KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Duke 390
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve already put 1200 miles on my 2015 duke390 and I’m still not super comfortable with the way it shifts. It’s my first ktm and first single cylinder, but the bike seems really jerky when shifting, 1 to 2nd gear needs to be shifting between 8-15mph otherwise it’s gonna jerk hard. Clutch also seems to lack precision especially on release, it kinda dumps unless you really feather it.
Does anyone else have the same experience, is that generally how these KTMs are?

·
Administrator
2,426 Posts
No such experience on either the 200 or 390.
What I did notice though that depending on the oil used it can make a difference how the bike(s) shifts and sounds.
If you also encounter false neutrals, there is a solution by FactoryPro.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I actually find you need to do the opposite. For one, a good quality oil will help as well. Do not baby the clutch and the shift. Shift quickly and smoothly. One thing that did help me was when I installed the gray area ktm shift shaft support bracket and short shifter. That short shifter makes shifting super nice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just shimmed the cush drive on mine today. Surprising amount of slop at just over 1000miles. Probably help your issue if you have alot of play. To check put on padock stand and into first gear, rock wheel back and forth and watch the rear sprocket for roational play.

·
Registered
Duke 390. Surprising huh…..
363 Posts
I just shimmed the cush drive on mine today. Surprising amount of slop at just over 1000miles. Probably help your issue if you have alot of play. To check put on padock stand and into first gear, rock wheel back and forth and watch the rear sprocket for roational play.
What material did you use for shims for reference…..insertion rubber or similar ?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I’ve already put 1200 miles on my 2015 duke390 and I’m still not super comfortable with the way it shifts. It’s my first ktm and first single cylinder, but the bike seems really jerky when shifting, 1 to 2nd gear needs to be shifting between 8-15mph otherwise it’s gonna jerk hard. Clutch also seems to lack precision especially on release, it kinda dumps unless you really feather it.
Does anyone else have the same experience, is that generally how these KTMs are?
Personal experience on my 2016, this is one of the smoothest shifting bikes I've ever owned. You need much higher RPM when you shift though, trying to baby this bike will result in an unfriendly ride, it was made to beat on :cool:..... Clutch may also be in need of adjustment, depending on where it engages. I like mine engaging out a bit further than most so I can one finger clutch without pulling it all the way to the bar, and after the 1-2 shift I don't even use the clutch, just a quick twitch off (not full off) the throttle at the same time as the shift results in very smooth shifts :).

·
Registered
Duke 390. Surprising huh…..
363 Posts
Hey there, my wife had some plastic folders that she kept files in. I cut a 20mm strip off of one and used pieces of it to take the slack up. Feels a lot better. Thin plastic like a margarine tub lid thickness.
Awesome. Just getting some knowledge together - ready for when i might need it !

·
Registered
2016 Duke 390
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Going with the rough shifting question:
Can you guys tell me what exactly happened today?
I was coasting down hill and decided to shift down and put the bike into N while squeezing the clutch. Approaching the bottom of the hill, around 35 I decided its time to put bike into gear, i was going for 3rd. As I was still squeezing the clutch and shifted from N to 2nd, I heard a loud thump/crack . Bike went into second, as if the gear engaged way too high of speed. I dont really understand why that happened if I was holding the clutch the whole time.

It appears that bike shifts fine and I dont think I caused any damage, although 2nd gear feels a bit mushy, but that might be just my mind playing with me.

Clutch seems to be adjusted fine, and doesnt engage until almost fully released.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hmmm, I was going to say maybe it was your clutch adjustment, but you said that is good to go. There is usually a little contact or at least can be since oil between the clutch plates can bind of bind them together. What you experienced could be due to a large difference in engine speed and the clutch basket speed. Do you know how to blip your throttle when down shifting? I pretty much always do so while engine braking.

·
Registered
2016 Duke 390
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm, I was going to say maybe it was your clutch adjustment, but you said that is good to go. There is usually a little contact or at least can be since oil between the clutch plates can bind of bind them together. What you experienced could be due to a large difference in engine speed and the clutch basket speed. Do you know how to blip your throttle when down shifting? I pretty much always do so while engine braking.
Yup been practicing, throttle/engine braking for downshifting,.
I think you are right, there must have been some sort of clutch engagement, because, in theory if the transmission in disconnected, shifting gears shouldnt be any more than just cogwheels moving in place, regardless of the rear wheel speed.

·
Administrator
2,426 Posts
MelniK,

I have no explanation for your question right now but as in a recent thread mentioned, try not to free wheel ever when riding your bike.
Being in the correct gear for your speed and rpm's will enable you far better to react to any unpredictable event(s) that might cross your path.
Rev matching when planning to sift to a lower gear number will become natural with practice.

I was coasting down hill and decided to shift down and put the bike into N while squeezing the clutch. Approaching the bottom of the hill, around 35 I decided its time to put bike into gear, i was going for 3rd. As I was still squeezing the clutch and shifted from N to 2nd, I heard a loud thump/crack . Bike went into second, as if the gear engaged way too high of speed. I dont really understand why that happened if I was holding the clutch the whole time.

It appears that bike shifts fine and I dont think I caused any damage, although 2nd gear feels a bit mushy, but that might be just my mind playing with me.

Clutch seems to be adjusted fine, and doesnt engage until almost fully released.

·
Registered
407 Posts

If you were coasting at idle RPM, the RPM were not high enough to shift from N to 2 at the speed you were going. A blip of the throttle will make that transition smoother.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts