KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My passenger seat keeps popping up and I can't see anything or any reason why this is happening. It's not locking down for some reason. Looks like I am gonna have to have a shop look at it. I almost lost the seat one day. When I got home the passenger seat was pretty much just laying there over the hole totally loose and not connected or locked down.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Jeff

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think there is a spring which keeps the closing mechanism closed. It should be easy to check if the spring is there and if it only opens if you turn the key.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You...maybe the spring is gone then....I'll look in the morning for it

·
Registered
195 Posts
you might also find the 'catch' area could be slightly rounded from use which might allow it to slip out

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thank you! This bike is like new....it is 2019 with 1300 miles....never really took back seat off accept when I put a tail tidy fender eliminator on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
have a look around all the parts you moved or changed and make sure everything is seated correctly and no new parts are causing an obstruction

·
Registered
355 Posts
Should be a bit of grease on the pin that protrudes down into the locking latch.
After all is checked out and you reinstall the seat, press really hard directly from above the seat pin area and you should hear an audible sound when the catch engages the pin.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have cowl on the back of mine, don't know if this make a difference but the seat does not always just pop back in I find using the key to lock instead of pushing down and hoping its pops in place. basically turn the key like you would when unlocking, it push down on seat while turning key to lock it again works for me,

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have the cowl too. Was trying to make it easy for the OP. Try both methods to get it latched.
Easy enough to check to see if it worked, just pull up

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Folks,

When I first got my 390 Duke, the passenger seat was very hard to lock down. I filed off a very small amount off of the locking pin so that the latch would catch easier. Solved the problem.

Cheers!
Craig

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys,
My passenger seat keeps popping up and I can't see anything or any reason why this is happening. It's not locking down for some reason. Looks like I am gonna have to have a shop look at it. I almost lost the seat one day. When I got home the passenger seat was pretty much just laying there over the hole totally loose and not connected or locked down.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Jeff
OK I am not seeing anything that can be causing this. It just looks like the pin/hook is not locking good. The spring seems to be working good. I don't know....sucks you cannot see down in there when the seat is pushed down into place. No wires are in the way

·
Registered
195 Posts
ok another thing you can do to give you an indication of what might be happening,
colour in the locking mechanism and the seat post with paint or marker pen etc. all around where the two parts meet, then fit the seat and release it a few times so that the coloured in parts get the colour worn off, it should tell you how they meet or if they are out of line

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jeff,

It's because the locking pin is not going down far enough for the lock to spring into place. If you file about 1/8th of an inch out of the bottom of the slot on the pin it will engage. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my explanation earlier.

Craig

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jeff,

It's because the locking pin is not going down far enough for the lock to spring into place. If you file about 1/8th of an inch out of the bottom of the slot on the pin it will engage. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my explanation earlier.

Craig
Thank You Craig! Very grateful....if this is the problem and your solution works I have to wonder why such a problem exists...something bent or not formed right in manufacturing maybe....in any case I will give this a try and if it does not work out for me I will let the KTM shop locally look into it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Folks,

When I first got my 390 Duke, the passenger seat was very hard to lock down. I filed off a very small amount off of the locking pin so that the latch would catch easier. Solved the problem.

Cheers!
Craig
Craig, I never saw this response until tonight...I'm sorry you never heard a reply from me on this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok another thing you can do to give you an indication of what might be happening,
colour in the locking mechanism and the seat post with paint or marker pen etc. all around where the two parts meet, then fit the seat and release it a few times so that the coloured in parts get the colour worn off, it should tell you how they meet or if they are out of line
I appreciate all the time you have spent on this and want to thank you for your suggestions....

·
Registered
12 Posts
This happened on my new 2019 as well. Dealer had to swap the locking mechanism from another bike. I bet fling the slot would work. I couldn't see another reason. The locking mechanism tab was a little bit bent and that was all it took to not engage the seat post

·
Registered
671 Posts
Mine’s similar.
I dismantled the mechanism and it seemed fine, and there are no adjustments.
I found that if you install the seat, then thump the seat above the locking mechanism with your fist, the mechanism locks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was going to start a new thread on this very issue, and came across this one. Back in February when I first brought the Duke home (brand new 2019) I noticed that the seat would not latch until after it set for a while (few minutes?) It seemed to latch, I pushed on it very hard, hit it with my fist, everything, but you could still pull it right back up without disengaging the key lock. Let it set for a while, and it was solid. So I figured it was because the grease was cold (43 north latitude in the winter). The dealer was closed at the time due to covid. When I later took the bike in for some work, I forgot to mention it. The seat was locking without any issues.

So guess what.... ride back from work a couple days ago, got home, threw my leg off and see the pillion seat is GONE. FUGHUE. Luckily I didn't lose my tools or registration/insurance cards. I re-traced my commute, 12 miles one way, and couldn't find it. Dealer said it is not covered by warranty.

The KTM pillion seat cover is on order now. For $100, I'm not sure if it covers the existing seat, or do I need to also buy the plastic base. (?) I simply have not had enough time to research this yet - the description for this product is clear as mud.

Edit This one: KTM Pillion Seat Cover 390 Duke 2017-2020

1 - 20 of 21 Posts