KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts

According to Google is an O2 sensor error. One explanation offered is that the ECU has detected an improper air-fuel ratio.

I have no idea how or if the 390 adjusts for altitude. But if it’s not then the stock map is probably already too rich. You might need a module with a custom map to alter the timing but the issue of course is if you ride lower.

Best chat to the module manufacturer. I’m sure that are already familiar with the issue.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well as much as I can tell do the following:
clean the connector from lambda sensor to the rapid bike EVO ecu and check if stock lambda is properly tighten. If this don't work out:
Go to the dealer and ask him to try for a few days another lambda sensor. if this solves the problem buy a new lambda.
If nothing of the above works, contact rapid bike and tell them to send back the rapid bike ecu for checking.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts
Why not simply take off the RBE and see what happens? If the lights go out, contact RBE and tell them their unit has a problem.
Why fart around with parts that did not present any issues BEFORE the RBE?
My 2 cents (and we don't even have coins here)

·
Registered
789 Posts
After l fitted the more basic “Rapid Bike Easy” unit to my 2019 Duke 390, the check engine light came on after a few rides.
I took the unit off and after a while the light went out.
However the bike was so much smoother (at low RPM) with it fitted, so l emailed the manufacturer
They said to turn the fuelling adjustment (on the RBE) from +2 to +1
Which l did, and the check engine light has stayed off since.
The RBE still works with this adjustment to the settings.
I wonder if any similar adjustments are available on the Evo version.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Why not simply take off the RBE and see what happens? If the lights go out, contact RBE and tell them their unit has a problem.
Why fart around with parts that did not present any issues BEFORE the RBE?
My 2 cents (and we don't even have coins here)

My 2 cents is recalling you being interested in becoming as a distributor for PowerTronic. Trying to diss the biggest competitor and make some sales?

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts
Marius,

Trying to be a distributor of the one brand in Laos and Thailand where this competitor or better alternative supplier is not selling is not taking anything off of my posting on "how to determine what causes the dash led to come on" prognosis, or do you read between the lines I'm suggesting a Duker living in North America to swap his RBE for a PowerTRONIC unit?
Have I even mentioned this PT unit in my post?
Could it perhaps be that someone on this forum is trying to help a fellow Duker solve an issue he/she came on here to seek answers?
Carry on.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I’ve seen no evidence that the RBE unit is faulty despite your claims. I’m seeing predictable behaviour in an auto tune unit. I’ve already suggested consulting the manufacturer. If you are just trying to help why are you claiming the unit is faulty?

People including those from Laos and Thailand will search when they are looking for a unit to buy, and it’s likely that search will bring them here. So I have to wonder why you are suggesting that RBE are selling faulty units when we have no evidence this is the case.

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts
I guess my English isn't sufficient.

In diagnosing the dashboard light coming on after ANY piggyback installation, it is best to bypass the piggyback and see if this solves the LED issue.
If the light goes out, contact the supplier of your piggyback (yes also PowerTRONIC) as in such case, most likely, the piggyback of your choice (or budget) is either not functioning correctly or you have not installed the wiring the way it was intended.
2 more cents.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I agree and this is the obvious response. But this is the right response for a unit which uses fixed maps such as PowerTronic, Power Commander etc. If the light comes on the map needs to be adjusted and you shouldn’t ride the bike with the unit until the map is corrected. Of course if you have modified a gen 2 bike such that it needs a piggyback then you shouldn’t ride it without one either.

But this is not the correct approach with an auto tune unit. If you research back in the forum to previously reported times when the same issue has arisen with the RBE unit, in every case where we have follow up the light goes away as the unit self corrects the map. If you unplug it, it cannot build the correct map. Sending it back to RBE does not correct the problem. Since it appears that RBE use an overly rich map as the starting point there seems little risk of damage - see below for comment.

I’m sure there will be situations where the RBE unit will not be able to adjust such as high altitude and a specific map will be needed. But should such a bike ever be ridden to low altitude then it would need to switch maps. For this reason I’d always recommend talking to RB when getting an error code. But I would do this before suggesting that the unit was faulty. I suspect at altitude, most piggyback are liable to throw an error code because I doubt the stock map has the ability to measure and correct for altitude and tends to run rich which will throw off the piggyback map adaptation.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It is my opinion: the steps of a RB install should be,
1) perform an ECU reset ( whether it be by idling for 15:30 or via the KTM ECU shop tool if available). This way the ECU is reset to a baseline without any learning? having taken place.

2)Install the RB of your preference (Easy in my case).

3) Start and ride the motorcycle, allowing the learning process to take place from a baseline with the RB installed.

It is my belief, and I can certainly be wrong, that us end users install the piggybacks after running our bikes for XXX amount of miles. The ECU has learned the operating conditions to that point. The piggyback is installed and when the bike is started the ECU receives a new signal from the exhaust sensor that is enriched from the last time it was started and then records a code causing a check engine light to illuminate.

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts
Interesting and most educational observations both Marius and Whyzee,

Thank you.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don’t have any scientific proof Ktmasean. It’s just hypothetical theory on my part.
But I do wonder if it would work, from the standpoint of eliminating the check engine light altogether.

My CEL has remained off as well, Eddyg22

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
After l fitted the more basic “Rapid Bike Easy” unit to my 2019 Duke 390, the check engine light came on after a few rides.
I took the unit off and after a while the light went out.
However the bike was so much smoother (at low RPM) with it fitted, so l emailed the manufacturer
They said to turn the fuelling adjustment (on the RBE) from +2 to +1
Which l did, and the check engine light has stayed off since.
The RBE still works with this adjustment to the settings.
I wonder if any similar adjustments are available on the Evo version.

Just leave it on and ride. Nothing is wrong with the bike. The evi fixes the map and light goes off after a few days riding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sorry, I didn't read much beyond the first page. But I have RBE exclusive, and I do get CEL every now and again. I only checked it the first two times, and it was rich mix.

It always goes away by itself, so I just ride as normal.

·
Registered
665 Posts
It is my opinion: the steps of a RB install should be,

1) perform an ECU reset ( whether it be by idling for 15:30 or via the KTM ECU shop tool if available). This way the ECU is reset to a baseline without any learning? having taken place.

2)Install the RB of your preference (Easy in my case).

3) Start and ride the motorcycle, allowing the learning process to take place from a baseline with the RB installed.

It is my belief, and I can certainly be wrong, that us end users install the piggybacks after running our bikes for XXX amount of miles. The ECU has learned the operating conditions to that point. The piggyback is installed and when the bike is started the ECU receives a new signal from the exhaust sensor that is enriched from the last time it was started and then records a code causing a check engine light to illuminate.

The only suggestion I can add to this would be to do all of this before modifying the bike with anything outside of a slip on. Let the module learn the OEM setup of the bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I actually left the code on. Took about 3 days and it went off. Has stayed off for a week now.
Has your code returned? Mine comes and goes, and i only get it at startup and idle when it does come on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Has your code returned? Mine comes and goes, and i only get it at startup and idle when it does come on.

Mine also comes and goes. It will stay on for a few days then kick off. Just odd to say the least. Bike runs great though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 47 Posts