KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am struggling to find a replacement rear shock for less than $1000 dollars new. By the time I pay USA / EU conversion to Australian dollars a $600 shock becomes a $950 shock landed here. Paying one thousand dollars for a rear shock on a bike that costs $6000 new doesn't make any sense to my wallet... my brain says yes yes yes but seriously that cost vs the purchase price is insane?

Admittedly selling the bike I might get some money back on the shock and replace the stock one but the market for 390 rear shocks id dare say is beyond slim second hand.

According to reports the R6 shock will NOT fit the 2020 390 Duke so that option is out. Anyone have any ideas on an option other than dumping far far too much money into a small bike just to get it to ride as it should?

Cheers in advance for any ideas as we are literally stumped here

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These are 2 options I'm looking at the moment to give an idea..

·
Registered
48 Posts
I put an M-Shock on mine. Transformed the bike. But, I'm in the UK, bike cost £3000, shock slightly less than £300. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Kermit is your shock the $395 pound one that has ONE adjuster that adjusts both compression and rebound via the same screw?

I've never seen this system before so was curious as to how you feel it works vs one adjuster for compression and one adjuster for rebound?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the plunge and ordered the racing Bros rear shock. Guess if we keep the bike for 5 years its a cost breakdown of $200 per year for the ability to ride it without dragging its ass on that dead shock it came with so fingers crossed! I will update this thread once it is fitted and let others know how it performs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My M-Shock was the same as above but due to being a business I didn't have to pay the 20% sales tax (VAT). I'm fairly heavy (104kg naked) so getting the correct spring was the first thing. Then most crucial, was setting the sag. I ended up adding quite a lot of pre-load on the shock and about 4mm of extra preload in the forks. It made the bike feel so good I never bothered with adjusting the dampening.

·
Registered
48 Posts
One other thing to think about is the gearing. The stock 15/45 was way too short. I fitted a 42 rear (from a Duke 200) and that made a big RL difference. The stock chain was used with no problems.

·
Registered
788 Posts
What's wrong worth the standard rear shock? Mine seems fine, certainly in keeping with the general expectation of a lightweight street bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It has a very soft progressive rate spring. Unsuitable for heavier people. Put a stiffer spring on it and the dampening becomes insufficient. It's built down to a price for predominately the Asian market. Westerners are often a bit heavier.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm 103 kgs unsuited and when i sit on ours it compresses COMPLETELY to the bump stop and does not come back up 1mm. It is complete junk and the front end is rubbish to say the least as well. Sure they work fine if youre under 70kgs and dont push the bike hard but for those who enjoy knee down and pushing things the entire suspension package is a joke. Then again when your only paying $6k for a brand new bike i guess they had to cut corners somewhere....

·
Registered
478 Posts
Has anybody tried to fit the 390 Adventure WP Apex shock to the 390 Duke? Apex system should be more adjustable than the generic WP shocks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Andy,might i ask if there is a chance for you to find a used shock in Australia? i am asking 'cause here in Turkey there are duke 390 used shocks like 100 dolars which are probably done less than 20k kms.
This seems relatively cheap and i remember reading some review about that shock

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HI Atinc, I actually have a used 390 rear shock sitting on the shelf in my garage but the standard shock is of no use to me as it is far too softly sprung for me to even ride on. The new rear shock should be here in 14 days so I'm looking forward to that. I am in the process of communicating with a seller regarding the fork cartridges as we speak. The local bike suspension shop is sorting us a quote to sort our stock fork internals but he wants to see the bike first so thats going to be this weekend hopefully and then we will decide which option to pursue regarding the front end.

We got the piggy back Ecu fitted last night and boy oh boy it now rides with zero surging and what a difference!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Glad to hear those process on your bike...what i read about the rear shock is,both ohlins and yys are fine,but ohlins costs around 600 euro i guess.btw i am gonna change the seals and oil on forks in may

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haven't tried Nitron tbh. To be fair I don't think this bike was intended for people who weigh 106kgs+ suited up but it's just insane how expensive suspension is. Lucky for me the mrs rides so spending money on bikes won't get me locked in the doghouse :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check the forks before spend money. The 16 had cartridge forks. The 17 not.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts