KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, great to see the thread full of very good insightful stuff. Happy to have gotten Duked by the 390. Secondly, having been gone through threads pretty much on a speed-post basis, but keen on the topics, just have some clarifications and some thoughts.

Firstly, I've seen so many folks talk about Duke 125/200/390 all share most of the parts, and of course which it is. But recently when stumbled upon a SVC manager here in my hometown (only gripe being 100 one way to get to the nearest ASS) his reply was the Duke 390s rear shock was directly imported from Austria whereas that of 200 was in all totally manufactured in India. Whereas some parts of the Duke 390 were still being imported from Austria.

Now he wasn't really inclined and seemed apprehensive to mention which of these were imported and which weren't, it was quite a quick briefing session with the chap.

But this leads me to another question about the QC here in India and Austria and for that matter Malaysia. Has anyone had any experience with dealing with the 390s made in these respective countries and if yes, have you found out any significant difference between the build quality (not the components) but visually, the apparent quality?

And secondly can anyone throw some light some light as to how and what issues are faced by Spain, AU, and UK (EU -- which should be QCd by Austria) compared to Asian stuff, how does riders here (EU) fare with issues like leaks, busted gaskets etc.

Forgive me for beating a dead horse, but I think the bits and pieces are all spread over many threads here in our forum, would love to get a concise and in-the-know fact thoughts from you guys. Thoughts highly appreciated. :)

Cheers!
VJ :cool:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i haven't seen anything too concerning so far thankfully and so far it seems like we shouldn't be too worried about what build quality will turn out to be like

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i haven't seen anything too concerning so far thankfully and so far it seems like we shouldn't be too worried about what build quality will turn out to be like
Indeed, not a comparison per se, but would love to know the issues faced by the EU vs AS counterparts. Thanks again, bud. :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Only quality issue ito of parts I have had on my duke is an indicator light with moisture in it, the rest seems pretty solid, but then again it is still new. There is minor over spray from the frame - I suspect some touch up perhaps, but it is really minuscule and unless you are actually 'inspecting' the bike you will not notice the little orange 'flakes' on some of the engine covers. So overall the quality seems to be top notch.

I think the SA bikes are imported from- or possibly sourced from the India market. Could be wrong though, been known to happen.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only quality issue ito of parts I have had on my duke is an indicator light with moisture in it, the rest seems pretty solid, but then again it is still new. There is minor over spray from the frame - I suspect some touch up perhaps, but it is really minuscule and unless you are actually 'inspecting' the bike you will not notice the little orange 'flakes' on some of the engine covers. So overall the quality seems to be top notch.

I think the SA bikes are imported from- or possibly sourced from the India market. Could be wrong though, been known to happen.
Thanks for the heads up, Swannie. Just curious, yes though the bike's quality is top notch, really wanted to get some sense as to how it fared elsewhere. And you're right Bajaj's products, or at least 80% of their portfolio does indeed is being assembled in South American countries, Colombia etc, and the Pulsar 220 has a crazy following there, so yes, with this in mind, as you've mentioned one can say the Dukes can/might/could be shipped from India.

Thanks again.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, Swannie. Just curious, yes though the bike's quality is top notch, really wanted to get some sense as to how it fared elsewhere. And you're right Bajaj's products, or at least 80% of their portfolio does indeed is being assembled in South American countries, Colombia etc, and the Pulsar 220 has a crazy following there, so yes, with this in mind, as you've mentioned one can say the Dukes can/might/could be shipped from India.

Thanks again.

Cheers!
Hi there welcome to the thread. i have found so many flaws in terms of quality control with picture as evidence. All 390 and 200 all completely manufactured in india to the best of my knowledge. why would bajaj import some of its spares from Austria ? when they are in the motorcycle market for so long, and does it really make sense to import and assemble here and sell it for dirt price compared to all the other countries they supply export to ? very soon i will be doing my complete chassis strip and rebuild all by my self ( there's reason behind this).

A simple example example between pulsar 200NS and D390 place them side by side and see the finishing in the home bred product of Bajaj. compare each and everything chassis , paint job, fairings, rims i mean everything.

All i can say is the QC standard for the export stock is completely different compared to the home stock for sure. if you ever get a chance to compare a D125 which is completely made in Austria compare that one with the D390 home made.

There's lot more.... cheers! enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there welcome to the thread. i have found so many flaws in terms of quality control with picture as evidence. All 390 and 200 all completely manufactured in india to the best of my knowledge. why would Bajaj import some of its spares from Austria ? when they are in the motorcycle market for so long, and does it really make sense to import and assemble here and sell it for dirt price compared to all the other countries they supply export to ? very soon i will be doing my complete chassis strip and rebuild all by my self ( there's reason behind this).

A simple example example between pulsar 200NS and D390 place them side by side and see the finishing in the home bred product of Bajaj. compare each and everything chassis , paint job, fairings, rims i mean everything.

All i can say is the QC standard for the export stock is completely different compared to the home stock for sure. if you ever get a chance to compare a D125 which is completely made in Austria compare that one with the D390 home made.

There's lot more.... cheers! enjoy the ride.
Thanks for pouring in your thoughts. The conversation between me and the SVC manager was quite a brief 25 to 30 min talk, and apparently your point as to "why would Bajaj import the springs" for the 390 is the same I pondered upon too. Secondly this guy happens to visit the Chakkan plant where the Dukes are all assembled -- for training and stuff, and this is how his insight was helpful to some of my questions.

He still says, some of the bike's engine internals are still being imported from Austria for the 390 and the rear spring for example, but every single component of the Duke 200 is 100% manufactured in India. It was quite a head-scratch moment for me, as to why this is done.

Indeed in the showroom where I picked up the bike there were, RC1118, KTM SX 250. And lots of 200s and quite a few 390s and apparently one 390 was placed right next to the SX250 which of course was not for sale. But yes though the quality was apparent, apart from the SIZE BIG of the other bikes, personally I found it amusing to see, apart from the Indian made BYBRE caliper most of the parts finish and quality were similar at least to my gawky eye. :eek:

But when issues like the blown head gasket and blown fork seals pop up, it really gets my eye. But happy to see nothing major happened with the bike, while all these re doable and livable, would love to know how it fares with QCd bikes in Austria, and still people have reported some minor glitches regarding the same.

But I guess it's all part and parcel of any new mass produced package. ;)

Cheers!
VJ

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi. interesting topic you brought. I'm from Colombia and I see you're aware of what's going on down here.

Here we got the CBU from India and then bikes are assembled in a plant in Medellin. I follow forums here and in Spain so I can tell you a couple of things about quality issues here and there.

First of all, I'm the worst example you may find for Colombia because according to local forums just another guy and I have had issues. In my case it came with fueling problems that they only figured out one month later. After that it lost braking power so a bleeding was needed with less than 1k kilometers.

I’ve already filed a claim asking for my money back. Don’t get me wrong, I still love how the bike performs but coming from a couple of Hondas you can imagine how disappointed I am with bike’s reliability.

As for Spain, there are dozens of issues reported, most related to:
- Hot start issues
- Oil leaks
- Front sprocket seal issues.

It seems the first batches came with several problems in spite of the fact that those were “quality checked” in Austria.

Apparently they sorted out some issues for Colombian production as no “Hot start issues” have been reported here.

My take about this is that KTM doesn’t invest that much time and resources on testing before launching compared to brands like Honda or Yamaha and that’s one of the reasons they can sell cheap and launch fast.

Finally, you can easily see low displacement KTMs are half bajaj. If you have a detailed look you’ll find dozens of parts labeled with the bajaj brand. Not really good for me I have to say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts