KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KTM Adventure 390. 🍊 No quick shifter.
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few words about the taller windshield that I found that is not the one sold in KTM powerparts.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

When mounted on the upper mounting hole, it provides an almost perfect protection from the wind to the body and shoulders.
I don’t feel any wind on my body wich is great, but there is a pronounced wind noise coming to the upper part of the helmet and on the visor above 80km/h if your height is 180cm (6’) or more. If you’re shorter than that you may not have a wind noise problem to such an extent. This windshield was designed for shorter population.
It is a better windshield than stock because at speeds below 80km/h (50mi/h) the wind noice is minimal and it’s much more comfortable now, especially in the rain as the windshield helps to create an air bubble to some extent and I don’t get as wet, but if you’re 6’ or taller you will need earplugs for sure and you will not be able to listen to podcasts or much of the music on the highway. If you don’t wear earplugs you will ruin your hearing faster as wind noise is the main cause for those problems.
Going 120km/h I didn’t really feel the bubble head effect that much, but the wind at that higher speed does vibrate your head at a high frequency enough to slightly blurr your vision, so on longer trips you will get tired faster. I found that if you crouch forward a bit to hide your helmet behind the screen it’s perfect, but you can’t ride like that for long.
Putting it in the lower hole does make it sturdier and look better. I haven’t tried riding with the windshield in the lower mounting point, so I will post an update soon. Over all, for me it’s still an upgrade, because I don’t go long distances on the highway and most of the time spend my time at speeds of 90km/h and below. If you’re short this maybe a perfect windshield for you at $90 (CA).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update, after mounting the windshield on the lower mounting hole the wind noise is much worse! It starts at 50km/h and becomes absolutely unbearable at 70km/h. It’s deafening at 80km/h and you cannot hear your own engine. Permanent brain damage is expected at 90km/h and your brain explodes at 100km/h 😝.
Seriously, just mount it on to upper mounting hole and go deaf at 130km/h unless you’re short. Lol.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@fabbrisd thanks, yes, I saw the Givi windshield, but it costs an arm and a head and I’m not even sure that it’s going to work. I put my current windshield into the upper mounting hole and that’s going to work for me. I’m already used to it. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another update:
I started cutting this plastic windshield trying to trim it to get less wind noise and I partially succeeded. I gave it a different shape by mimicking the shape of the 790/890 Adventure S windshield. It got a little better but not by a lot. So I kept my eye on FB marketplace and today I found the OEM 790 taller windshield for $40 bucks! Hot ****. Now it should fit the 390 mounting bracket but I already see that there's a slight misalignment of the bolts happening. I'll make another update when I will find a way to mount it. The windshield of the 790 Adventure is large enough and it's gorgeous.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ι have the same bought it from AliExpress 50€ perfect fit better than stock thought that I would have way better air protection but still I have to duck a little in order to get protected. I am 6ft 3 tall

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ι have the same bought it from AliExpress 50€ perfect fit better than stock thought that I would have way better air protection but still I have to duck a little in order to get protected. I am 6ft 3 tall

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk
For your height the wind noise may be way less than for my height of 6'.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: The 790 Adventure S windshield does NOT fit into 390 Adventure windscreen bracket. It's a little wider and it simply cannot be inserted in. As a result, I had to order a OEM 790 windscreen bracket and proper bolts and rubber inserts for $45 CA. Not too bad.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Agree but you should really get rid of those lanterns as indicators IMHO :p
Funny you say that. Of all my bikes, this is the ONLY one I have never felt the urge to change those. I changed the rear ones when I put the Tidy Tail on it & the euro tail light, but for some reason on this bike the front ones do not bother me at all.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update about the 790 windshield on 390 Adventure:
People, I have reached the top of the mountain! The 790 windshield bracket finally arrived and after testing the 790 windshield here are my findings on the upper mounting position:
  1. Under 90km/h (55mph) there's no wind buffeting at all and i don't feel the wind on my chest or neck; just on my exposed arms. Very good. Better than the Chinese after market one for our 390 adventure bikes.
  2. After 90km/h the chest and neck are still protected well. The helmet recieved ~70% less buffeting than with the aftermarket Chinese windscreen. I can actually hear podcasts and some music at 120km/h (~70mph). Wow!!! I'm extremely impressed with the performance of 790 windscreen. I don't know what they did to it, but it works way better than the cheap Chinese one and than the original small screen.
I will test the lower mounting position later, but the point is that if you're doing a lot of highway riding this is definitely a recommended upgrade. I got the 790 S screen for $40ca on FB marketplace and the new bracket and bolts/bushings for it was like $50 total. (You have to get the new bolts and bushings! The 390 ones are different and won't fit.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts