KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to take the 390 for a ride today.... I found a puddle of oil under the left front fork! At first I thought it was a brake (fluid) issue but after cleaning everything up and riding around the block it was clear that the left fork is leaking. The bike is 9 months old with 6300km on the clock - never rode dirty roads - always garaged!

I hope this will be covered under guarantee... Anyone else here that had a fork seal issue?? Regards!

·
Super Moderator
1,085 Posts
I have replaced my fork seals on the first Gen 200 after about 40,000 km as the right one started to leak and wetting the brake pads with brake fluid.
This first, 2012, did not come with dust seals.
All good and make sure to bounce the front fork a couple of times before tightening the axle nut in order to align the fork legs correctly.

·
Super Moderator
1,085 Posts
I opted to get the SKF seals (green) instead of the OEM seals but was told afterwards that KTM uses SKF seals as well ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have replaced my fork seals on the first Gen 200 after about 40,000 km as the right one started to leak and wetting the brake pads with brake fluid.
when the fork seals leak, as in your case, do they really wet the front brake pads with brake fluid???
I would have guessed that the pads would’ve been soaked with fork oil. But what do I know, right??

·
Registered
545 Posts
Man that sucks! I daily my 390 and so far I've done close to 30k with no issues to my fork seals. Hoping that holds up for a while.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello,

I had to replace mine (2014) at about 15k km. At that moment I had sintered pads that got soaked with the leaking oil. Fortunately I've managed to recover them by burning this oil and sanding the surface.

RM

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer says it WILL NOT be covered by the 2 yr guarantee... Has anyone here specs on the 2018/19 front forks?? Size of the seal? Amount of oil? Regards!!

·
Super Moderator
1,085 Posts
You are 100% correct in pointing out my wrong statement and yes, I obviously should have written that it was the fork oil (from the left fork leg) soaking the brake pads, not any brake fluid.
Thank you for being so observant Whyzee, much appreciated.

when the fork seals leak, as in your case, do they really wet the front brake pads with brake fluid???
I would have guessed that the pads would’ve been soaked with fork oil. But what do I know, right??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts