KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first time poster here!

So I've been having some issues with my duke 390. While riding I will sometimes lose engine power for like 1-2 seconds, xausing a kind of lurch due to engine braking (i assume). Other times it will completely lose power, requiring me to pull over and start her back up (sometimes first try, sometimes after a couple minutes of rest). Also (I don't know if its associated or not) my speedometer will cut in and out, sometimes reading my actual mph and sometimes just showing '0' mph.

I am going to check my gas tank vent and kickstand engine toggle switch thing (though I think the kickstand indicator on the dashwould alert me if that was a problem, am I correct?), but if anyone else had any further advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
check your battery connections and earth connections to see if any are loose, and check all other wiring connections too

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
Welcome, AITschmidt,

Not very likely but the side-stand cut switch is very sensitive.
It might be that the distance between the magnet bolt and the switch is too far.
When you ride over a small bump or such en-route the side-stand might just drop enough to kill the engine.
To resolve, undo the copper magnet bolt, fir a small ring and fit it again (with some lock-tight) and take care not to over-torque this fragile bolt.
This was an often occurring issue on earlier Dukes.
Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm having an issue very very similar. Strated with 0mph reading for a few seconds, now I seem to lose throttle for a second or two and the engine braking makes bike jerk. This is at 35mph and 70mph, on smooth maintained rpm.

Haven't lost power completely. Doubt it is the kickstand, no bumps involved

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having an issue very very similar. Strated with 0mph reading for a few seconds, now I seem to lose throttle for a second or two and the engine braking makes bike jerk. This is at 35mph and 70mph, on smooth maintained rpm.

Haven't lost power completely. Doubt it is the kickstand, no bumps involved

Any ideas?
Did you happen to figure out what yours was I have the same issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm still working on mine. Bike turns off throughout the ride sometimes, I'm able to turn her on while moving
I'm guessing the problem is either fuel/air delivery (kinda stalling) or electrical. I bought a new battery and will check fuses and some connections.
I may buy a new air filter, fuel filter and possibly spark plug. Pretty stumped tho

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm still working on mine. Bike turns off throughout the ride sometimes, I'm able to turn her on while moving
I'm guessing the problem is either fuel/air delivery (kinda stalling) or electrical. I bought a new battery and will check fuses and some connections.
I may buy a new air filter, fuel filter and possibly spark plug. Pretty stumped tho
Do you have a tuner at all?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts