KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

Problems that KTM duke faces regularly,Duke issues

187K views 123 replies 42 participants last post by  KTMasean 
#1 ·
1.Engine heat is a problem in KTM bikes.But its normal in any high performance liquid cooled bike.It is felt when the radiator fan switches on.
2.Leak in coolant-In some dukes,coolant gets leaked and needs to be top up within small kms.
3.Chain slapping the swingarm-While driving on Indian roads,chains are mostly getting badly loosen causing uncomfortable riding conditions.
4.Before first run-in, Engine seizures occur in dukes-This happens to people who do not run their machines properly.Engines gets badly affected by it.On its warranty time,if any engine seizures occur,company will replace it with a newer engine.
5.Feels Hard seats for some riders-Some riders complaints that the seat seems to be bit harder and they don’t get couch-like comfort.This is mainly complainted by the riders who sits in their office on their bums in the chairs.
6.Gear stuck with Neutrals-When a upshift or downshift from first to second gear or vice versa occurs,gear gets stucked with neutral.This problem is found in Hero Honda karizma ZMR too.If this problem occurs between gears check the linkage of the gear shift.
7.Another major problem is that bike sound like a tractor.At first time we will be quite disappointed about the sound of KTM bikes.Sounds of many v-twins especially those do duty on the Ducatis and the KTMs are same.But we will be addicted to the sound after long rides.
These are the major problems owners have with duke.And these are not that much large issues because these issues can be solved by the proper servicing and handling of vehicle.

Source::cool: - See more at: Problems that KTM duke faces regularly,Duke issues - MaDrives | MaDrives

See less See more
#2 ·
Is KTM carrying out a non-publicized recall of the Duke 390?

KTM India could be carrying out a non-publicized recall on the recently launched Duke 390 motorcycle. Team-Bhpian SriramV.Iyer and one of the first owners of the KTM Duke 390 in Bangalore has been notified of a parts replacement exercise on his motorcycle by a local KTM dealer.

The parts that will be replaced free of cost to the customer through this exercise are the fan assembly and rotor parts. While "fan assembly" refers to the cooling fan that is designed to work with the liquid cooled module of the 373 cc single cylinder engine, rotor parts could have to do with the disc brake assembly of the motorcycle. The "product replacement exercise" is said to take 2-3 hours.

Notably, there have been reports that pre-production variants of the Duke 390 were heating up quite a bit in traffic crawl situations, a problem that is common to larger engined, liquid cooled motorcycles. In that light, it remains to be seen if the fan assembly recall/part replacement exercise is a move to allay this particular issue.

We're yet to receive official notification from Bajaj Auto/KTM India regarding the parts replacement exercise. In the past as well, Bajaj Auto, like many other Indian automobile manufacturers, had chosen to couch a product recall with a term as ambiguous as "quality improvement". Don't be surprised if a similar story pans out with the purported KTM Duke 390 recall as well.

The KTM Duke 390, launched earlier this year, is the most powerful made-in-India motorcycle, with a 43 Bhp-35 Nm output from its 373 cc single cylinder petrol engine. The motorcycle is built at Bajaj Auto's Chakan factory, with heavy localization. Apart from selling the Duke 390 India, KTM exports the motorcycle to countries around the world.

Therefore, the parts replacement exercise that KTM is carrying out might have global ramifications if exports have begun in a significant way. In India, KTM has just begun delivering the Duke 390. So, the recall exercise is expected to cover only a handful of motorcycles. The latest versions of the Duke 390 rolling out of Chakan are expected to already feature the improved parts.

Source: :) Is KTM carrying out a non-publicized recall of the Duke 390? | Team-BHP

#4 ·
I have issues with my temperature guage not working, it basically works when it feels like it. Bike is going back a second time to see if they can fix this issue.

The fuel guage was showing me empty and a range of 1,2km left just a second before I took this picture, I got worried and stopped to fill up... when I opened the tank I could see the fuel in there so for interest sake topped it up and it only took 4 liters.

The fuel guage on these bikes is useless.

I had also loads of rattles under the tank as well but the dealership sorted all that out on the first service, they wrapped all the wires and whatever could rattle.
It now looks a lot neater in there and not a mess like it comes out of the factory.

Attachments

#5 ·
I've not had any issues. I don't know if the Singapore delivered KTM's are subject to an Austrian QC but I think the local dealer is aware of some issues and sorts them out pre delivery. He did mention "there may be an issue with the fan" but nada so far. I've just completed my first 1000km service and run in.

#6 ·
Im up to 4000k and zero issues, some here in aus have had the gear issue as well as the display glitching but other than that no problems. Ive mentioned it before but I think the temp sensor is half the issue regarding the heat gauge and after some further digging im starting to believe the radiator core is possibly to thin. Im going to go discuss this with some radiator techs to get their feedback and see if its worth having a new one made from lighter/better material.

#7 ·
When you say display glitching, mine has been glitchy too like it will go through its startup sequence while idling waiting at a traffic light.
It looks as if I have turned on the ignition while sitting there... I think it could be a short circuit somewhere.

#24 ·
A few issues:

Front Brakes - Soft, spongy, lack bite
Back Brakes - get the ABS going instantly

Chain & Front Sprocket - Shifty quality with constant maintenance required

Fuelling - Spotty and goes off on a whim

Paint quality on the Rims is abysmal

Verdict - Obvious cost cutting and lack of real world testing. Using the early buyers as Guinea pigs and hoping there aren't too many protests/accidents and no Warrants from the courts.

Cummon KTM/Bajaj, work with us. Help alleviate the tension of a broken rim, a stall going into a corner, a soggy front stopper. Smoothen out our ride and instill some confidence in your brand.

Love your work though. :D

#25 · (Edited)
Re the front brake issue... check you're not getting low on fluid (and haven't sucked air into the line) - I checked mine the other day and it was below the window after 2300km (new pads, low fluid level initially from factory perhaps - the pads wear in quick and hence the pistons go in a long way using a lot of fluid - not a fault but something to watch).

#28 ·
Are there any uk bikes out their having dash problems on the 390. Had the bike two weeks now just done 260 miles coming home this morning fuel gauge went into f trip 30 miles left no problem I thought, 1mile down the road 22 miles left, 3 further miles down the road 0 miles left. Problem was i was 5 miles from filling station. I made it filled her up 9 litres later a full tank but the fuel gauge has not come back it still shows no miles with the warning light still flashing. Yes I also have the annoying vibrations I have read about on the site and will be asking the dealer to sort out. I Do hope they dont have to change the dash.

#30 ·
Thx for that ive had a quick fiddle under the tank to no joy. I have noticed that on start up the pixels on the fuel gauge do light up then resort back to no fuel so it could be pointing to the fuel sensor on the tank itself fingers crossed.For now I have a full tank and will have to resort to old school and fill up every hundred miles until sorted.

#33 ·
Finally 10 miles after filling up and 1 mile away from the dealership it decided to read full tank all back to normal.:). I wll wait with fear for the next fill up. lets hope it was just a sticky float valve. I will get it checked during first service. watch this space for the next fuel stop.:O

#37 ·
Mine seems to do this most of the time , actually the lower the fuel level at the time of filling up seems to worsen the effect . Fill up a half empty tank and the readout seems to be correct instantly where after running on vapor the readout after filling up takes longer .
The Duke tank could have done with a larger capacity and you don't want to try and get across death valley with it that's for sure .

#36 ·
Folks, don't get your knickers in a twist over the fuel gauge. Automobile fuel gauges, which work off a floater in the gas tank, are notoriously inaccurate and non-linear. They are worse on motorbikes. You cannot realistically have the expectation that the fuel gauge will give you an exact representation of the fuel status of your Duke. No way. Instead, zero out your trip 1 meter when you fill up (a 5-second press on the "set" button) and over several consecutive fill-ups, get a sense of the bike's range on a tank of gas. Once you have a typical mileage figure, zero out the trip meter at every pump stop and use the trip meter to inform you about the Duke's fuel status. You will find this far more accurate than the fuel gauge readout, which should be regarded with a pinch of salt. Only in recent years have motorbikes been fitted with electronic fuel gauges - and this has been anything but a great leap forward in reliable information.

#38 ·
Hi Guys,
Can some one help me understand on a issue i am facing with my 2015 D390 Engine 6000 Kms old?

Issue : Oil Seepage. SVC tightened the bolts from top and sent back.
Next day, some stitching noise coming from the engine.

the SVC guys fixed one issue & created a new one..**** frustrated..all this in 4 months of ownership

Unable to identify the issue, does tightening the engine bolts from top reduce any clearance..that something is touching & creating the noise...unable to understand..!!

Helpp..!!

Regards,
Rohan

#39 ·
Hi Rohan,

If they only tightened the valve cover bolts, there should be no clearance issues as it is only a simple cover. However, have you had your first service done yet? The noise may be from a loose valve, which should be addressed then.

When I had ours done, the dealer replaced the cover gasket to prevent any leaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.