KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

PowerTRONIC Plug-in Piggyback Ecu - Everything you need to know!

363K views 586 replies 117 participants last post by  Mirius 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
PowerTRONIC is now officially available for the KTM Duke 390. Designed, developed and manufactured proudly in India, PowerTRONIC plugs in within minutes and delivers proven performance.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive design Motor vehicle

The PowerTRONIC Piggyback system is the most advanced piggyback system for single cylinder motorcycles in the market today. Developed as a universal plug-in system, the PowerTRONIC Piggyback series offers unmatched fuel and ignition control through advanced in-house developed algorithms, yet is extremely simple to set up.

While many products in the world offer piggyback controls, we take great pride in the fact that we are one of the very few companies (possibly the only) who provide ignition timing advance control to high levels of precision. Based on our sophisticated control strategies that predicts, controls, adjusts and adapts; all expected and unexpected engine transients are seamlessly and accurately handled, even on higher powered single cylinder engines, which ensures the response, feel, power, etc, are never compromised. It may be noted that the PowerTRONIC series uses only ignition timing signal and/or injection pulsewidth signal as the reference signal.

This ECU is completely programmable, and comes pre-mapped with optimal calibration for stock and mildly modified vehicles that increases power, efficiency, top speed and throttle response.

PowerTRONIC is the presently the only system in the world to offer all of the following as standard:

Fuel calibration : +/- 200% (0.1% resolution)
Ignition control - Advance and Retard :+/- 25 degrees (1° Resolution)
Extendable Rev-limit
Plug-in OEM Connectors
Downloadable maps
Access to R-Tune windows based tuning software

Performance Gains:

Horsepower:
Line Plot Text Slope Diagram

Power increases are noticeable from as low as 4000rpm with a 2HP Increase through the entire powerband. The bike continues to hold power upto the increased rev-limit(11,300rpm) allowing later up-shifts bringing the bike right back into the powerband. We anticipate good top-end power gains with a less restrictive intake and exhaust setup.

Torque:
Text Line Plot Slope Diagram

Significant torque gains as well for a stock bike, nearly 10% increase in wheel torque between 5000-8000 rpm making the already good midrange on this bike even better.

PowerTRONIC has been extensively road and track tested to ensure real world riding response and performance.

To order, please contact RaceDynamics at the following, keeping in mind that they'll respond to queries made over a weekend on the following Monday.
E-mail: info@racedynamics.in

The Facebook link below has a Buy NOW! app where you can shop immediately and pay through PayPal.
Facebook: http://facebook.com/PowertronicECU

Tel: +918040929292

If you need any specific map for your bike, please provide detail to the state of tune (filter, main ecu map Akra/non-Akra, exhaust, fuel used, etc.)

See less See more
#3 ·
Tuning is very straightforward, select the rpm/load range where you would like to alter fueling and ignition in the table and you have the option of dialing the required increase/decrease with respect to stock values. We do provide customs maps on request which can be loaded on the ECU without much effort.

Retail price is $250 for the Ktm 200/390 and international shipping charges are additional.

#15 ·
Like Duke mentioned mate its each to their own but its not just the HP increments, I like the ability to be able smoothen this fuel delivery out more and hopefully I can clean up the open/closed loop to get rid of the jerkiness at low revs. Theres also the Thermo change to help keep the engine cooler and the ability to play with RPM limit is an added bonus.
Although they state an added two hp you also have to consider what you gained by replacing the OEM filter, exhaust and any other engine mods. So in reality the 2hp is extra.
If you had no plans to change the Duke then its probably a waste of money but its certainly something I will be needing ;)

#19 ·
Having spent 6 hours with the PowerTRONIC I can comfortably say this product is definately worth your dollar.
The difference is instantly noticable from the moment you press the start button, it sounds less congested and has noticable sound difference. It doesnt stop there, the first blip of the throttle tells you this thing is working.
Currently my bike has no aftermarket filter or exhaust as I wanted to see what happens with a stock bike, its brilliant! If you plan on making no changes to your bike then at least make this one as you wont regret it.
Improvements:
Throttle/Fuel Delivery - the improvement that this delivers is worth the money alone, no longer does the stuttering exist from the Open/Closed Loop part of the throttle. Although some stuttering still exists its a massive improvement on the original curve, if your a city rider you will really enjoy this aspect.
Acceleration:
Noteable difference and lets the engine breath the way its supposed to, has a much better pull from down low and certainly reaches the speed zone much faster. At 108km/h it sits around 5,600rpm which is right on the sweet spot and helps with the engine keeping its momentum, it also pulls away well if kept in 6th when overtaking.
RPM Ceiling;
The increase in the RPM limit has helped a lot with not hitting the rev limiter, I like changing gear from engine noise and rarely look down. Originally my change point was just before the limiter kicked in which sometimes made it hit and miss....now its all hits.
Temperature:
Has made a small difference with the original coolant, intend on using Ice Cool so Im expecting better improvements. Having the fan cut in much earlier helps a lot with the cooling. Its sit roughly 1 bar lower now but I live in a humid area so those in cooler climates should see a big improvement.
Fitting:
Pretty straight forward, with a little help from Race Dynamics it all went together easily. RD is currently updating the installation manual so im sure it will be easier for others in the future. To give you an idea I took some pics as I went along, note the rust on the coil already......spray some protectant on it folks ;) Also to save yourself some time and buy a BASO 9 Pin to USB cable so you can connect it your laptop if it doenst have the 9 Pin outlet.I got mine from a local PC store cost $38AU

Software:
Havent had too much exposure with it yet so I cant comment on this, hopefully their will be some Tuning for Dummies Guides released over the coming months =D
Shipping:
SUPER FAST! Its not an indication of how quick it will always be but I had mine within 5 days, brilliant service.
Customer Support:
I cant say enough about it, this company is brilliant for answering back and offering their support. I dont know of any other company that is prepared to help write a map for you free of charge so they can ensure your happy with their product.
Cost vs Value:
In my opinion comletely worth it, its instant satisfaction in a box. Im glad I didnt go with another Company as RD has impressed me on all levels.

Once I have installed the filter and exhaust I will report back but Im expecting even better results.

#25 ·
Paid on last Tuesday, arrived on Saturday, but my office is closed ... so i called up TNT and they resend on Monday morning.

Installed it on Tuesday and i just got to ride it nearby to buy a pack of ciggy ... i think i did not load the software ... it gone worse .. i got stuck in 2 traffic light due to engine went kaput ... the sickness i got when i installed K&N and Akra/aftermarket exhaust.

Just manage to load the software ... and it's already 2am here .. so i dont want to wake up the neighbourhood.

I wish it comes with DUMMIES instruction on the R-Tune software as i have totally no idea whats what ... though i have read the T-Tune Penta instruction ... i hope i can escae from from tomorrow noon... so that i can have it figure it out the whole afternoon tomorrow ... finger crossed ...

Installation is a no brainer ... easy ...
Support ... i have yet to send some email asking for dummies on R-Tune ...
Package... totally look and feel expensive ... mine comes with Bafo USB to Serial comm kit ... this RaceDynamic is 1 hella serious R&D hooligan !

#28 ·
Its just plug and play mate, theres no need to hook it up through RTune unless your going to tweak the map.

If you are going to tweak it you pull the data from the bike which is its current map, then you change your INJ-IGN etc setting and once done Save As with a different name.
I will hopefully be spending some time with it over the coming week/weeks depending on work.

Contact the lads at RD and ask for the base map as you may have deleted it or something.

#29 ·
Chetan from RD called and asked about my problem ... he and his hooligan team will cook out a recipe for me anytime soon... this is what we call ...
value added services and i'm glad i bought PowerTronics ...

the hiccup im experiencing is due to ... it was mean for a stock bike ... :p
mine is a modded bike and thus the engine stalled several times when gear are changing is normal .... as per my stock ECU .. i'm having the same hiccups....

waiting for the new maps ........:D:D:D

#30 ·
The guys are solid performers, Im still super happy with the purchase and still smile everytime I roll the throttle. For them to call you now thats service, keep at it RD!!!

Now Ive made my actual pipe selection I am going to contact them to get some help with the map to suit. Im still unsure exactly what to change where and why for what, but Im slowly understanding the changes they have already made.
I know my altitudes are all over the show, its ranges from 18m to 800m in the space of roughly 30 to 50km so unsure how this will affect it.
GPR Powercone
DNA Airfilter
RON 95
Once I have a base map to suit I can then start setting up my own for street, twisties, track, wet, touring. It would be great to have a flickable switch on the bar!
I also want to discuss the O2 controller option, the open/closed loop is still clunky down low on the revs and I want to clean this up so Im getting better roll on/off especially through corners. I began speaking to the person who makes the 690 O2 controller to see if I could clean it up via RTune or use his contoller but in the reply the RD boys gave it seems they have one already.

These guys are like Batman only their spotlight is a word, type in PowerTRONIC and they appear :D

#31 ·
darn !!! your as SICK as me !;) (It would be great to have a flickable switch on the bar!) i had the same idea too ... 1 flick and i'm on attacking twisties mode ... :D:D:D

ok ok hold our horses ... i'm staring at my bike whole day but darn i need to cleanup my work b4 i start to ride on the default setting ... for now ..
i'm anticipated on what's cooking in RD for me ! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

by the way ... why are u using RON95 ? by all means go 97 or higher ! ;)
i really don't mind running rich on gas ... so long i can taste every bits of horsie on 8k ~ 11k ! ... i have no comment on torque ... need to trim abit due to twisties hate gear dropping ... rear will lose traction due to engine braking ... even with my rosso II ... darn ..

do u eva think of investing a quickshifter ??? i dream of it yesterday nite ..ouch ! ;):D:D:D

#32 ·
I run 95 because its recommended in the manual or 91 if 95 is not available. From what Ive learnt over time is when you play with fuel you also need to consider whether you are causing carbon build up from to low a fuel/spark plug or pitting pistons etc due to having to much heat from higher explosion temp. Its a balance and you shouldnt really change one without changing the other variables otherwise your just wearing parts needlessly.
Track use Id consider working out the advantages but for the road not much point when the speed limits are what they are and "heavily" enforced.

#35 ·
You guys in the U.S are going to have to work out whats safe and what isnt. Ive read a few of the RC8 guys having issues with the plastic tanks due to that Ethenol crap they put in your fuel. I think it was fixed but I do know most try to stay away from it.
Ya'll need to put the area of the world your in under your names so I can pass links on in your area, its only you Merican's that dont have it :D

#43 ·
pretty interested in getting one of these for the better throttle response and cooling. the 390 seems to struggle to stay cool in the peak of an aussie summer.

how easy would it be for someone like me who has no idea about ecu's and is pretty new to the world of bikes in general to install and tune?

#44 ·
Super easy, Ive put pictures in here where the connections go and a quick how to. Its plug and play so when you order one you can tell them if its bone stock or what mods you have done. They will pre-load the map for you so you dont need to touch the Tuning software at all.
Cooling has dropped a little but once my Engine Ice arrives im expecting to drop another bar so that should keep it around 3/4 mark all the time.
If you do get one and are unsure about anything just ask, happy to help anyone ;)