KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered an Admore light bar to install on my 2019 Duke 390. Install went well until it came to test the brake light flasher function. It only lit up the light bar 'brake' 1/3 to 1/2 of the time I hit the brake lever (stock brake light still lights up every time).

I powered the light bar from the switched accessory plug under the seat. The tail light & signal functions work perfectly.

I contacted the company and they suggested connecting the red & black wires directly to the battery temporarily to see if I still had issues with the brake light. Sure enough it works 100% when getting power directly from the battery. The company is telling me it is because the accessory power ports on KTMs don't output a 'pure' 12V and pulse width modulation (PWM) on the accessory circuit is causing this issue.

Does anyone know if there is a non-PWM switched 12V power source I can tap into? Otherwise I'm going to have to look into installing a relay or fuse block so I can get power directly from the battery but switched with the bike key.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The output under the seat is "12V", actually up to about 14V. That is normal in vehicles.
And the power has lots of voltage spikes when the engine is running. That is also normal in vehicles.
Any electronic device which uses the vehicle power must filter the input to have a cleaner power supply. That should be the job of the developers for any devices which are used in vehicles. It's shouldn't be your job to correct what others did wrong.
When I used an Arduino on that power connection I had to add some capacitors to filter the power. You could try that but probably there are ready made filters available.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any electronic device which uses the vehicle power must filter the input to have a cleaner power supply. That should be the job of the developers for any devices which are used in vehicles. It's shouldn't be your job to correct what others did wrong.
I understand this but can you explain why it works when it is connected directly to the battery?

By the way the engine wasn't running during my testing I just had the key turned to 'on'.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I understand this but can you explain why it works when it is connected directly to the battery?

By the way the engine wasn't running during my testing I just had the key turned to 'on'.
The battery is like a BIG capacitor. You will measure a lot less spikes directly at the battery compared to any cable which is (far) away from the battery.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered an Eastern Beaver 3CS relay kit so I can power the light bar 'directly' from the battery, will probably take a few weeks to arrive. It is smaller and easier to cram in than any other fuse block type solution. Will share my results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts