KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, open question I know, I've a 2017 390 Duke, which one of the ECU's piggy back unit have you fitted, pro's and con's ? read about the RapidBike easy and BoosterPlug, not the power command unit (yet!), more importantly the members that fitted the units to the 2017, your thoughts are welcome, this is not an area that I'm familiar with so sorry for future questions, for which could be many, it's not the cost, is just getting the right one one first time, in my mind the RapidBike easy looks the goer, but plug n play BoosterPlug looks promising too

Your thoughts and experience, TIA

Trevor

·
Registered
586 Posts
Interested as I want one of the two. I don't want anything I have to spend a lot of time on to tune since I already deal with enough with my Supra.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Howdy,

Here's my take on this issue. I'll say from the outset that when I was looking for an ECU piggyback, I went with a RapidBike EVO & am extremely happy with it.

Most engines these days are running lean air/fuel mixtures in order to meet emission standards, but lean mixtures mean less power & rough running. Start changing exhausts & air filters etc. & the situation gets worse. The aim of most ECU piggybacks is to richen-up the mixture.

BoosterPlug - ECU's are programmed to adjust the amount of fuel injected depending on air temperature in order to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio, and more fuel is injected in cooler temps. The BosterPlug is a simple device that connects to your bike's Air Intake Temperature (or AIT for short) sensor which fools the ECU into thinking the air temperature is cooler than it really is, so more fuel is injected which richens the mixture. It's a simple 'set-and-forget' solution & can work well (I have one on my BMW F800R) but it doesn't allow for all lean running scenarios as it can't be adjusted. Change to a more free flowing exhaust, for example, and the BoosterPlug might not compensate enough for it.

RapidBike Easy - Similar in benefit to the BoosterPlug, but instead fools the ECU by adjusting the signal from the oxygen sensor in the bikes exhaust. The O2 sensor measures the amount of unburnt oxygen in the exhaust stream & the ECU adds/subtracts fuel in order to maintain a set air/fuel ratio. If you can fool the ECU into thinking there is more unburnt oxygen in the exhaust it'll add more fuel, thus richening the mixture. The EASY can be manually adjusted to set the amount of extra fuel being added, but adjustability is limited.

Power Commander, Powertronic & Bazzaz. - Now we are getting serious. These units contain 'maps' (ie a table of settings) that can be user-programmed to precisely add to or subtract from the amount of fuel being added in order to get the best possible power output at certain revs. You can adjust the maps by going on your 'butt dyno' ie how the bike feels when you ride it, or by putting it on a dyno & have the operator make the adjustments for you. However, if you change something (like add a different exhaust) you'll usually need to re-do the map. The good news is these units can be upgraded to self-learning versions where they monitor their own running conditions & change their maps on the fly for different atmospheric conditions or if you make changes to the bike.

RapidBike EVO - Like Power Commander, Powertronic & Bazzaz it offers great control over the entire rev range, but it comes std. as self-learning. No need to have to muck around with adjusting maps if anything changes. Again.. truly 'set-and-forget'.

So... what this means is you get what you pay for. BoosterPlug's & EASY's work well, but don't expect them to be absolutely perfect for your situation.

The other thing to point out is that I'm only talking about fuel control & not discussing ignition control. If you want the ultimate you'll need to do your own checking to see which piggybacks have that feature.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi all, open question I know, I've a 2017 390 Duke, which one of the ECU's piggy back unit have you fitted, pro's and con's ? read about the RapidBike easy and BoosterPlug, not the power command unit (yet!), more importantly the members that fitted the units to the 2017, your thoughts are welcome, this is not an area that I'm familiar with so sorry for future questions, for which could be many, it's not the cost, is just getting the right one one first time, in my mind the RapidBike easy looks the goer, but plug n play BoosterPlug looks promising too

Your thoughts and experience, TIA

Trevor
Hi Trevor,

PowerTRONIC was one the of the first piggyback ECUs available for the '17 KTM 390 which offers both fuel and ignition control. Just fuel control would not improve performance to the level possible with both fuel and ignition control.

Our pretuned maps would take care of most intake/exhaust modifications that you might wish to make. The quickshifter would be an added advantage which is available as an optional add-on. We provide mating connectors for all the required connections making the unit truly plug and play.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Not to steal your thread or anything but I have a question for the masses running RBE. I know you can make adjustments, what realistic mods could you run using this? Would it be safe to run any of these combinations?

1. K&N Filter stock everything else
2. K&N Filter with holes drilled into the air box (3 nickel size holes)
3. K&N Filter with open air box (MMNTHBX)
4. K&N Filter with modified air box and exhaust.
5. K&N Filter with Exhaust

Just testing the waters to see what is in the realm of realistic results.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Where did you order it? The link on their website takes me to Amazon, where it's out of stock?
If you're facing trouble while placing an order, drop in a mail to [email protected] and we shall be more than happy to help. :)

After clicking the buy now button, you will be presented with multiple options. Amazon is available only for delivery within India. For delivery to any other region select the second option.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is a North American distributor.
Powersutra.

If you are in Canada or the USA you can’t order from powertronic website .... use power sutraHi Greg, you can contact PowerSutra to place an order.

www.powersutra.com

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
Yes, Chillibones,

The PowerTRONIC units are fully adjustable (fueling & ignition) and you can opt for a Quick Shifter as well.
If you order with what components you have changed on your bike there is a fair chance they can pre-install map to the correct set-up for your bike.
PowerTRONIC units come with 2 pre-installed maps that you can easily switch between by connecting or releasing a plug.

You can ask any question this concerning here on the forum direct to the manufacturer as they are a sponsor of our forum.

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
Ede,

The reason is pretty simple.
Coober is supposed to be a very good Piggyback for standard set-up bikes (the way they are sold by the dealers).
This is why Coober takes over the warranty of KTM.
If however, you start modding the crap out of your bike the Coober will not comply and as it is not customer adjustable will not function that well on a non-standard Duke.
If I understand Coober correctly they only comply to Power Part modifications such as the Power Part aftermarket Acro but definitely not with any other exhausts, slip-on's or high flow air filters.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is there a maps thread for Powertronic? I'm guessing V2 as I just purchased it a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ede,

The reason is pretty simple.
Coober is supposed to be a very good Piggyback for standard set-up bikes (the way they are sold by the dealers).
This is why Coober takes over the warranty of KTM.
If however, you start modding the crap out of your bike the Coober will not comply and as it is not customer adjustable will not function that well on a non-standard Duke.
If I understand Coober correctly they only comply to Power Part modifications such as the Power Part aftermarket Acro but definitely not with any other exhausts, slip-on's or high flow air filters.
As I understand it, you're OK with other exhausts according to Coober: https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/ktm-duke-general-discussion/42937-performance-ecu-2.html#post388721

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
Coober.

I was in contact with Coober before the product was finished (Coober the manufacturer, not an NA distributor) by email and they made it absolutely clear that in order for them to take over the warranty from KTM on the bike it needed to be either standard or modified with PowerParts accessories.
This was in the time I was searching for a piggyback for my Duke 200 with a DNA air filter.
I am convinced of the quality of Coober, as KTM would not recommend just any piggyback to undo what the factory has been painstakingly trying to achieve to get through the model homologation for Europe and before some US stated as I now believe the president is revoking all emission restrictions.

PowerTRONICS being sold now are the V3 models that come with the cable to add the quick shifter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
"Self learning" injection with an almost "blind" stock narrowband lambda... Not too fast learning...

Wich piggyback ECU's are able to control closed loop?

Warranty in new bikes gets cancelled.

Piggyback ECU's alone can't overcome phisical lack of fuel. Increasing pulse duration in an injector that already is working at 100% duty cycle is not going to work. Engine modifications on intake and exhaust may require higher flow injector or higher rated fuel pressure regulator to avoid lean conditions at WOT or open loop... Higher rated FPR can be used with the stock ECU also.

The only "self learning" ignition ECU I heard of is Ion Sensing. Ion Sensing mirroring was developed by Saab and later purchased by Chevrolet and Harley Davidson, but sadly not too much further development or practical application.

To set the right ignition map for a given setup you need a lot of runs in dyno able to work with partial loads (Load dyno vs. Innertial dyno) . And still a properly tuned knock sensor will be necessary (not present in the stock 390 engine)... Swapping ignition maps without knock sensor and dyno runs is ask for disaster.

2020 & up models come equipped with "easy shift" quick shifter.

Plug in piggy back ECU, WHY one?

Regards.

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
Although you have some valued points I wonder why various piggyback produce their dyno maps/charts showing some (marginal) power and/or torque increases that can be reproduced by anyone with a dyno?
Obviously, there will be maps that are shown in the utmost favourable conditions but nevertheless, they generate an increase.
Now I am intrigued by your remark(s) on increasing the line pressure to the injector and/or a 'larger' injector but would the ECU not reduce the amount of fuel being injected (shortening the injection time) when the O2 sensor detects a too rich AFR?
I am living in a country where basically nothing motorcycle wise is available so I always try to make sense of it all before I start ordering stuff from other places that for me take at least a month to arrive and obviously is more expensive to get in the Lao PDR.
An interesting discussion, I think.

"Self learning" injection with an almost "blind" stock narrowband lambda... Not too fast learning...

Wich piggyback ECU's are able to control closed loop?

Piggyback ECU's can't overcome phisical lack of fuel. Engine modifications on intake and exhaust will require higher flow injector or higher rated fuel pressure regulator to avoid lean conditions at WOT or open loop... Higher rated FPR can be used with the stock ECU also.

The only "self learning" ignition ECU I heard of is Ion Sensing. Ion Sensing mirroring was developed by Saab and later purchased by Chevrolet and Harley Davidson, but sadly not too much further development or practical application.

To set the right ignition map for a given setup you need a lot of runs in dyno able to work with partial loads. And still a properly tuned knock sensor will be necessary (not present in the stock 390 engine)... Swapping ignition maps without knock sensor and dyno runs is ask for disaster.

2020 & up models come equipped with "easy shift" quick shifter.

Plug in piggy back ECU, Why one?

Regards.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts