KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this has been the biggest cry for few of us who tour on the D390.
Has anyone tried installing a bigger fuel tank? I would think about 15liter would be perfect.
Assuming a litre sits idle at the bottom, with a FE of 28kmpl *14ltr would mean a touring range of close to 400kms.

What are the possibilities here? Sadly, I dont see much of a chance to experiment in Bangalore :rolleyes:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Theres probably enough room for maybe an extra litre underneath the tank shroud, rather than finding someone to tool a mold and blow a new tank its easier to carry fuel bladders. They pack well and roll up once empty.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Theres probably enough room for maybe an extra litre underneath the tank shroud, rather than finding someone to tool a mold and blow a new tank its easier to carry fuel bladders. They pack well and roll up once empty.
x2

more practical to just get fuel bladders

·
Registered
179 Posts
Isn't there an adventure bike that is made by KTM that would have a bigger fuel tank. I realize that doesn't help much if you have already purchased a Duke, but it is something to think about.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isn't there an adventure bike that is made by KTM that would have a bigger fuel tank. I realize that doesn't help much if you have already purchased a Duke, but it is something to think about.
Not avaliable in India right now and I already got a D390 :)

Where would this fit anyway?

If I lived in India where labour is cheap I'd be making a custom alloy tank.
Labor is somewhat cheap but finding the right person for the job is a pain in the 'you know where'. Fiber tank might be a good option but alloy? Not sure.

With a bigger tank, the stock tank shrouds might not fit. Would it?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Where would the Bladder fit? Same place you put your Coke bottle of fuel, and the best part is they dont breath, swell or bust in your bag if you fall on them ;)

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh that.. Yeah, in the recent ride I used a bottle of coke to hold a couple of liters as emergency measure :p As a matter of fact, these bottles are damm sturdy and once in a while I loosen the cap to let the fumes escape.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was thinking that you could find a way o just carry around a little fuel canister in order to have some extra fuel. I am just not sure about actually replacing the fuel tank of the Duke in order to make it any bigger.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi guys,

Just a thought, would the fuel tank from the 690 not fit onto the 390? Surely there will be some kind of bracket adjustments/manufacturing but maybe it's possible? BTW I have not looked but I guess it's a couple of litres bigger!?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Hi guys,

Just a thought, would the fuel tank from the 690 not fit onto the 390? Surely there will be some kind of bracket adjustments/manufacturing but maybe it's possible? BTW I have not looked but I guess it's a couple of litres bigger!?
The design is completely different you can understand by seeing the attachments below.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Greart!

Thanks for that cansur28! Its just working through all options till we get there. I am not eager to carry a fuel bladder with me so i will be on the search for some kind of tank that will work on the 390.

I am sure there will be some companies, maybe acerbis, that will look into something like this. Their quality is always great, but i guess we will have to wait and see.

Thanks once again!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts