KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 16 model.... and at first I thought I had an issue were my horn wasn't working... I had a look at it and after some unsuccessful troubleshooting I couldn't figure it out... A few days later I go and test it and for some reason it works again. Below is what I did for testing:

1. Checked the fuse
2. Inspected the switch for damage (none seen)
3. Used a multimeter to test for power (Everything seemed well enough))))

At this point I was ready to just apply power directly to the horn to rule out a failure of the horn but it went away and started working again.

What is a likely hood that the switch is bad? Has anyone else had this issue? Is this a separately sold piece? or do I have to purchase the entire control? If so is anyone parting out a bike lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My far from professional opinion is (and if I understand your post correctly) : if you had power at the horn when pressing the button and it didn’t sound, it’s not the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have a 16 model.... and at first I thought I had an issue were my horn wasn't working... I had a look at it and after some unsuccessful troubleshooting I couldn't figure it out... A few days later I go and test it and for some reason it works again. Below is what I did for testing:

1. Checked the fuse
2. Inspected the switch for damage (none seen)
3. Used a multimeter to test for power (Everything seemed well enough))))

At this point I was ready to just apply power directly to the horn to rule out a failure of the horn but it went away and started working again.

What is a likely hood that the switch is bad? Has anyone else had this issue? Is this a separately sold piece? or do I have to purchase the entire control? If so is anyone parting out a bike lol.

Yes 2016 model, brand new motorcycle and the horn does not work.
Working at it. Fingers crossed🤞

·
Registered
795 Posts
The switch, if faulty, is a goner, it's a contactless switch assembly. You have to replace the entire switchgear even if one of it goes for a toss. What I would suggest, undo the switchgear from the bike remove pry open the switchgear (very, very carefully) use sandpaper the pin touch points and some WD 40 along, see if it solves the issue. Sometimes factory electrical grease can interfere with the switches and make them work intermittently. It's not the switch that's at fault, it's probably excess di-electric grease.

Hope it helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts