looks awesome!
what did you do in terms of primer/number of coats/sealer?
also what brand of plasti dip?
No primer, you clean the tank properly so theres no dirt or anything.
Mask the areas you dont want it on and then spray. The area on the tank just off the seat where my legs touch get a little bit extra as thats where it will rub and start peeling.
As I mentioned above I touch that area up with a brush every 2nd week or so, it only takes a few seconds.

I use the Performix brand, I have 2 coats near the top of the tank and tapered up to 4 where your legs touch the edges.

I plan on spraying my whole tank black properly in the near furure and putting on some of my own decals I had made.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Maybe try some cheap flat or satin clear coat to seal it off from rubbing. Id use a bit of scrap or something to test it first ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mask the areas you dont want it on and then spray. The area on the tank just off the seat where my legs touch get a little bit extra as thats where it will rub and start peeling.
As I mentioned above I touch that area up with a brush every 2nd week or so, it only takes a few seconds.

I use the Performix brand, I have 2 coats near the top of the tank and tapered up to 4 where your legs touch the edges.

I plan on spraying my whole tank black properly in the near furure and putting on some of my own decals I had made.
did you use the aerosol cans or a proper spray painters gun? i was going to do the whole tank but i think i like the way you did it better :p

·
Registered
520 Posts

i wonder if its possible to stretch vinyl over the tank and just use black vinyl.

·
Registered
38 Posts
did you use the aerosol cans or a proper spray painters gun? i was going to do the whole tank but i think i like the way you did it better :p
I was going to do the whole tank originally but thought i'd experiment a bit and this way came out very nice!

I used the aerosol cans.

I was gonna get the paint in the big 5L tin and use my proper spray gun and compressor but I didnt feel like all the mess of cleaning my gun out afterwards and also thinning the plastidip enough to get through the nozzle... a bit lazy but the result form the can was good enough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have vinyl.wrapped my duke in camo take a look at gallery just putt it up n the first time I've tried aswel not hard atall just takes patients

1 - 15 of 15 Posts