KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
561 - 580 of 587 Posts
With a heavy heart, I post this as my V3 PowerTRONIC seems to have died.
Bought 2 units, 1x for my Duke 200 (2012) and 1x for my Duke 390 (2015).
Installed the harness and unit on the 200 on March 4th, 2017 and have enjoyed the set-up ever since.
On March 13th, 2021 I set off for a road trip north, the weather was great, the roads empty and spirits high.
About 1 hour (70km) into the ride, going uphill, the engine cut.
Rolled out and stopped at the side of the road, and analysed the possibilities.
Figured the PowerTRONIC was the culprit as also non of the LED lights lit up.
As I have not had the dongle with me on rides after the first year, I unplugged all harness connectors and set them all back to the original position having the PT connectors dangling loose.
Happy the bike started straight away, hopped on and continued my tour for over 2,900 km through the mountains of northern Laos, visiting sites such as the latest Plains of Jars site #52 (Phakeo) and Long Tieng.
Upon return, I had a chat with Deepak A. from their customers' service department in which he confirmed the analysis of the unit being dead.
On March 25th, 2021 I uninstalled the harness and V3 Unit and will be riding without for now.

It is really as I have been very happy with it up till it just died.
I still run the same unit on my 390 in Thailand but for now not able to cross as our borders are still closed.
Looking at alternatives I also find that in order to buy another brand doing fuel & ignition comes out a lot more expensive.
A RBEvo (only fuel) comes in at Euro 420 (excluding shipping) and a Power Commander (only fuel) at USD 380 (ex ship).
I was offered a discount by PT with which I could leave the harness in place but nothing wrong with trying something else if only to compare.
PT has a sale on at the moment offering 20% discount on the units plus includes a map switch which is not bad actually bringing their price down to just under USD 300 (this is a fuel AND ignition manipulator).
I might opt for the Italian Dimsport EVO.

Now that’s a shame. One day I may go PT

to update ... the guys in RD gave me 10maps to play over the weekend .... :D:D:Dwicked !!!
Will any of these maps work on 2017 duke 390? I am looking for a map that will support
93 octane pump gas (usa)

Competition werks GP slip on -
BMC racing air filter -
Coober air box lid -
2016 and prior duke 390 header pipe to support the exhaust I hose -

It is really as I have been very happy with it up till it just died.
I still run the same unit on my 390 in Thailand but for now not able to cross as our borders are still closed.
Looking at alternatives I also find that in order to buy another brand doing fuel & ignition comes out a lot more expensive.
A RBEvo (only fuel) comes in at Euro 420 (excluding shipping) and a Power Commander (only fuel) at USD 380 (ex ship).
I was offered a discount by PT with which I could leave the harness in place but nothing wrong with trying something else if only to compare.
PT has a sale on at the moment offering 20% discount on the units plus includes a map switch which is not bad actually bringing their price down to just under USD 300 (this is a fuel AND ignition manipulator).
I might opt for the Italian Dimsport EVO.
I loved the RB Evo, but it has limitations. Biggest + it has going for it, it constantly adjust the maps even in what is normally closed loop. Always a buttery smooth ride because of this. Biggest down side (at least for me), was that I could not change the rev limit, and the additional $300+ for a quick shifter if I wanted to add it on later. Actually loving the PT unit because of the added RPM (I ride like I stole it every time I get on it), and I am about to snatch the QS sensor off my Grom (pretty much useless on a little bike) and connect it to the PT so I have QS capabilities.

Although not 100% sure I think when switching from PT to RB it automatically implemented the added rpm's?
The advantage I find with the RB over the PT is indeed the adjustments at closed-loop riding (which most will do in 85% (or so) of their riding time.
A $ 300 for a QS can hardly be a downside on the actual RB unit as this is an optional extra as it is on the PT (which I have and never used).
Would just any QS work with the PT? The PT QS is only an upshift device, as far as I am aware they do not offer the downshift/blip option (yet).
There are several other gadgets you can get on the RB which are not available on a PT unit as well.
Don't miss understand me, I did love the PT when I installed it back in 2017 but now being forced, more or less, to switch the piggyback due to a total failure on the installed PT unit, I like the RV better (for now only on my 200)
I am actually thinking of getting the RB Race for my 390 ones the borders open and I am allowed back into Thailand (where my 390 lives).
So far I have found both PT and Dimsport Italy wonderful in their service, replying to emails etc.

PT now sells at a discounted rate of USD 469 plus an additional USD 25 off with a discount code and this includes the QS upshift (USD 160) plus the dongle.
RB sells the EVO € 300 including the loom, QS up/down € 350 + € 40 dongle.

I loved the RB Evo, but it has limitations. Biggest + it has going for it, it constantly adjust the maps even in what is normally closed loop. Always a buttery smooth ride because of this. Biggest down side (at least for me), was that I could not change the rev limit, and the additional $300+ for a quick shifter if I wanted to add it on later. Actually loving the PT unit because of the added RPM (I ride like I stole it every time I get on it), and I am about to snatch the QS sensor off my Grom (pretty much useless on a little bike) and connect it to the PT so I have QS capabilities.

Ever dropped an email to Dimsport Italy to ask how to:?
As far as I'm aware, increasing the RPM's has always been a feature of the RB EVO.
Dimsport's customer service dept is very responsive and helpful.

Not on the Duke/RC390. Unless they added it later on after I sold mine, which would piss me off. LOL

With a heavy heart, I post this as my V3 PowerTRONIC seems to have died.
Bought 2 units, 1x for my Duke 200 (2012) and 1x for my Duke 390 (2015).
Installed the harness and unit on the 200 on March 4th, 2017 and have enjoyed the set-up ever since.
On March 13th, 2021 I set off for a road trip north, the weather was great, the roads empty and spirits high.
About 1 hour (70km) into the ride, going uphill, the engine cut.
Rolled out and stopped at the side of the road, and analysed the possibilities.
Figured the PowerTRONIC was the culprit as also non of the LED lights lit up.
As I have not had the dongle with me on rides after the first year, I unplugged all harness connectors and set them all back to the original position having the PT connectors dangling loose.
Happy the bike started straight away, hopped on and continued my tour for over 2,900 km through the mountains of northern Laos, visiting sites such as the latest Plains of Jars site #52 (Phakeo) and Long Tieng.
Upon return, I had a chat with Deepak A. from their customers' service department in which he confirmed the analysis of the unit being dead.
On March 25th, 2021 I uninstalled the harness and V3 Unit and will be riding without for now.
Hi, did you use PT stock map or yourself tuning? can u share your maps with me? Thank you

Hi,

Just installed my PT on my 2021 390 duke. Everything went well. Took 2 hours (I took my time and triple checked) Including the map switch. The stock maps are ok for my setup and I noticed a difference on map 2 at highway speeds. Like the bike "wants to go". Compared to the limit I felt on map 1

Ride safe!

i met an problem with PT for Duke 390.
After connect all socket with Stock Couple device, the TPS light not on. I checked all connection, all are ok but TPS light still off and i could start engine.
I installed PT, and made auto calibrate TPS, it worked???? I turned throttle, all signal were received by R-tune. Then i did a test ride but my engine check light is on and nothing happen with my bike. i rode about 3kms but that light was also on. Recheck all sockets and re-test again, that light still on.
I put all socket to stock but...check engine light was not gone.
I have no OBD2 device for checking fault and too far with service station. Does any one know what happens with it and any solution for me?
Thank you.

Ever dropped an email to Dimsport Italy to ask how to:?
As far as I'm aware, increasing the RPM's has always been a feature of the RB EVO.
Dimsport's customer service dept is very responsive and helpful.
Been way busy for a while and spending some quality time with my poor little neglected Grom and the Grom community.

I did contact them, they said they never claimed to be able to raise the limit on the Duke. I clipped a screenshot of the description directly from their page and sent it back to them, they quickly changed their description. LOL

shush319,

That is really odd as even on my 2012 EVO I have an increased RPM?
Checked the EVO description on the Dimsport website and nothing has changed that I can see, also the increased REV option is still there.

Could have been an added feature for the 2017+ models, mine is a 2016 and it was not able to be done according to Dimsport. It's the ONLY reason I sold the thing.

shush319,

That is really odd as even on my 2012 EVO I have an increased RPM?
Checked the EVO description on the Dimsport website and nothing has changed that I can see, also the increased REV option is still there.
So the guy @ rapidbike.us doesn't know WTH he's talking about I guess (see below). Either way I am more than happy with the PT unit and the ability to set the RPM limit wherever I want. Perhaps the way he interacted with me that day was what was off putting, I don't recall since it was nearly a year ago. I also got back with him and he claimed he had been in contact with Dimsport, who he said told him "that option is not available on the Duke". Oh well, I am getting the RPM I want and got some of my $$ back when I sold the RB EVO to another forum member who loves it, so it worked out all around.

From RB.us "Store Owner":

I do not claim the rep of the US reseller of Dimsport products does not know what he is talking about.
It could well be that US regulations do not allow for increased RPM's as they do not for the turn indicators used in the rest of the planet.
It is great you are happy with your PT now, I know I have been for a long time.
In general, I do not contact US companies as either they will not send stuff to Laos or if they do I pay USD 150 for a USD 100 part in shipping, not so from Europe.

So the guy @ rapidbike.us doesn't know WTH he's talking about I guess (see below). Either way I am more than happy with the PT unit and the ability to set the RPM limit wherever I want. Perhaps the way he interacted with me that day was what was off putting, I don't recall since it was nearly a year ago. I also got back with him and he claimed he had been in contact with Dimsport, who he said told him "that option is not available on the Duke". Oh well, I am getting the RPM I want and got some of my $$ back when I sold the RB EVO to another forum member who loves it, so it worked out all around.

From RB.us "Store Owner":

View attachment 53473

I do not claim the rep of the US reseller of Dimsport products does not know what he is talking about.
It could well be that US regulations do not allow for increased RPM's as they do not for the turn indicators used in the rest of the planet.
It is great you are happy with your PT now, I know I have been for a long time.
In general, I do not contact US companies as either they will not send stuff to Laos or if they do I pay USD 150 for a USD 100 part in shipping, not so from Europe.
You may have hit the nail on the head, U.S. and their stupid regulations ;-)

561 - 580 of 587 Posts