KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read somewhere that the r6 shock is a direct swap. i dont imagine that works with all years, since the design can change from one gen to the next. does anyone know which years will swap in?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
If the r6 shock conversion interests you, this will give you all the relevant information. A number of Duke and RC owners have found it a worthwhile low-cost upgrade.

Shock Swap with 99-02 R6

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've got one on the shelf, bought it before I decided to go with Ohlins. $30 plus shipping.

·
Super Moderator
1,430 Posts
The very valued member Diploman has not been on the forum for a while now.
I think he will be riding his other passion MotoGuzzi now so don't expect any reply (on a Jun. 2016 post).

Hi the Link is not working any longer can it be reposted please as i'd like to do this mod on my 2018 model thanks

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke 390
12 Posts
needs a 1.5mm spacer either side on the bottom link and and adaptor for the bolt on the top mount, pretty easy swap

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been reading up on the R6 shock swap and am looking for some advice - there is some great information here and on the RC390 forum thread.

I found an R6 shock 10' away and picked it up the other day - the spring is now removed and the shock looks to be in good condition. A few questions...

How can I replace the rubber bumper on the shaft? It is cracked and should be replaced.
If I was to replace the ramp preload adjuster with the RaceTech threaded version, how do I pull it off? I cannot slide it off over the rebound adjuster. Probably the same answer as previous question.
I found these on Ebay: Faulkner's Suspension Coilover. At 7" * 2.25" ID, these look to be a direct fit.

I weigh in at just over 200lbs (usually closer to 190lbs) and imagine I would add about 20-30lbs with gear and load on bike. Am I right that 12.5kg/mm (700lbs/inch) would be about right?

Thanks for any assistance - I am not much for forum posting... more of a reader, so I am a bit out of my element here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update ('99 R6 shock):
650lb spring (11.5kg/mm), replacement bumper and reservoir cap ordered. Shock disassembly in progress. Nitrogen released and oil drained.

Problem:
Seal head stuck! I cannot get it to move down to expose the circlip (I can see it, but...). Any suggestions? I have a tool on it and I have tried some penetrating oil to help unstick it. Next step will be heat hoping that some thermal expansion may help.

Thanks for any help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts