KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just over 3500 miles and already have steel showing.

Looking for recommendations for sport-touring types of tires. I don’t normally ride short distances so longevity is up there in the priorities list.
Remember reading somewhere that going with a 140 rear was a solid deviation from standard.

Let’s have them recommendations!

Deuces
IMG_1689.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just over 3500 miles and already have steel showing.

Looking for recommendations for sport-touring types of tires. I don’t normally ride short distances so longevity is up there in the priorities list.
Remember reading somewhere that going with a 140 rear was a solid deviation from standard.

Let’s have them recommendations!

Deuces
View attachment 45818

For what you are looking for in a tire, Id pursue the Pirelli Angel GT, long life and great performance. I always switch between those and the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3s on all of my bikes

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn. Went with the Michelin Pilot Street after a short reviews search since I didn’t get any responses.
Guess everyone was too concerned with their TFTs being wonky because of the crap programming.

Had a lot of Dunlop Q2s but wanted something with more longevity.
Never rode any Pirelli tires. Always thought they were pricey and more track oriented than the riding I was doing. This is my first standard so I’ll have to remember your suggestion. Thanks.

Deuces

·
Registered
65 Posts
Darn. Went with the Michelin Pilot Street after a short reviews search since I didn’t get any responses.
Guess everyone was too concerned with their TFTs being wonky because of the crap programming.

Had a lot of Dunlop Q2s but wanted something with more longevity.
Never rode any Pirelli tires. Always thought they were pricey and more track oriented than the riding I was doing. This is my first standard so I’ll have to remember your suggestion. Thanks.

Deuces
Installed Michelin Pilot Street 140/70 today on my 2016 duke 390. How have they been for you?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm really interested in your life experiences with the Michelins.
According to the reviews with the combination of rubber types used these must be a great new system.
Only not leaning over a 35% angle in the wet I have read, as you get on the sliks part of the tire then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
anyone have experience with Michelin Power RS Tires? thinking might go with 140/70 for spirited track days and hill country rides. I don't ride long distance on the duke.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for the Michelin Pilot Streets, I have only been able to do a couple hundred commuting miles on them but I like them so far. May just be a mental thing but it feels less squirrelly in the back even with the stock shock.

Deuces

·
Registered
900 Posts
Michelin Pilot S5

What size did you end up getting? 150/60 or the 140/70?

As for the Michelin Pilot Streets, I have only been able to do a couple hundred commuting miles on them but I like them so far. May just be a mental thing but it feels less squirrelly in the back even with the stock shock.

Deuces

·
Registered
900 Posts
Michelin Pilot S

Thanks,

I had to look up squirrelly (restless, nervous, or unpredictable. "I got all squirrelly after you left").
This might have to do with the fact that this tire size fits the rim and is higher 70 vs 60

Went with the 140. Reasoning seemed solid. So don’t know what the Michelin Pilot Street is like in the standard 150.

Deuces

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just ordered Continental Sport Attack 3

150/60 17
Great reviews
Wish they made the 140
Oh well
I was happy with the stock sizing anyway

Will report back once it’s installed

·
Registered
900 Posts
Continental

Greg,

Any reason you bought the Continental this early?
At 7,200 km you still have at least that number still to go, no?
On my standard Pirelli's I'm at 15,000+ and still okay.

I have my tire but not installed yet.
I have 7200 km on my original Metzelars which I love by the way. I hope this continental will be as good.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Michelin Power RS

Hi phlego,

Thank you very much for your post with findings.
Can you say some more on the new rubber?
In what sense you experience the huge improvement over the Pirelli Diablo R2?
Thanking you in advance,

didn't get any response about the power RS but I went and bought them anyway. came in 140/70 rear too. tires were huge improvement over the stock diablo R2.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi phlego,

Thank you very much for your post with findings.
Can you say some more on the new rubber?
In what sense you experience the huge improvement over the Pirelli Diablo R2?
Thanking you in advance,
i had two tracks days on the r2 and when getting aggressive on lean you could feel the rear slip here and there, and a weird 'wiggle' when initiating aggressive turn in. around the street they were fine, but not so much for track.

the power rs instantly felt sharper and stickier. went all day at some serious high speed turns and never felt like they were slipping at all. tons of confidence. they heated up really fast too. Just made the bike even more nimble than it already is.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts