KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
The 16 had cartridge forks. The 17 not.
As far as I can tell, both have open cartridge forks.

I was looking at this on Ebay Andreani Fork Cartridge Kit for '17-'19 KTM 390 Through Bolt 105/KT7e 105/KT7 | eBay .. but I am taking a shot in the dark at best when it comes to forks and suspension internals.
FWIW, I've installed those and wrote some posts about it in this thread: Installing Andreani 105/KT7E fork inserts in a post-2017...

·
Registered
48 Posts
As far as I can tell, both have open cartridge forks.

FWIW, I've installed those and wrote some posts about it in this thread: Installing Andreani 105/KT7E fork inserts in a post-2017...
Below is part of an email thread I had with Matt at Formula 390.

Sent: 23 September 2018 15:13
To:Kermit
Subject:
RE: R6 shock assembly and springs

Huh, well I'm just TOTALLY baffled! Yes the Racetech springs would be shorter, but I've not seen any forks on a 390 where the springs don't reside in the lower section. There is then a long rod between the upper and lower fork legs. It's a wacky fork design! I've NEVER had anyone report the Duke has different internals.

Unfortunately, KTM doesn't supply fork internals, so their online parts fiche only shows the legs. Whole. No details on what's inside. So... I started digging.

Son of a bitch! In 2017 they changed the forks to traditional inner workings! I'm sorry sir! I admit, I don't follow the Duke much, but this was a complete shock to me! :(

Is there anything I can do to make this right?
On September 22, 2018 10:36:08 AM CDT, Kermit wrote:
Hi Matt,
I attacked the forks today. With the top cap removed the OEM spring just slides out. No need to take the foot off. The K-Tech springs supplied (585173-10) are shorter than the OEM springs, 315mm vs 345mm for the OEM. Not a problem I thought so I made up a 50mm packer for the first attempt. PVC tube, easy to cut down if it’s too long. However the K-Tech spring has too small an ID. 24mm and the minimum ID to go over the cartridge is 26mm.

I’d specced up the packer as nominal 28mm ID, 37mm OD (same size as the OEM nylon packers) with a minimum ID of 26mm and a maximum OD of 39.5mm.

Some pics here. forksprings

I’m putting the OEM springs back in with a little extra pre-load (using the steel washers you supplied) and wait to see what you suggest

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Back shock is fitted and looking sexy! Taking her up the mountain tmrw for a spin. It is still going to be too soft for me but at least I have suspension that doesn't sit on the bump stop at my weight :)

·
Registered
2018 390 Duke
11 Posts
Back shock is fitted and looking sexy! Taking her up the mountain tmrw for a spin. It is still going to be too soft for me but at least I have suspension that doesn't sit on the bump stop at my weight :)

View attachment 53034
Reviving a dead thread here, I know, but Andy was there any change to the seat height or total suspension length on the rear with the RacingBros shock? I haven't been able to find info on retailers or RacingBros sites detailing the length of the shock.

Thanks,

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I cant recall the number but we measured it and the height was the same after initial install. I have since wound it up 10mm in the rear and the little rocket corners and rides like an absolute dream now. I have yet to mess with the front as I havent found the need just yet. Once work slows down I most definitely need to replace the front rotor and pads or the entire front brake from bars to rotors as it's pretty much rubbish... the bank account is getting hammered by this bike but it's just too much fun not to spend the dollars on it :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put an R6 shock upside down on my 2019 (same as 2018 and 2020). I ground a bit, maybe 2 mm off top of ribs on swing arm. Cheap and works great.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I too had the R6 on my previous 390's but compared to this its chalk and cheese. Then again youde want it to be for the price but its horses for courses :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I meant the R6 shock was a decent shock in its day but most you find on ebay are half dead at best or in need of a decent freshen up. Its still a much better option than riding on the rubbish standard shock though.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts