KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am hoping to buy a KTM Duke 390 as a first bike for myself. I figured it would be a good choice since I live in the city and don't really need to take it on the highway. My only issue is the bikes size. I myself am 6'2 (186 cm) and I don't really want to look stupid on a small bike (not sure if I would though) :) Do any of you guys with the same height own this bike? What are your experiences?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Your best bet really is to go to a dealer and sit on one, and see what you think.

In the UK bike dealers are now open, not sure how it is where you are?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your best bet really is to go to a dealer and sit on one, and see what you think.

I live in Hungary and I had the chance to take a duke for a spin. It felt comfortable, nevertheless I don't have much experiance with other bikes :) Don't know if I looked weird though :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm 190 cm and fit fine, the ergos are okay for a tall person (as opposed to several other small bikes). That is, as long as we're talking about Gen2 bikes (2017+), I couldn't fit my knees in the cutouts of the tank on a Gen1.

As for whether you'll look stupid, I honestly never cared, I ride for myself, not to impress other people. The seat in Gen2 bikes is pretty tall so you don't ride with your knees under your chin or in an otherwise contorted position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 190 cm and fit fine, the ergos are okay for a tall person (as opposed to several other small bikes). That is, as long as we're talking about Gen2 bikes (2017+), I couldn't fit my knees in the cutouts of the tank on a Gen1.

As for whether you'll look stupid, I honestly never cared, I ride for myself, not to impress other people. The seat in Gen2 bikes is pretty tall so you don't ride with your knees under your chin or in an otherwise contorted position.
Thank you for the reply!

·
Registered
653 Posts
For reference l am 167cm and the seat is quite tall for me, l can only get my toes on the ground.
I bought the KTM lowering kit but never fitted it, as l became more confident with the bike and now l just put one foot down when l stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OP: here is a link to a review with some photos of a 193 cm tall rider on it. Hope that helps. :)

My $0.02: I'm 175 cm tall with an 81 cm inseam and when I catch a glimpse of myself riding by a storefront window, I always feel like the bike makes me appear ever so slightly bigger than I actually am (I like this but I'm not tall by US standards). Compared to other bikes I've ridden, I'd say that the 390 Duke's pegs are fairly sporty, i.e. higher and further back than many other naked sport bikes. Could maybe be uncomfortable for people with really long legs during long rides.

The handlebar location isn't quite as sporty as the peg placement imo. I have noticed that the seat is long enough that I can move my butt backwards and forwards a fair bit to alter the riding posture.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am 6’2” tall and feel that the bike is fine for me. I have the PowerParts seat which adds 3/8” height I think. Don’t really notice as it felt really similar to stock seat.
there isn’t a motorcycle built that I haven’t been able to sit on and have both of my feet flat on the ground. Dirt bikes included.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Revzilla did a review with Spurgeon (over 6 feet) riding the 390 Duke, read their review with video and pictures of him on the bike:

Now, don't forget, 390 Duke is a small motorcycle. It's just the fact, and nothing can change that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

I am hoping to buy a KTM Duke 390 as a first bike for myself. I figured it would be a good choice since I live in the city and don't really need to take it on the highway. My only issue is the bikes size. I myself am 6'2 (186 cm) and I don't really want to look stupid on a small bike (not sure if I would though) :) Do any of you guys with the same height own this bike? What are your experiences?

hi, I’m 6ft and perfectly ok on mine. As another member has mentioned go to a dealer and have a sit on one and ask them to take some photos of you?
cheers.

·
Registered
567 Posts
6'2" here and I have no complaints. It doesn't feel small when I'm on it and I'm not cramped.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I absolutely LOVE the bike and I am 6 feet tall....but I am sick and tired of people commenting about my SMALL, LITTLE bike!....several times since I bought it in October I have thought about trading it for a Ninja 650 which also has an upright seating position even though it looks like a sport bike, crotch rocket....LOL....the bike is fast, powerful and perfect for around town...I have had it on the highway and the wind blast made it hard to hang on....the speed limit was 70 on that highway.....it gets great gas mileage as far as I'm concerned, but I am not an expert on that. The thing about the bike I hate is the seat....it is not comfortable for me at all.....but I don't have much padding on my rear end...there is really no padding or cushion on the seat at all. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I absolutely LOVE the bike and I am 6 feet tall....but I am sick and tired of people commenting about my SMALL, LITTLE bike!....several times since I bought it in October I have thought about trading it for a Ninja 650 which also has an upright seating position even though it looks like a sport bike, crotch rocket....LOL....the bike is fast, powerful and perfect for around town...I have had it on the highway and the wind blast made it hard to hang on....the speed limit was 70 on that highway.....it gets great gas mileage as far as I'm concerned, but I am not an expert on that. The thing about the bike I hate is the seat....it is not comfortable for me at all.....but I don't have much padding on my rear end...there is really no padding or cushion on the seat at all. Good Luck!
So basically you are willing to sell the bike because people are mocking you?

·
Registered
653 Posts
You can fit the KTM Ergo seat if you’re not getting on with the standard seat. It’s also a bit higher than the standard seat so may be good in two ways for you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The seat on the Duke indeed feels like a wooden plank. It's good for aggressive riding since it lets you feel more feedback through your butt but bad for long rides. Guess it's one of those "ready to race" genes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact same question. Im 193cm (and 83kilos), conscious if I would dwarf the duke 390. So another option for me right now is the new Adventure 390, has better seat height, overall length and width over the duke, however the Duke looks more aggressive. So im torn Right now.

·
Registered
454 Posts
That's right better go for the 390 adventure that has also a very very comfortable seat and wind protection.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well im back on getting the Duke. I've been on a 390 Adventure group in facebook and that bike has helluva lot of issues being posted from different countries there. Seat boost (Ergo comfort seat) will increase the height by 20mm right? I think im going that route.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts