KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

Rear tire. What non-stock are you running?

14K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  T-Mack 
#1 ·
Just over 3500 miles and already have steel showing.

Looking for recommendations for sport-touring types of tires. I don’t normally ride short distances so longevity is up there in the priorities list.
Remember reading somewhere that going with a 140 rear was a solid deviation from standard.

Let’s have them recommendations!

Deuces
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Automotive wheel system Wheel

See less See more
#2 ·
Just over 3500 miles and already have steel showing.

Looking for recommendations for sport-touring types of tires. I don’t normally ride short distances so longevity is up there in the priorities list.
Remember reading somewhere that going with a 140 rear was a solid deviation from standard.

Let’s have them recommendations!

Deuces
View attachment 45818

For what you are looking for in a tire, Id pursue the Pirelli Angel GT, long life and great performance. I always switch between those and the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3s on all of my bikes

#3 ·
Darn. Went with the Michelin Pilot Street after a short reviews search since I didn’t get any responses.
Guess everyone was too concerned with their TFTs being wonky because of the crap programming.

Had a lot of Dunlop Q2s but wanted something with more longevity.
Never rode any Pirelli tires. Always thought they were pricey and more track oriented than the riding I was doing. This is my first standard so I’ll have to remember your suggestion. Thanks.

Deuces

#5 ·
Hi guys,

I'm really interested in your life experiences with the Michelins.
According to the reviews with the combination of rubber types used these must be a great new system.
Only not leaning over a 35% angle in the wet I have read, as you get on the sliks part of the tire then.

#10 ·
Michelin Pilot S

Thanks,

I had to look up squirrelly (restless, nervous, or unpredictable. "I got all squirrelly after you left").
This might have to do with the fact that this tire size fits the rim and is higher 70 vs 60

#19 ·
Michelin Power RS

Hi phlego,

Thank you very much for your post with findings.
Can you say some more on the new rubber?
In what sense you experience the huge improvement over the Pirelli Diablo R2?
Thanking you in advance,

#21 ·
Great and thanks again phlego,

This may also have to do with the sizing of the Michelin over the Pirelli but whatever made them better for you made them better for you.
After 15,000+ km on my Pirelli's, I will also try the Michelin's 140/70 option.

#25 ·
I have done 2 track days and about 2000miles on the Michellin Pilot Street 140/70

They feel quicker to turn, but generally stable. Great traction at high lean angles and I presume there will be the Michellin longevity that they are renowned for. (I got about 8k miles from the stock tire M7 and M7RR)

I would recommend the 140, but have not tried Michellin Pilot in the 150 size.

I also really like the tread pattern (but that's just met)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.