KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

New to the forum. I have ridden Hondas up until now. I am looking at throwing down some $ for a 2020 Duke 390. I am super keen but have read "mixed" reports of reliability issues. I would be planning on using as a daily commuter with the occasional rip up into the hills where I live.
Keen to hear people's experience with owning the bike - pros, cons and any general feedback would be welcome.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you're interested in anecdotal evidence, mine broke 2500 km since new (fixed on warranty). My friend's broke as well, I think twice, within 10 000km. I don't think they're super reliable. Great fun, great performance, but nowhere near Honda reliability :(

I don't have any statistical data to confidently say how common the problems are. I might be biased.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're interested in anecdotal evidence, mine broke 2500 km since new (fixed on warranty). My friend's broke as well, I think twice, within 10 000km. I don't think they're super reliable. Great fun, great performance, but nowhere near Honda reliability :(

I don't have any statistical data to confidently say how common the problems are. I might be biased.
Thanks for the feedback. Do you mind telling me what year model you own/owned?

I figured they wouldn’t be as reliable as a Honda...but just keen to see how people have found them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
if you keep changing the engine oil,maintain the coolant...if you dont revv for top speeds cause its a single cylinder,if you treat her well duke 390 will be fine as much as the other bikes period.reliable issues my bla bla :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you keep changing the engine oil,maintain the coolant...if you dont revv for top speeds cause its a single cylinder,if you treat her well duke 390 will be fine as much as the other bikes period.reliable issues my bla bla :)
Good advice... guess that's the same with all bikes if you treat them like crap... well what can you expect... I reacon I'm convinced just narrowing down year models on the used market...

·
Registered
78 Posts
The reliable issues with the ktm is,ktm has been producing street bikes since like 2010 or so.it is kind of new and riders are a bit curious about that.i am no engineer but as far as i can tell ktm is doing fine with duke and other series...

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
1951 the R100 saw the light of day, the first street bike manufactured by KTM

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Do you mind telling me what year model you own/owned?

Admittedly, the bike broke when I was trying out a top speed run. The dealer claimed:
  • he's never seen that kind of malfunction before (valve clearances zeroed out)
  • the KTM central told them this might happen if the bike is pushed too much before it's "fully broken in"
  • after valve clearances were reset, the bikes runs well

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Admittedly, the bike broke when I was trying out a top speed run. The dealer claimed:
  • he's never seen that kind of malfunction before (valve clearances zeroed out)
  • the KTM central told them this might happen if the bike is pushed too much before it's "fully broken in"
  • after valve clearances were reset, the bikes runs well
Thanks heaps. Looking at a 2017 model...pick up on Sat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts