KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 390 duke with about 9100km on the clock. Today I ran out of fuel for the first time, and the bike acted a bit odd IMO. Once I ran out and lost power, the bike wouldn’t let me freely shift gears. At first, it wouldn’t let me shift beyond 3rd or 4th (even with clutch in); I pulled over, turned the bike off then back on and was able to make it maybe another 200m before it cut out again and wouldn’t let me shift Like before. When I pulled off and stopped the second time, I tried shifting through the gears without the engine running, and I could only shift up to 3rd, at which point, the gear indicator cut out and it wouldn’t let me go any higher.
Is it normal for the transmission to act like this? Or is something wrong? Maybe I’m just a noob I dunno, it’s my first bike. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
653 Posts
There’s no electrical device in the gearbox that could physically stop you from changing gear, it’s just a mechanical unit.
However the electronics could I guess cut the ignition to stop you from actually accelerating in the gears once selected.

ls the bike OK now that you put some fuel in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There’s no electrical device in the gearbox that could physically stop you from changing gear, it’s just a mechanical unit.
However the electronics could I guess cut the ignition to stop you from actually accelerating in the gears once selected.

ls the bike OK now that you put some fuel in?
Ya, once I put fuel in it, it seemed to run completely fine. Not really sure what was going on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you happen to see how far you got out of that tank of fuel? I think there is way more left in the tank when it tells you it’s out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you happen to see how far you got out of that tank of fuel? I think there is way more left in the tank when it tells you it’s out.
It was just over 300 km. The low fuel warning had been on for quite a while.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can't normally change through the gears in any motorcycle without the chain rotating. This is completely normal. Try it, you can get all the way up to 6 but you'll have to rock the bike back and forth to load up the sprocket. When your gear indicator went blank it was just between gears and couldn't quite get into the next gear up. If you had have rocked the bike back and forth you would have made it. It's why you should usually change all the way down before you stop because if you coast along with the clutch in and then pull up to a stop in a higher gear then you might not be able to click down the 1st.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can't normally change through the gears in any motorcycle without the chain rotating. This is completely normal. Try it, you can get all the way up to 6 but you'll have to rock the bike back and forth to load up the sprocket. When your gear indicator went blank it was just between gears and couldn't quite get into the next gear up. If you had have rocked the bike back and forth you would have made it. It's why you should usually change all the way down before you stop because if you coast along with the clutch in and then pull up to a stop in a higher gear then you might not be able to click down the 1st.
Awesome thanks, I’ll try it out!

2 Posts
My bike acted WEIRD when i got low on gas. Under acceleration or braking hard it cut the engine HARD, i would assume when it was momentarily starved of fuel. I figured i had a half gallon left.

I wont try pushing my luck again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts