KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

561 - 564 of 564 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
With a heavy heart, I post this as my V3 PowerTRONIC seems to have died.
Bought 2 units, 1x for my Duke 200 (2012) and 1x for my Duke 390 (2015).
Installed the harness and unit on the 200 on March 4th, 2027 and have enjoyed the set-up ever since.
On March 13th, 2021 I set off for a road trip north, the weather was great, the roads empty and spirits high.
About 1 hour (70km) into the ride, going uphill, the engine cut.
Rolled out and stopped at the side of the road, and analysed the possibilities.
Figured the PowerTRONIC was the culprit as also non of the LED lights lit up.
As I have not had the dongle with me on rides after the first year, I unplugged all harness connectors and set them all back to the original position having the PT connectors dangling loose.
Happy the bike started straight away, hopped on and continued my tour for over 2,900 km through the mountains of northern Laos, visiting sites such as the latest Plains of Jars site #52 (Phakeo) and Long Tieng.
Upon return, I had a chat with Deepak A. from their customers' service department in which he confirmed the analysis of the unit being dead.
On March 25th, 2021 I uninstalled the harness and V3 Unit and will be riding without for now.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
It is really as I have been very happy with it up till it just died.
I still run the same unit on my 390 in Thailand but for now not able to cross as our borders are still closed.
Looking at alternatives I also find that in order to buy another brand doing fuel & ignition comes out a lot more expensive.
A RBEvo (only fuel) comes in at Euro 420 (excluding shipping) and a Power Commander (only fuel) at USD 380 (ex ship).
I was offered a discount by PT with which I could leave the harness in place but nothing wrong with trying something else if only to compare.
PT has a sale on at the moment offering 20% discount on the units plus includes a map switch which is not bad actually bringing their price down to just under USD 300 (this is a fuel AND ignition manipulator).
I might opt for the Italian Dimsport EVO.

Now that’s a shame. One day I may go PT

·
Registered
2 Posts
to update ... the guys in RD gave me 10maps to play over the weekend .... :D:D:Dwicked !!!
Will any of these maps work on 2017 duke 390? I am looking for a map that will support
93 octane pump gas (usa)

Competition werks GP slip on -
BMC racing air filter -
Coober air box lid -
2016 and prior duke 390 header pipe to support the exhaust I hose -

561 - 564 of 564 Posts