KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

so a friend of mine showed me this...but i didnt get mine, emailed relevant party to confirm which batch are affected by this.

·
Registered
817 Posts
White ones roughly 2nd or 3rd batch, check your sprocket plate doesnt have any of its identations lining up with the shaft pieces. They should be opposite to stop the plate sliding off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
White ones roughly 2nd or 3rd batch, check your sprocket plate doesnt have any of its identations lining up with the shaft pieces. They should be opposite to stop the plate sliding off.
CKD factory staff called me only certain VIN number affected, mine isnt... she said even if so, can do self check just to confirm. as what @Dan1 said

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Looks like it's time to contact your dealer if you haven't received anything from them about the recall, better get it looked at, brake fade is such a PITA!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so it seem KTM have better solution for this :D

We’ve occasionally heard reports of incidents where the front sprocket of the KTM 390 Duke has come off, sometimes with serious consequences. Recent reports suggested that KTM has begun to address this issue with dealers being equipped to replace the old front sprocket with a new modified item.
Though no official statement has been released, we can now confirm that sprocket replacements have already begun across dealerships for the 390, with one of ThrillOfDriving.com’s fleet bikes already in service for a free replacement, with others in line.
Our dealer sources have confirmed that there was an issue with the front sprockets which will be rectified free of cost on bikes manufactured before March 2014. Bikes manufactured after this date are unaffected and will not need a replacement.
Update
We’ve just received one of our fleet bikes from service, where they did indeed replace the front sprocket. The problem, in fact, lies in the locking plate that holds the sprocket in place. Prior to March 2014, the plate was a symmetrical design that could be mounted incorrectly, leaving the sprocket free to slide off. The problem does not manifest when the chain is under tension, but as soon as it’s loose, there’s the potential for the sprocket to be dislodged.
The new locking plate is asymmetrical in design and designed to avoid human error in installation. While KTM/Bajaj could well have just replaced the plate, they’re replacing the sprocket as well for good measure.

SOS

·
Registered
609 Posts
For those of us with a manufacturing date of March 2014, it would be nice to see a VIN where the change was made. "March" is not a date!

·
Registered
258 Posts
lol just got new sprocket from ebay and it has offset holes from the centre line for a slide to one side lock washer which my 13 doesnt have any more info on the lock washer change ???????

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
they not only changed the locking washer bolt hole pattern they bundled it with sprocket so you cant buy separately 14- microfiche shows clear diferance in plates

emailed drysdales as ebay sprocket supplier perfmoto didnt know about early 13 design locking plate

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts