KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2021 Duke and probably read more than my fair share of ECU information and reviews. I'm pretty much settled on the PowerTRONIC, based on functionality, performance, support, and cost. I've also looked into their newer FuelX devices and questioned why someone would install both. I connected with a few folks from PowerTRONIC and this is the most detailed explanation I've received. I hope this helps the forum, and I'm curious as to thoughts from others regarding why the ECU isn't "enough" on its own.

"FuelX is a fuel optimizer that is focused on refining and enhancing the motor to ensure it runs smooth and is happy. It autotunes the engine to its best optimal parameters constantly monitoring, learning, and adapting to the conditions of the engine like wear and tear, riding style, mods like exhaust/air filter as well as external weather conditions and altitude. It can control the AFR completely, as well as reduce stalling, jerking, and bogging in the initial throttle range and provide a better throttle response.

As a result, the engine will be running in an optimal condition, much cooler operating engine temperature and lesser gear shifts incidentally resulting in performance gains at the lower RPM and throttle percentage region. This initial response helps the engine to eventually pushes more at higher revs and throttle percentages and provides overall performance.

Whereas the PowerTRONIC is a piggyback ECU, its major role is to improve the overall performance of the motorcycle by controlling fueling and ignition. For the open-loop control, you can use the PowerTROINIC which is a piggyback Plug-N-Play ECU that comes with 2 pre-tuned maps. (Map 1-Race, Map 2-Race+). It controls both Fuel and Ignition. You can load the current map as the base map and relatively change the Amount of fuel (in%) and Ignition timing (in degrees) of the bike with the help of R-Tune software."

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have both on my not quite stock 2016. Whole different bike, total transformation. Feels more like a supermoto vs a mini version. Started with only the PT unit, but once I blew the head gasket & had to shave the head, install a thin head gasket & bigger injector, she ran hot all the time. The FuelX seems to have cooled it off quite a bit, fan barely ever comes on now where it use to run all the time. Living in Central Florida, cooler running bike is a blessing!

·
Registered
2017 KTM DUKE 390
90 Posts
Can someone please explain this? According to the video, if the Lamda sensor is closed loop... How does the Fuelx effect the entire range if it's only connected through the Lamda sensor?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,from what I know about these sort of things that I have seen is they just take over the lambda signal with the piggyback ECU,we used to see similar things on cars people would instal a piggyback ECU and it would connect to air flow meter,lambda sensors and coolant temp sensor,with the cars it was a way to run different maps without putting in a stand alone ECU system.

·
Administrator
2,324 Posts
A BoosterPlug ONLY fools the ECU in reacting to an X degrees cooler temperature and in doing so has the ECU injecting a little more fuel throughout the whole rev range.
These units are not available for the Euro5 bikes.

Can someone please explain this? According to the video, if the Lamda sensor is closed loop... How does the Fuelx effect the entire range if it's only connected through the Lamda sensor?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Versatile26, any update? Did you get the powertronic? How has it worked out on the 2021?
I bought the PowerTRONIC ECU and map switch, installed it myself, and I'm very pleased. I'm a big fan of the unit so far. I installed a few other items, and have what seem to be good maps loaded, but I'm continuing to research. Highly recommended.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts