KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed one of these units on my 2019 Duke 390.
I am posting this as l could not find any posts where people had fitted this device and were still actually using the bike.

Either they had since sold the bike, or removed the unit to install the Rapid Bike Evo, or had the pre 2017 Duke.

So....it took an hour and a half to fit it, as l wanted to route the wire into the tailpiece where l fitted the module.
I fed the wire under the tank, round the side of the battery with the main harness, and under the relays beneath the seat.
This involved removing the LHS front plastic bodywork and the bracket holding the tank at the rear (to get the wire behind)

I went for a ride and the low RPM running of the bike is transformed. The bike will now drive at 5mph in first gear without slipping the clutch. It will go below 10mph in second gear with no snatching from the transmission at all.
In third gear it will drive down to below 15mph again with no transmission snatch.

The rest of the running feels as before, at higher speeds it feels the same. I did about 15 miles.

l will report back when l have ridden the bike further.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's good to hear, I've been considering either the Easy or the Evo for my 2019 Duke, with the purpose of smoothing out the low speed response. If the Easy unit does it well, I might just save some money.
I hear there are dials to set, what are your settings? Are you running the stock exhaust?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Got one on my 2017 bike. Been on a year and very happy with the low speed running.
Riding through a car par or manoeuvring was tricky before, having to slip the clutch to stop the bike jerking about. Spot on now :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have today done a 25 mile ride through mainly heavy city traffic to buy a new helmet
Went with a budget of £2-300 but came out with a £500 Arai
But that’s another story.

RBE has made this bike a joy to ride in traffic. I still use the clutch sometimes but the bike will basically now go down to 3,000rpm in any gear and drive without having to use the clutch.

That’s around 5/10/15/20mph in 1/2/3/4 gear.
In the higher gears minimum speed is dictated by the minimum useable RPM of the single cylinder motor rather than fuelling.
So around 25mph in fifth and just over 30mph in sixth.

Not that you’d really be doing these speeds (you’d change down a gear) but it will do it.

But the main thing is, the improved low speed running. Unless they do something to improve the engine’s low speed fuelling at the first service (my bike has only 300 miles from new) l would say that this device should pretty much be the first thing that you buy after getting the bike.

I will update as l ride the bike more.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good to hear, I've been considering either the Easy or the Evo for my 2019 Duke, with the purpose of smoothing out the low speed response. If the Easy unit does it well, I might just save some money.
I hear there are dials to set, what are your settings? Are you running the stock exhaust?
The bike is completely stock.

The instructions tell you what to set the two dials at, so l just set them at those positions.

It also improves the fairly severe on/off throttle response at slow speeds.

If you just want to improve the running of the bike as l detailed above then l
can say that it’s transformed the bike.

You can do a lot more with the Evo version but all l wanted was a bike that l could ride easily in traffic.
I’m happy with the performance as standard.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m surprised at the lack of interest in this modification....it transformed the bike’s running in the city.

I have a feeling that the poor low rpm fuelling is to do with emissions laws in the UK, and other markets (such as the USA) May have different ECU mapping so they run better.

Few people in the USA (and there’s plenty on here) have mentioned any issue with low speed running, also a fair few owners are from India and none of them have mentioned it either.

·
Registered
201 Posts
its a great mod, as is the Evo and Race modules from the same people, and the PCV and the other ones like this.

They are all popular.

However, that's why this thread isn't going too far. Its all been said and done many times over. :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I searched at length and could find nothing regarding the 2017 onward Duke 390

There was one guy who had fitted the device, but then sold the bike. Another had gone into the operation of the unit at length and posted the fuel ratios etc
But l couldn’t find anybody who was actually using a bike with one fitted.

Surprisingly there’s not much written about low speed fuelling issues on the 2017 onward model. None of the reviews mention it at all.
I assume it’s just accepted that you need to keep the revs up on a bike like this, to get around emissions derived issues.

I will keep reporting on how my bike performs with the Rapid Bike Easy fitted. At the moment it’s free from the low speed transmission snatching that l had before.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It's fairly good unit for the price, if the goal is to do mild modifications and help with the low end fueling I recommend it. The 17 motor isn't really different from the 16 motor.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike is still running great with this unit fitted.
I’ve done a fair bit of “urban” riding and have basically forgotten about previously having to use the clutch at low speed.

MPG seems similar to how it was before.

·
Registered
501 Posts
To be honest I’m not entirely sure what the issue is with using the clutch. It’s not as though it’s a heavy clutch such as I have on other bikes.

I have one of these I will be fitting, but for fueling. Until this thread I wasn’t even aware there was an ‘issue’ with the clutch and almost all of my riding on this bike is low speed urban riding in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It turns out l ordered the wrong unit for my bike.
For the 2017 onwards the RBE is a KRBEA2-036
And l accidentally ordered a KRBEA-036 which is for the earlier model of Duke 390.

Although the unit worked, the “check engine” light appeared after 200 miles and l had to disconnect the RBE.

I will get the correct part and then see how that performs.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK so now the manufacturer DIMSPORT has told me either unit will be fine for the 2018 390 Duke.
And if the check engine light continues to appear then l need to turn the fuelling adjustment on the RBE from +2 to +1

If that doesn’t cure it then the next option is to change the setting adjustment to 6 and the fuelling to +3

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any updates on this? I can't decide what to buy. Rapid Bike Easy or a $500+ version of something. I'd rather just spend $200 if it fixes the low throttle choppyness and the weird downshift stalling. Over many years of riding I have developed a habit of blipping the throttle right before downshifting. It seems to help smooth out the downshift but i can't do that on the Duke 390. It stalls almost everytime.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My personal observation of downshifting stalling is that it’s clutch drag from not fully disengaging the clutch. I’ve got some after market levers fitted which seem to make this worse.

·
Registered
201 Posts
agreed on the clutch drag. However, there is still tuning issues on this. I can make it easier to downshift stall if I get it too lean around the idle and lower rpm/low throttle settings. Much like stock.

It was WAY better immediately once I installed the RBEvo and did a bit of off the cuff tuning.

The clutch drag thing is for sure an issue however.

I have tuned that on both ends of the clutch cable and it makes it fully trustworthy. Before, I would get a little not in my stomach whenever I entered a busy intersection.

Reactions: Mirius

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
An update on the Rapid Bike Easy.

I turned the fuelling knob from +2 to +1 and the check engine light has gone out (after another 3 rides)

The bike is running smoother with the unit fitted, performance feels about the same, it’s not designed to improve power, just to make it run smoother at low RPM.

If you want power increase you’ll need the Evo version.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well, l called my insurance to tell them about the extras l fitted to the bike, and they won’t cover the bike at all with Rapid Bike Easy fitted, so l have had to take it off.

If l wanted cover they would have to cancel the policy and try to find another one that would accept it.

So l will have to wait until next year when the policy renews and try then.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, l called my insurance to tell them about the extras l fitted to the bike, and they won’t cover the bike at all with Rapid Bike Easy fitted, so l have had to take it off.

If l wanted cover they would have to cancel the policy and try to find another one that would accept it.

So l will have to wait until next year when the policy renews and try then.

I would call your agent (if you have one). He/she should be able to get your policy switched without having to wait until next year.

You would get the remainder of your current policy refunded (if you paid for a full year) and apply it to the new policy. Out of curiosity, which insurance company are you using?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts